Skip to main content
Topic: Dinghy Tow, Toyota Tundra (Read 5345 times) previous topic - next topic

Dinghy Tow, Toyota Tundra

Yahoo Message Number: 35313
Does anyone tow (or know someone who does) one of the newer Toyota Tundra 4x4 trucks behind a coach? We are looking at a new one and realize that they are not towable 4 down without a driveline disconnect kit (from Remco?) I have Googled everything I can think of and cannot get much info?
Gracias.

Dick B

04 Intrigue #11830

Re: Dinghy Tow, Toyota Tundra

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 35314
Does the Tundra have high and low range 4X4 and a mechanical selector if so? I am towing a Lexus LX470 which for practical purposes is the same as a Toyota Land Cruiser. The factory and dealer both say it isn't towable. I don't know if their position results from liability concerns, disinterest or lack of knowledge.
It does have a mechanical selector arm to choose between four wheel drive high or low ranges. I had the pawl removed from the steering column to be extra safe that the steering wheel lock would not become engaged. When towing I just make certain the high/low selector is in the neutral position, this allows free wheeling with nothing being turned in the transmission by the drive wheels. I have either placed the automatic transmission in park or in neutral, really makes no difference if the tranny input shaft isn't being turned by the wheels.
Works great. I also have a Ford Super Duty 4X4 that I had hoped to tow but can't as it has an electric shifter for the 4X4. I haven't studied it yet to see if there is a work around or way of placing the transfer case in neutral mechanically.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 35315
I have a 2006 F250 Ford Super Duty Diesel 4x4 truck that I will be taking to the shop in Eugene shortly for the tow conversion. They, as well as another hitch welding shop both say that it can be towed. They replace the drive line with a spline drive, attach the hitch, and install air brakes that run from the coach to the controller which is mounted on the back side of the firewall to the brake peddle. Wiring to the truck lights, and away we go. I will post the complete installation when it is done along with photo's if anyone wants to see it.

Jim Hill

2008 Tribute 260

81138 (still being built)

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 35320
Don't know about the Tundra, but my new 2 wheel drive 2008 Tacoma with automatic trans is not towable unless I disconnect the drive shaft. I will eventually get the Remco decoupler, but in the interim, I will mechanically disconnect the four bolts on the driveshaft at the differential. Just installed the Blue Ox baseplate and have the SMI Air Force One supplemental brake system on order.

Larry, 03 Allure 30856

Quote from: countrycoachbrad
>

Does anyone tow (or know someone who does) one of the newer Toyota > Tundra 4x4 trucks behind a coach? We are looking at a new one and > realize that they are not towable 4 down without a driveline > disconnect kit (from Remco?) I have Googled everything I can think

of

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 35322
None of the Toyota or Nissan trucks are towable 4 down. They do not have a neutral in the transfer case. Anyone with a late model Tundra with a Remco disconnect would be very helpful here. Thanks Dick 04 Intrigue #11830

Quote from: Larry Feather

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 35326
I'm talking to a guy now who has a Remco installed on his 2007 Tacoma 2 wheel drive and he states that it works great. Not sure about the 4 wheel drive though. Sounds like FWD could cause an issue that a Remco wouldn't solve.

Larry 03 Allure 30856

Quote from: countrycoachbrad
> > None of the Toyota or Nissan trucks are towable 4 down. They do not > have a neutral in the transfer case. Anyone with a late model Tundra > with a Remco disconnect would be very helpful here. Thanks > Dick 04 Intrigue #11830

[quote author=Larry Feather"

>

> Don't know about the Tundra, but my new 2 wheel drive 2008 Tacoma > > with automatic trans is not towable unless I disconnect the drive > > shaft. I will eventually get the Remco decoupler, but in the > > interim, I will mechanically disconnect the four bolts on the > > driveshaft at the differential. Just installed the Blue Ox > > baseplate and have the SMI Air Force One supplemental brake

system

on order.
>

> Larry, 03 Allure 30856
>
>
>

[quote author=countrycoachbrad"
>]
> >

> > Does anyone tow (or know someone who does) one of the newer

Toyota

> Tundra 4x4 trucks behind a coach? We are looking at a new one

and

> realize that they are not towable 4 down without a driveline > > > disconnect kit (from Remco?) I have Googled everything I can

think

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 35328
If there is no neutral position in the transfer case then it would seem a de-coupling device on the rear drive shaft would only decouple the rear axle from turning the transfer case and then the transmission.
Having a shaft de-coupler on the rear wheels would seem to allow the front wheels, when being towed, to cause the transfer case to continue to turn and therefore the transmission as well?
If so then lock hubs or yet another de-coupler on the front drive system would seem essential.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 35329
I am eager to hear and see details of your F-250 conversion. My F-250 is a 6.0 diesel with an electric switch for the transfer between 2, 4X4 and 4X4 Low range. Is yours an electric or manual selector for the high and low ranges? Gerry

