Skip to main content
Topic: Replacement of Main / Patio Awning with powered awning (Read 3444 times) previous topic - next topic

Replacement of Main / Patio Awning with powered awning

Yahoo Message Number: 91537
Any ideas or experience with replacing the original Zip Dee manual awning with a powered awning? We have a 2002 40 foot Intrigue with the Zip Dee Awning. This is the second Intrigue we have had with this awning so I'm pretty experienced with it. At time I think it would be nice to have a power awning. Any suggestion?

Thanks
Don

2002 40 foot Intrigue

Re: Replacement of Main / Patio Awning with powered awning

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 91538
Hi Don, Our 2002 Intrigue #11329 came with the Girard Systems power awing from the CC factory. Its 21'7" long and has the anemometer mounted on the roof to protect against winds in excess of 22 mph. This spring after 11 years of use we had the Sunbrella fabric replaced 'at Girard' in San Clemete, Ca. Their service dept. was professional, let us spend the night before at the plant, and had the fabric replaced and on our way by 10am the next day. We had called in advance for an appointment and the replacement fabric was already sewn with new piping ready when we arrived.....Hope this helps your choice....Skip

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 91539
We've got a 98 Intrigue and have been looking at electric awnings for over a year. Not an easy installation for an awning with arms. Several problems, the ZipDee goes over the door and the distance between the door and the windshield is minimal. We like(ed) the WeatherPro with (Basement model, has 18" drop). Can't mount it high enough (without modifications) to get the drop. I think the regular WeatherPro would mount in the same place along the roof as the ZipDee.

Talked to several Installers and they won't mount the awning due to the spacing between the windshield and the door. (Talked to Camping World and Lazy Days among others).

Came up with an engineering solution for mounting it higher, build a mount that raises the roof connection similar to those used on slide outs. Still no takers. Did call Country Coach and they said they could mount it, not sure they really understood my design. Would probably be expensive and we're a long way away at the moment.

Had another idea, we have window awnings on the passenger side. Move the awning back and mount it behind the first side window and the bedroom window, could me a normal mounting. Then use a separate door awning. They would probably mount those.
The other option is to us a cantilever awning, Girard or Carefree. Both are really expensive especially the Girard.

Looked at the automatic ZipDee on line, looks like that one might work. Not sure how reliable they are. They seem to be made for Airstream. Called Airstream about 6 months ago and they hadn't mounted very many (if any), may check again, looks like they would mount between the door and the windshield, there is no vertical track that mounts against the body. Haven't talked to ZipDee yet.

Not sure what we're going to do. Considering a new paint job, need to decide before we have that done. I guess at the moment we're spending our money elsewhere!!

Judy n Joe

98 Intrigue 10578

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 91540
Foretravel and a few Prevost conversions used the Powered Zip Dee Awning way in the past. And what I

learned from attending seminars at CC and talking with CC service techs was the main problem was lack

of periodic maintenance. They have to be kept clean and yet lubricated with a light layer to allow easy

movement of the sliding parts. I understand it was a real pain on the Prevosts as they were so tall. I

had an awning that went from end cap to end cap on my 34' Limited Airstream trailer built in the 80's.

It was serviced every spring and never gave me an issue in 10 years of use.
It wasn't as flexible as the

Manual awning on my 98 Allure, in setting angles, etc, but always seemed to work. In fact I had the

Carefree and A&E awnings taken off my 2004 Intrigue and Zip dee manual awnings installed. Only the

A&E Powered Patio awning remains, and it isn't of much use as it comes straight out with very little

slope. Maybe some day I'll have replaced with two Zip dees! KISS is my thought on the subject. A CC

owner with a similar Intrigue had all the awnings removed and Girards installed some years ago.

$15,000.00.
TWI 2004 Intrigue 11731

Original email:
-----------------

To: Country-Coach-Owners@yahoogroups.com Subject: [Country-Coach-Owners] RE: Replacement of Main / Patio Awning with powered awning

We've got a 98 Intrigue and have been looking at electric

awnings for over a year. Not an easy installation for an awning with arms.
Several problems, the ZipDee goes over the door and the distance between the

door and the windshield is minimal. We like(ed) the WeatherPro with (Basement

model, has 18" drop). Can't mount it high enough (without modifications) to get

the drop. I think the regular WeatherPro would mount in the same place along

the roof as the ZipDee.

