Skip to main content
Topic: Help Patio Awning won't retract (Read 9105 times) previous topic - next topic

Help Patio Awning won't retract

Yahoo Message Number: 51789
As we were preparing to leave today our Carefree Eclipse patio awning won't retract. Push the button, nothing happens. I tried the emergency procedure and still it won't move. None of the local mobile repair places answer the phone. Any ideas on how to manually retract the awning? Carefree manual doesn't have a way to do that and, of course, they don't answer either.

Bob

'05 Intrigue 11872

Re: Help Patio Awning won't retract

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 51790
First idea is to be sure you are still plugged in or run the power plant as that is a AC motor.
Second go on top of the RV by the entry door. Take off top cap by motor and there is a hole you can use a hex head allen type key (1/4 " ?). You may have to cut allen key so it's straight, put it on drill motor then crank it in.
If you are in the Lodi, Stockton area we have a mobile RV that will come out. Let us know.

Gary Bender

04 Intrigue #11701

g55521@...

Re: Help Patio Awning won't retract - Problem Solved - sort of

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 51797
We have the awning retracted. Had to take the motor off, wind up the awning by hand, and tie wrap it so it doesn't unfurl. The motor runs when it is directly connected to 12v but not when attached to the awning. The local mobile RV guy came by while I was cursing the awning and helped out. I also talked to Chris Synder who also said the only alternative was to removce the motor and wind the awning by hand. I'm probably going to order a new motor and a new controller.
Gary, the awning was the big one, not the one over the door. Owner's manual specifically says "Do not use 120v AC to energize motor".

Bob

'05 Intrigue 11872

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 51801
> As we were preparing to leave today our Carefree Eclipse patio awning won't retract. Push the button, nothing happens. I tried the emergency procedure and still it won't move. None of the local mobile repair places answer the phone. Any ideas on how to manually retract the awning? Carefree manual doesn't have a way to do that and, of course, they don't answer either.
>
> Bob

> '05 Intrigue 11872
Bob, glad to hear you are back in operation. Our Eclipse did the exact same thing 2 days ago. We were unable to get any help and the wife and I could not do it manually. After a few phone calls to Carefree (and some bad language) I was able to get the end cap off and was able to stick 2 pieces of a paper clip in the small opening. That was just enough to get it to catch the motor and roll back in. Carefree is sending a new motor to our next stop for repair under warranty.

Ken (SOB) 2007 Beaver Contessa

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 51802

Gary,

I see where you have it rolled up now, but for others and future reference, I have the Eclipse awning and there are a couple of terminals on the motor that you can attach aligator clips and use external 12v, I also have the jumper wire that came with the coach..
Marvin 07 Allure 31459

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 51808
Marv, what do you mean use "external" power?

R. D. Vanderslice
06 Allure 470 31294

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 51810

R.D.,

As long as it is 12v it does not matter, you can jump from the Toad battery... I have never used it, I was reading it in the manual or some other place, I am pretty sure that it will over ride the switches. It would let you know for sure if the motor is not working.
Marvin 07 Allure 31459

From: R. D. Vanderslice To: Country-Coach-Owners@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, September 13, 2009 12:35:10 PM Subject: Re: [Country-Coach-Owners] Re: Help Patio Awning won't retract - Problem Solved - sort of

Marv, what do you mean use "external" power? R. D. Vanderslice
06 Allure 470 31294

[/font][/size]
[/font][/size]
[/font][/size]

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 51812
Has anyone checked to see if a fuse is blown?
Escapees RV Park, Chimacum, Wa Chuck & Mary BShelby Dog, Miss Kitty, Mr Lucky CatSOB --- On Sun, 9/13/09, Marvin Thigpen wrote: From: Marvin Thigpen Subject: Re: [Country-Coach-Owners] Re: Help Patio Awning won't retract - Problem Solved - sort ofTo: Country-Coach-Owners@yahoogroups.comDate: Sunday, September 13, 2009, 10:27 AM
R.D., As long as it is 12v it does not matter, you can jump from the Toad battery... I have never used it, I was reading it in the manual or some other place, I am pretty sure that it will over ride the switches. It would let you know for sure if the motor is not working. Marvin 07 Allure 31459 From: R. D. Vanderslice To: Country-Coach- Owners@yahoogrou ps.comSent: Sunday, September 13, 2009 12:35:10 PMSubject: Re: [Country-Coach- Owners] Re: Help Patio Awning won't retract - Problem Solved - sort of Marv, what do you mean use "external" power? R. D. Vanderslice