2007 Allure 31447

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 35331
I went thru this with my 2002 4x4 Tacoma w/auro xmsn. On the 2002 w/manual transfer case you would put the transfer case in neutral and pull the front wheel drive fuse keeping the front hubs from engaging.
With the electric transfer case you need the Remco rear drive shaft disconnect and tow with the transfer case in 2H which leaves the front hubs disengaged.

Lewis Hatton

04 Inspire 51057

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 35337
Gerry, my 2006 F250 4x4 Super Duty 6.0l Diesel is an electric shift between the 2wd High, 4wd High and 4wd Low. I have locking hubs on the front. I will provide more information and pictures when the conversion is complete.

Jim Hill

2008 Tribute 260

81138 (couple of weeks to go)

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 35348
We used to tow our 2002 Tundra all the time. Had to disconnect the driveshaft and bungee to the frame. Fairly quick to do as the Tundra has a four bolt flange and comes apart easily. I now rarely tow the Tundra now as I switched to a Jeep Wrangler which is a dream to tow. Got caught in a rain storm at Lazy Days in Tampa during one of their Florida monsoons. Got soaked and the wife said it would be easier if you had a Jeep. Stored that peace of info and bought a Jeep two weeks later. Still have the Jeep and have the Tundra too! Great having a wife who offers good suggestions....

Pete & Robin Sarno - Stuart, Florida - '02 Magna #6110

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 35353
George,

My toad is a 2005 Ford Excursion 6.0 4X4. Same as an F-250. Remco driveshaft. They sell it by the whole driveshaft with the disconnect. About $1200. Works fine. I use Blue Ox Adventa II towbar and .B.O. baseplate. B.O baseplate is really unobtrusive. It replaces the tow loops on your Ford. Just these two little tabs that stick out a few inches. No other parts but tow bar.

Rich

2002 Magna 6148

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 35356
I was looking at the front of my F-250 (King Ranch, Diesel) after the conversations here. Good info is always appreciated. Two points:
1. The front tow hook points looked like the natural and least obtrusive tow bar attach point. With the Blue Ox, did they have to remove the entire front bumper assembly to install?
2. I still hope to find a method of neutralizing the drive system as I would prefer not to have the Remco driveline decoupler if possible. Just don't like the cost and modification if it can be avoided. I have a good friend who is a Ford dealer but haven't been able to have him check yet regarding transfer case neutralization. If a switch position can be effected that leaves the transfer case in neutral and I can release the front wheel lock hubs, then all would be good for a tow it seems.

Gerry Brown

2007 Allure 31447

Lexus LX 470 (claimed to be non-towable but works great) F-250 4X4 (appears probable, just working out the cheap kinks)

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 35357
Yes, the Tacoma has a four bolt flange too. Thanks for your post because you eased my wife's stress level a bit on disconnecting the drive shaft. I'll do this until I get the Remco

Larry 03 Allure 30856

Quote from: Pete & Robin\[br\
[Clenaghan] Sarno"] >

We used to tow our 2002 Tundra all the time. Had to disconnect the > driveshaft and bungee to the frame. Fairly quick to do as the

Tundra

has a four bolt flange and comes apart easily. I now rarely tow the > Tundra now as I switched to a Jeep Wrangler which is a dream to

tow. Got

caught in a rain storm at Lazy Days in Tampa during one of their

Florida

monsoons. Got soaked and the wife said it would be easier if you

had a

Jeep. Stored that peace of info and bought a Jeep two weeks later.

Still

have the Jeep and have the Tundra too! Great having a wife who

offers

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 35358
I started this thread last week looking for information, since we really want to purchase an 08 Tundra for towing behind our coach. I have learned a great deal from this and other forums regarding the Remco disconnect and flat towing. Some have said that the Remco would void the warranty. According to Remco, that is not true.
The best source of info to date, was a lenghthy call to SW Enterprises in Yuma. They have done towing/drive shaft work for many years including Blue Ox tow plates, bars, hitches and numerous Remco installs. They say that many of the Remco kits (with drive shafts) come in out of balance. They manufacture their own drive shafts and attach the Remco kit. They have seen 07 Tundras come in 3 different drive line systems depending on which plant the vehicle was manufactured. All 3 drive line systems are very different (some even have aluminum drive shafts) and all can be successfully modified except the one that comes with only a single CV boot. This one cannot be successfully modified. They have had great success with the Remco kits but more so with the ones that they fabricate the drive shaft and the appropriate fittings. I think we will buy the Tundra. Nothing else in its class has the ride, ergos, handling, quality, and towing capacity.