Talked to several Installers and they won't mount the

awning due to the spacing between the windshield and the door. (Talked to Camping World and Lazy Days among others).

Came up with an engineering solution for mounting it

higher, build a mount that raises the roof connection similar to those used on slide outs. Still no takers. Did call Country Coach and they said they could

mount it, not sure they really understood my design. Would probably be expensive and we're a long way away at the moment.

Had another idea, we have window awnings on the passenger

side. Move the awning back and mount it behind the first side window and the

bedroom window, could me a normal mounting. Then use a separate door awning.

They would probably mount those.

The other option is to us a cantilever awning, Girard or

Carefree. Both are really expensive especially the Girard.

Looked at the automatic ZipDee on line, looks like that

one might work. Not sure how reliable they are. They seem to be made for Airstream. Called Airstream about 6 months ago and they hadn't mounted very

many (if any), may check again, looks like they would mount between the door and

the windshield, there is no vertical track that mounts against the body. Haven't talked to ZipDee yet.

Not sure what we're going to do.
Considering a new paint

job, need to decide before we have that done. I guess at the moment we're spending our money elsewhere!!

Judy n Joe
98 Intrigue

---In

Country-Coach-Owners@yahoogroups.com, coach-owners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

id="ygrps-yiv-534594511">Any ideas or experience with replacing the original Zip Dee manual awning with a powered awning? We have a 2002

40 foot Intrigue with the Zip Dee Awning. This is the second Intrigue we have had with this awning so

I'm pretty experienced with it. At time I think it would be nice to have a power awning. Any suggestion?

Thanks
Don

2002 40 foot Intrigue

mail2web.com - Microsoft® Exchange solutions from a leading provider - http://link.mail2web.com/Business/Exchange

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 91542
ZipDee had a powered awning a few years ago but was and OEM install. Their new powered awning is called the Relax and it's "real new". Was on the drawing boards for a long time. It was always going to be released "next month. They have a video of the Relax on their website installed on an Airstream.

Judy n Joe 98 Intrigue 10578

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 91543
Don,

We went to the Girard factory in San Clemente and picked out a "freight damaged" awning. The damage was minimal and was easily repaired by a sub contractor to Girard. We were able to install an awning over the door and the main awning way less than the cost of the main awning from the CC factory. That price was $5000. Ours is a little long as they have to have access to the wall somewhere in the coach to install the attachment hardware. It starts at the a little before the pax window and ends up just past the cabinet where the washer/dryer is. We have the remote for both awnings and the wind sensor. Girard will change the awning fabric to match what you have in the window awnings. They will arrange for painting to match the coach as all are shipped in the white. Our coach is also a 40 footer.

Don '02 Intrigue #11427
'02 Intrigue #11427

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 91544
we have the powered Girard awning and IMO, it's one of the best awnings out there.

Larry, 03 Allure 30856

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 91545
Don

You may not want one after you get the full price tag. The non-powered awnings have a number of advantages over powered to include simplicity and fewer expensive parts to break. The non powered awning in my experience has considerably more adjustment when you want to block the sun or if you want to leave it out when it is wet and windy. Our powered awning comes in every time there is a gust and you cannot lower it enough to block the late afternoon sun. I believe the Girards do have more adjustment than some of the others but I almost had a stoke when I got the price to change my out.

Dan 2006 Allure 31348 C-9

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 91547
I was talking to ZipDee about some replacement parts for our manual awning. I asked about upgrading to a powered awning. The tech said "If you think its expensive to fix the manual awning wait till the powered one breaks! " Thats all I needed to know.

Mike Hergenrather
97 Intrigue 10313

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 91548
True, adding power does add cost.

Having push button operation of the patio awning..... Priceless!

How do you put a price on a good time?

Jim Lewis

Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:56 AM To:Country-Coach-Owners@yahoogroups.com Subject: [Country-Coach-Owners] Re: Replacement of Main / Patio Awning with powered awning

I was talking to ZipDee about some replacement parts for our manual awning. I asked about upgrading to a powered awning. The tech said "If you think its expensive to fix the manual awning wait till the powered one breaks! " Thats all I needed to know.

