Skip to main content
Topic: Storing 2007 Magna in cold weather ... (Read 1431 times) previous topic - next topic

Storing 2007 Magna in cold weather ...

Yahoo Message Number: 52642
Since we sold our house in FL, we have decided to keep the Magna in IL for the winter. It will be sitting in a sealed up barn, but still wondering about winterizing.
In the past, we have sucked up stuff into the plumbing system and things worked out ok. We have not stored a CC yet, so just wondering.
I and thinking drain what we can, and put small heaters in the bays. I will get out the book and see what it says.
It will be plugged in to a 30 amp service in the barn, so the batteries will be charged.

Thanks for any info ...
John

2007 Magna 6760

Re: Storing 2007 Magna in cold weather ...

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 52648
If it were my 2007 Magna, pleasant thought, I would completely winterize the coach as you have others in the past. That is to pump the system full of potable antifreeze (commonly called pink stuff) It is the safest way to do it. The biggest monetary risk is likely freezing the hot water exchanger coil in the AquaHot. That can only be repaired by rebuilding it at the factory or simply replacing it. Either way it is big bucks.
Don't forget to take care of the ice maker if you have one. It is not in a bay and very exposed. The trap in the washer/dryer is also a problem. There have been several posts here on how to get pink stuff into it's trap.
IL can get some seriously cold weather for extended periods of time. You might be alright but for the small cost of the pink stuff and possibly a spare water pump...... Some water pumps are so close to the fresh water tank that you can't get at the input side. My biggest problem with heaters etc. in that part of the country is they can fail or the power can go out. Well protected with pink stuff there should be no worries. BTW pink stuff does turn to something like a slush cone when the temps get low enough. It will not break pipes but if you wanted to use the motor home for any reason plan on heating it up so you can get the pink stuff out.
If you go to the AquaHot web site or the Hydronic Heat Group you will find that flushing out the water with pink stuff is the only method recommended by Aquahot. Draining and blowing air in the system will not necessarily get the water out of the AquaHot hot water coil.
I am normally pretty liberal about these things but in this case I would go on the conservative side. If you want me to keep your Magna nice and toasty in AL this winter I'd be happy to accommodate .
I spent most of my life in New England and one morning I got up to 38 degrees below zero. Thing go down hill real fast at those kind of temps.

Don Seager

2004 Allure 31046

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 52652
Thanks for the info ...

Our Dutch Star had a a little hose you stuck in a bottle of antifreeze and pumped it it. No such device here ...
I am thinking of just pouring plenty of pink stuff in the fresh water tank and running the pump to make sure all the lines are filled.

The Aqua Hot is another issue, I will check their web site.
Not taking this to FL is a new wrinkle, first time thing. Thanks for the info ...

John

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 52653
I completely winterize my rig every year - never know when the power could go out, or an extended cold front might come through. You might drop dead from a heart attack - if something does happen - you're covered!

Mark P

03 Allure #30916

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 52656
You are correct ... if I drop dead, I am covered ... yuck, yuck ...
Seriously ... do I just put a bunch of antifreeze in the fresh water tank and run the pump. Seems like this would work.

Take the filter out maybe in the incoming fresh water line.

I know, have to dig out the book, and plan on that ...

Thanks ...
John

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 52657
Everyone's advice is good! But you didn't say where in Illinois you will store the rig.

If northern IL by all means go the 'pink stuff' route.
If southern IL you might be OK with just turning on the AquaHot electric heater and setting the gas thermostats to 55. Works for me in Branson, MO in a barn where the weather is comparable to So. Illinois. The building interior does get down to 32 but the coach does fine.

--

Lee Zaborowski
07 Intrigue 12153

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 52664
John,

It is not practical to put pink stiff in your holding tank. First off the holding tank can hold as much as 100 gallons and draining it does not drain all of it out. There is some residual left in the bottom of the tank, You do not have much control over the freeze point of the mixture when you do that.
If you are going to winterize the coach with pink stuff (preferable method) then you need to find a way to pump it in directly.