06 Allure 470 31294 --- On Sun, 9/13/09, Marvin Thigpen wrote: From: Marvin Thigpen Subject: Re: [Country-Coach- Owners] Re: Help Patio Awning won't retract - Problem Solved - sort ofTo: Country-Coach- Owners@yahoogrou ps.comDate: Sunday, September 13, 2009, 7:14 AM
Gary, I see where you have it rolled up now, but for others and future reference,I have the Eclipse awning and there are a couple of terminals on the motor that you can attach aligator clips and use external 12v, I also have the jumper wire that came with the coach..Marvin 07 Allure 31459 From: bobstep To: Country-Coach- Owners@yahoogrou ps.comSent: Saturday, September 12, 2009 7:52:11 PMSubject: [Country-Coach- Owners] Re: Help Patio Awning won't retract - Problem Solved - sort of We have the awning retracted. Had to take the motor off, wind up the awning by hand, and tie wrap it so it doesn't unfurl. The motor runs when it is directly connected to 12v but not when attached to the awning. The local mobile RV guy came by while I was cursing the awning and helped out. I also talked to Chris Synder who also said the only alternative was to removce the motor and wind the awning by hand. I'm probably going to order a new motor and a new controller. Gary, the awning was the big one, not the one over the door. Owner's manual specifically says "Do not use 120v AC to energize motor".Bob'05 Intrigue 11872--- In Country-Coach- Owners@yahoogrou ps.com, "bobstep" wrote:>> As we were preparing to leave today our Carefree Eclipse patio awning won't retract.
Push the button, nothing happens. I tried the emergency procedure and still it won't move. None of the local mobile repair places answer the phone. Any ideas on how to manually retract the awning? Carefree manual doesn't have a way to do that and, of course, they don't answer either. > > Bob> '05 Intrigue 11872>

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 51813
Thanks Marvin,

I haven't had that problem, yet, but with my luck, it is bound to be on the horizon. After having a Country Coach, we may be qualified to fix anything on the space shuttle. R. D. Vanderslice 06 Allure 470 31294

--- On Sun, 9/13/09, Marvin Thigpen wrote: From: Marvin Thigpen Subject: Re: [Country-Coach-Owners] Re: Help Patio Awning won't retract - Problem Solved - sort ofTo: Country-Coach-Owners@yahoogroups.comDate: Sunday, September 13, 2009, 12:27 PM
R.D., As long as it is 12v it does not matter, you can jump from the Toad battery... I have never used it, I was reading it in the manual or some other place, I am pretty sure that it will over ride the switches. It would let you know for sure if the motor is not working. Marvin 07 Allure 31459 From: R. D. Vanderslice To: Country-Coach- Owners@yahoogrou ps.comSent: Sunday, September 13, 2009 12:35:10 PMSubject: Re: [Country-Coach- Owners] Re: Help Patio Awning won't retract - Problem Solved - sort of Marv, what do you mean use "external" power?