Mike Hergenrather
97 Intrigue 10313

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 91550
Dan, I agree with you on auto vs manual awnings. We love the Allure but I miss the new manual awning I installed on my previous coach a couple of years ago. I could stay dry and out of the sun under it and tie it down at the ends in all but the most windy conditions.

Gary

'07 Allure 470 #31578

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 91552
Our powered awning doesn't block the sun and I can't put it out in inclement weather so I don't hardly ever use it. The power button doesn't provide me with much pleasure I would rather use the money for some good wine.

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 91554
I see lot of dometic awnings installed on the newer coaches, l would think long and hard before installing another carefree. marvin,07 allure, 31459

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 91568
Being "in"? the industry - dometic awnings are less expensive then carefree on the OEM level, typically even less on the dealer level as well.
So yes, we are seeing a lot of dometic's these days, whatever to cut prices and still have a finished product.
Personally, when I painted my coach a couple years ago I really wanted a power awning. I bought both brands of power arms and returned both and re-installed the manual. If I couldn't have a lateral arm powered awning (which she said I couldn't because of the cost) then I wasn't going to deal with these cheap fragile, best available powered arms.
Now today, I'm ready because I really want a button to operate my awning - and the price for the lateral arm awnings are still out of my reach, I'll be putting one of these powered arms on the coach. Probably Carefree, but I will be getting dometic's here when it's time just to make sure I get the better of the two, whichever one that is?

Jim

From:marvin.thigpen@... Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2013 4:30 AM To:Country-Coach-Owners@yahoogroups.com Subject: [Country-Coach-Owners] RE: Replacement of Main / Patio Awning with powered awning

I see lot of dometic awnings installed on the newer coaches, l would think long and hard before installing another carefree. marvin,07 allure, 31459

---In country-coach-owners@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

Our powered awning doesn't block the sun and I can't put it out in inclement weather so I don't hardly ever use it. The power button doesn't provide me with much pleasure I would rather use the money for some good wine.

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 91579
I've the Girard products on our To Do punch list. As I type, I have a puddle of water over our main slide awning. It was too windy last night to pull the window portion of the awning down, and with it up, the slide topper is just not tight enough to keep water from accumulating. If I recall the model number correctly, Girard has a 5000 series that mounts to the side of the coach and with the top rollout you end up with enough angle to allow rain to run off.
For the main awning, Girard has a Nova and I think the Elite series, that has a two step angle to it. One is designed to extend out over a slide (Not a factor for us on that side of the coach.), but then angle down for about what looks to be a 1/3 of the shade. 20% extra dip on that section, from memory. Not as adjustable as a manual unit, but electric awnings are nice for quick set up and tear down. That extra dip down, will help quite a bit when the sun angle is low. Sorry can't recall which unit is the right one without a slide.
I agree with other comments about the existing electric main shades that came on our coach. The lack of angle adjustment makes the shades next to useless in early/late sun angle situations. Not being able to leave it out on a windy day is not a factor. As even when we are at the RV, if we have any inclination of wind - we get it in. Never leave it out when we are not at the RV. Did this with our previous Bounder's manual awning too. Have just seen too many times where a well secured (corkscrew stakes in the ground, tied to bricks, etc.) awnings were 'damaged'. I also saw one gent in Borrego, get first banged on the head pretty bad, and then when he went to try and contain the awning, it broke his arm. (We had a storm coming in, and he had it our over his fire pit, and angled with one end secured to a picnic table. He had done this the day before too, as he enjoyed sitting out with a bit of rain and having a fire.)
I know several people that have been RV'ing for years, that say they never had a problem - but it only takes one time!!!
I have not made a decision on for sure Girard, but it is sure in the running. Will also look over the Zip Dee products, as they too had a good reputation, just not sure if they have a motorized product that will cover our needs.

Best to all, be safe, have fun,
Smitty

04 Allure 31017
04 Allure Sold to a nice new owner! Now enjoying a 07 Magna Rembrandt 45' ISX600 #6775
"We're ONDROAD for THEJRNY!" (Toad and Coach license plates, say Hi if you see us!)