Don Seager

2004 Allure 31046

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 52665
John,

I wouldn't take a chance by not winterizing.
I use a small sump pump (with a garden hose fitting) in a 5 gal. bucket. Using a 3' piece of garden hose, hook it to you water inlet like you would when you hook up to an external water source. Set the valve so it won't fill up the fresh water tank, and pour 3-4 gallons of the pink stuff into the 5 gal. bucket. By-pass and drain your your water heater, remove the main water filter cartridge and then plug in the sump pump and run each faucet till enough pink stuff flows to fill the traps. When you're done, all the pipes, traps and the water pump will be full of pink stuff. You can even run the washer on rinse enough so its' plumbing and trap will be full. Make sure your getting pink into the ice cube maker, too. You'll probably have to add more pink to the bucket, depending on how much anti-freeze you run down the drain.

Hope this helps.

Dave Trotter

01 Intrigue 11215

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 52675
Thanks for all the advice. The barn is sealed up pretty good, but I will definitely do the bucket/sump pump thing .. good idea.
We are putting a space heater in the house near the frig too, just as an added precaution.
Will most likely put some pink stuff in the fresh tank and open the drain to let some out to make sure that valve is flushed.

Maybe we will have mild winter here in N IL ... doubt it though.

John

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 52678
John,

I never introduce any anti-freeze into the fresh water tank. Just leave the tank drain valve open all winter. What little bit of residual water that is left in the tank should not be a problem. I live in Central Mich. and have never had an issue with broken plumbing due to freezing.

Dave Trotter

01 Intrigue 11215

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 52679
John:

Had a friend who used Vodka instead of the pink anti-freeze. The Vodka didn't freeze, protected the system and had the added benefit of a great party come spring time.

J Bwach

06 Allure 31309

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 52680
It is an electric solenoid .. .would way rather just have a manual valve. Can't really leave it open, but maybe if I let it sit "on" for awhile, it will drain sufficiently.
Funny, our 2000 Journey had a waste gate valve for dumping the fresh water tank. All the water came out in about 10 seconds. Lots of things I miss about our old coaches.

Thanks ...
John

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 52684
Wow ... the great ideas just keep coming. I can see myself trying to stick my fat head in the sink under the faucet come spring. Glasses ... we don't need no stinkin' glasses ...

John

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 52739
on mt '02 Magna I've opened the door (4 screws) to the pump & disconnected the in put hose from the pump - put a long (2ft, ) hose & suck out of the pink jug. open all faucets one at a time. but first drain water heater. then after you have pink at all faucets & ice maker you can drain & catch pink from the water heater. reconnect the input hose to the pump. my way bob '02 Magna 6028

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 52740
sorry I forgot to say you want to pull the filter element out before you start. just reinstall before you start off in the spring.bob --- On Sat, 10/17/09, robert harbrecht wrote:From: robert harbrecht Subject: Re: [Country-Coach-Owners] Re: Storing 2007 Magna in cold weather ...To: Country-Coach-Owners@yahoogroups.comDate: Saturday, October 17, 2009, 8:55 AM
on mt '02 Magna I've opened the door (4 screws) to the pump & disconnected the in put hose from the pump - put a long (2ft, ) hose & suck out of the pink jug. open all faucets one at a time. but first drain water heater. then after you have pink at all faucets & ice maker you can drain & catch pink from the water heater. reconnect the input hose to the pump. my way bob '02 Magna 6028--- On Wed, 10/14/09, aasonm wrote:From: aasonm Subject: [Country-Coach- Owners] Re: Storing 2007 Magna in cold weather ...To: Country-Coach- Owners@yahoogrou ps.comDate: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 7:17 PM

Thanks for the info ...

Our Dutch Star had a a little hose you stuck in a bottle of antifreeze and pumped it it. No such device here ...
I am thinking of just pouring plenty of pink stuff in the fresh water tank and running the pump to make sure all the lines are filled.
The Aqua Hot is another issue, I will check their web site.
Not taking this to FL is a new wrinkle, first time thing. Thanks for the info ...
John

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 52742
You can go Robert H's technique one better and install a 'Y' permanently at the disconnect he mentions. Been there, done that on our former SOB. Makes the annual uptake of antifreeze a snap.

--

Lee Zaborowski
07 Intrigue 12153

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 52754
Hi Bob H,

How did you cover the plumbing from the fresh water tank to the input of the water pump.