R. D. Vanderslice

06 Allure 470 31294 --- On Sun, 9/13/09, Marvin Thigpen wrote: From: Marvin Thigpen Subject: Re: [Country-Coach- Owners] Re: Help Patio Awning won't retract - Problem Solved - sort ofTo: Country-Coach- Owners@yahoogrou ps.comDate: Sunday, September 13, 2009, 7:14 AM
Gary, I see where you have it rolled up now, but for others and future reference,I have the Eclipse awning and there are a couple of terminals on the motor that you can attach aligator clips and use external 12v, I also have the jumper wire that came with the coach..Marvin 07 Allure 31459 From: bobstep To: Country-Coach- Owners@yahoogrou ps.comSent: Saturday, September 12, 2009 7:52:11 PMSubject: [Country-Coach- Owners] Re: Help Patio Awning won't retract - Problem Solved - sort of We have the awning retracted. Had to take the motor off, wind up the awning by hand, and tie wrap it so it doesn't unfurl. The motor runs when it is directly connected to 12v but not when attached to the awning. The local mobile RV guy came by while I was cursing the awning and helped out. I also talked to Chris Synder who also said the only alternative was to removce the motor and wind the awning by hand. I'm probably going to order a new motor and a new controller. Gary, the awning was the big one, not the one over the door. Owner's manual specifically says "Do not use 120v AC to energize motor".Bob'05 Intrigue 11872--- In Country-Coach- Owners@yahoogrou ps.com, "bobstep" wrote:>> As we were preparing to leave today our Carefree Eclipse patio awning won't retract.
Push the button, nothing happens. I tried the emergency procedure and still it won't move. None of the local mobile repair places answer the phone. Any ideas on how to manually retract the awning? Carefree manual doesn't have a way to do that and, of course, they don't answer either. > > Bob> '05 Intrigue 11872>

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 51844
We have the terminals on our awning. They bypass all the controllers and fuses. We applied 12v and the motor hummed but did not move. Our motor only seems to work with no load.

Bob

'05 Intrigue 11872

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 51856
Hi Don,

On our Eclispe awning, there is no fully open stop position on the motor. Once fully extended, if the switch is still being pushed, the awning fabric will start rolling up on the awning tube in the opposite direction. Instead of the fabric going over the top of the tube, it rolls on the bottom side of the tube.

Chuck & Mary B

Shelby Dog, Miss Kitty, Mr Lucky Cat

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 51865
Yea, Don, I reversed the polarity a couple of times. The awning moved out about 3 inches on one of the attempts but would never move in the retract position. Ordered a new motor assembly today.

Bob

'05 Intrigue 11872

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 51866
Bob,

Can you get the motor out of the awning. I have a Dometic door awning that will stick after a few weeks of being out. I removed the motor and found that moisture had collected in the bottom of the housing lousing up the bearing if that is what they call it. Just a hole in the white metal casting. The motor would run once I detach it from the awning but the added resistance of the rust etc. on the bottom stopped it from moving the awning.
I took it apart, cleaned and oiled it and it worked just fine. However the down side is that it keeps doing it if I don't move the door awning every so often. I have pulled the motor 3 times. I think about a new one but don't see how it will not just do the same thing.

May not apply to your situation but worth mentioning.

Don Seager

2004 Allure 31046

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 51873
Don I had the same problem. The Carefree rep, at the 2007 Home Coming Rally, drilled two holes in the bottom of the awning case so water would not collect and freeze up the motor.
Larry & Judy
04 Allure 31097

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 51878
Does anyone know where to purchase the wind control used on the COLORADO ECLIPSE awning? Carefree no longer sells the part. mine needs to be replaced. It lost a fight with a tree limb.

Thanks in advance
jw

06 inspire 51544

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 51879
I am sure I have seen them at CW.

Sincerely,

Jim Spivey

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 51885
jw here is a message and a contact from Carefree I just got from them a couple of weeks ago.

hi, Carefree is not set up to sell retail direct, here is a dealer in Denver, that can get these for you RV's R US 303-232-2717
you can ask to speak with Marge or Jerry
Darold

06' Ispire 51682

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 51887
thank you

i will call tomorrow
jw

06 inspire 51544

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 51891
Darold,

I tried the number today and it has been disconnected.

jw

06 inspire 51544

Switch for Step Cover Needed

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 51893
Our 97' Magna 5418, has only the drivers switch for control of the step cover. Would like to add a second for passenger control as well. Finding a switch is going to be fun. It is a Carling brand switch with 8 terminals. Three top and three bottom with two on the side in the middle. Seems with another identical switch, all is needed would be to run a set of wires to the second switch to the same terminals on both and it should work. Any one with information to pin down the switch part number? Have checked two different CC manuals and there is no information on the step cover wiring.

Thanks
Leonard