Dick B

04 Intrigue #11830

Quote from: Larry Feather

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 35361
I have the Remco unit installed in my 2001 Toyota Sequoia 4 wheel automatic transmission and it works great. I can lock it or out in just seconds and away I go.

Tom Flack Allure 470 06

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 35411
I've read lots of comments on towing the Tundra. We have a 2007 4Runner Limited and my wife deserately wants to tow it. I'm a little hesitant since Toyota has never OK'd the idea of towing any of their vehicles. Does anyone have experience with the 4Runner? Also, I was quoted about $3200 for the Remco package by Camping World in Junction City. Have not had a chance to compair. Does this seem about right?

Thanks,
Bruce

36 ft 3 slide 2002 Intrigue #11317 (for sale or trade towards 40 fter)

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 35412
I plan on ordering a Remco for my 2 wheel drive Tacoma which, according to Remco, will cost $6-$800, and I will install it myself. Assuming your driveshaft would cost about the same, it sounds like they want $24-$2600 for labor. If that's true it seems awful high.

Larry 2003 Allure 30856

Quote from: Bruce Borneman\[br\
] >

I've read lots of comments on towing the Tundra. We have a 2007
4Runner Limited and my wife deserately wants to tow it. I'm a little hesitant since Toyota has never OK'd the idea of towing any of their vehicles. Does anyone have experience with the 4Runner? Also, I was quoted about $3200 for the Remco package by Camping World in Junction City. Have not had a chance to compair. Does this seem about right?

Thanks,
 Bruce

36 ft 3 slide 2002 Intrigue #11317 (for sale or trade towards

40 fter)

>

countrycoachbrad wrote:

I started this thread last week looking for information,

since we

really want to purchase an 08 Tundra for towing behind our coach. I > have learned a great deal from this and other forums regarding the > Remco disconnect and flat towing. Some have said that the Remco

would

void the warranty. According to Remco, that is not true.

The best source of info to date, was a lenghthy call to SW

Enterprises

in Yuma. They have done towing/drive shaft work for many years > including Blue Ox tow plates, bars, hitches and numerous Remco > installs. They say that many of the Remco kits (with drive shafts) > come in out of balance. They manufacture their own drive shafts and > attach the Remco kit. They have seen 07 Tundras come in 3 different > drive line systems depending on which plant the vehicle was > manufactured. All 3 drive line systems are very different (some

even

have aluminum drive shafts) and all can be successfully modified > except the one that comes with only a single CV boot. This one

cannot

be successfully modified. They have had great success with the

Remco

kits but more so with the ones that they fabricate the drive shaft

and

the appropriate fittings. I think we will buy the Tundra. Nothing

else

in its class has the ride, ergos, handling, quality, and towing

capacity.

Dick B

04 Intrigue #11830

[quote author=Larry Feather"

>

> Yes, the Tacoma has a four bolt flange too. Thanks for your post > > because you eased my wife's stress level a bit on disconnecting

the

drive shaft. I'll do this until I get the Remco > >

> Larry 03 Allure 30856
>
>

[quote author=Pete & Robin

> [Clenaghan] Sarno"]
> >
> >
> >

> > We used to tow our 2002 Tundra all the time. Had to disconnect

the

> driveshaft and bungee to the frame. Fairly quick to do as the > > Tundra

> > has a four bolt flange and comes apart easily. I now rarely

tow the

> Tundra now as I switched to a Jeep Wrangler which is a dream

to

tow. Got

> > caught in a rain storm at Lazy Days in Tampa during one of

their

Florida

> > monsoons. Got soaked and the wife said it would be easier if

you

had a

> > Jeep. Stored that peace of info and bought a Jeep two weeks

later.

Toyota Tundra

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 35332
Based on the problems that Toyota has been having with the four wheel Tundra, I would not attempt to tow one unless you have deep pockets to cover potential repairs. Consumer Reports just delisted the Tundra due to the number of problems people have been reporting with the 4 wheel models.

Gene

Intrigue 10920