Chuck & Mary B, SOB

Shelby Dog, Miss Kitty, Mr Lucky Cat

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 52809
div>

on a CC we have a fresh water low point drain switch, i drained all the water that would come out. after removing the filter element i removed the input line to the pump & install new longer line to suck the pink stuff into the pump. i have thought about a Y with valves so I can leave the new longer line in the pump hole behind the door . that way all i have to do is remove the 4 screws & pull out the line switch the valves & pump. the low point drains are right next to the pump on the inlet side. i always drain the water heater before i start & again after, you can catch the the pink & re use it next winter. bob '02 magna

cc

Cummins ISL 400 Oil leak and Oil Pressure question

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 52878
Cummins ISL 400 Oil leak and Oil Pressure question
  • I have a 2005 Intrigue with a Cummins ISL 400. Just recently I have noticed a small amount of oil dripping from the bottom of the engine. Upon closer inspection, It appears it is coming from the breather tube. It has never leaked a drop until now. What could be causing this?

2. After I discovered the leak, I started looking for reasons. I checked the oil pressure this morning on the Silverleaf right after I started it up and it indicated 79psi at idle on the digital gage. The outside temp was 45 degrees F. I called Cummins and the guy I spoke with on the phone said he thought the pressure was too high and suggested I remove and clean the oil pressure regulator in the oil cooler which I did with no effect. I took the coach out for a spin this afternoon and the oil pressure decreased to 26psi at idle when the engine got up to operating temperature. I have never paid attention to the startup oil pressure on the silverleaf before. My question to you ISL owners; do these numbers jive with the numbers you are seeing?

Any help you guys can provide with oil leak or the oil pressures would surely be appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin

05 Intrigue

Re: Cummins ISL 400 Oil leak and Oil Pressure question

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 52880
Kevin,

Thank You for the response. I have had several responses, and they seem to indicate if I do not Silverleaf or equivalent the gauge the dash is not valid.

Question for Cummins ISL owners: Oil leak and Oil Pressure questio

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 52888
Question for Cummins ISL owners: Oil leak and Oil Pressure question

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 52891

What weight oil are you using?

ddtuttle

aka Billy Byte (trusty hound)
2000 Allure #30443

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 52893
Re: [Country-Coach-Owners] Cummins ISL 400 Oil leak and Oil Pressure question15w40

Kevin

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 52901
I think if you have too much oil in the engine, it can cause your symptoms (oil leaking from breather tube). It is common on my coach to see oil pressure much higher at initial startup (cold engine) than when engine is at operating tempurature. As I recall, my ISL 370 oil pressure numbers are similar to yours.

Larry, 03 Allure, 30856

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 52903
As a follow up; I do recall in my readings, an issue with miscalibrated dipstics with various manufactures (including CC). Each coach manufacturer had to install/modify the engine's OEM dipstick to accomadate different coach configurations. So, if you dipstick showed the right amount of oil, it may be a false reading. There is a procedure for calibrating the dipdtick that involves draining the oil and measuring what goes back in, and comparing to dip stick readings. As I recall, this was the cause of many breather tube oil leaks.

Larry, 03 Allure, 30856

Reply #25
Yahoo Message Number: 52906
I agree. 90% of the time the engine oil is overfilled and comes out the breather tube causing your exact issue. Has the coach been recently serviced since you noticed this problem?

Brian

Reply #26
Yahoo Message Number: 52908
Hi Kevin,

On our 2004 ISL 400-2 engine, the cold start up oil pressure is 82 lbs. The warm idle pressure is 22 lbs. Cummins says anything over 20 lbs at idle is normal. The idle oil pressure will vary according to the idle RPM. I set ours at 650 RPM. If you had a oil change recently, the crank case could have been overfilled. If so, the engine will expell the excess oil out of the crank case breather tube which is also called a slobber tube. Cummins has a attachment that can be installed on the tube to catch the excess oil. After a oil change on our engine, the engine will expell any excess oil. Our dip stick reads a little over 1/2 a quart low and stays there. At 1000 RPM and over, our oil pressure is around 55 LBS. I would consider your oil pressure reading as normal.

Chuck & Mary B, SOB

Shelby Dog, Miss Kitty, Mr Lucky Cat