Skip to main content
Topic: Smart Wheel (Read 6405 times) previous topic - next topic

Smart Wheel

Yahoo Message Number: 59079
I have an intermitten proble with my windsheild wipers (won't turn on). My trouble shooting has lead me to the right side of my Smart Wheel-left side works.

Could find nothing in the manuals on this.

Need help

Terry Bradley

Allure 470 Coach #31461, 42?? Siskiyou Summit, quad slide.

Re: Smart Wheel

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 59085
Quote from: TerryB"

> I have an intermitten proble with my windsheild wipers (won't turn on). My trouble shooting has lead me to the right side of my Smart Wheel-left side works.

Could find nothing in the manuals on this.

Need help

Terry Bradley

Allure 470 Coach #31461, 42?? Siskiyou Summit, quad slide.

Terry,

This Smart wheel link listed below helped me last summer when I burn out my Smart wheel control box. Cost about $200 to replace. The link below has alot of good technical documentation and a phone number to call for additional help if needed. I called them and an electrical engineer helped me troubleshoot the control box. Very helpful people.
http://www.vipwheels.com/WEB%20PAGES/techsupport.html
Gary Mitzel

2006 40' Inspire #51865

Smart Wheel

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 61705
Always something new to puzzle over.
This weekend while driving to a campground, my horn issued a short blast. Several minutes later, it did it again. Then the windshield wipers turned on for only one cycle. Then the horn, etc., etc.
Any ideas on where to start looking? We're leaving on a six week trip Wednesday and I'm concerned that this may escalate into something worse.

As always, thanks in advance.

George

'04 Inspire 51061

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 61707
George,

A friend with a Monaco experienced the same thing and his problem turned out to be a short in the smart wheel circuit board. His was easy to find because we could trace the smell of the burned wires. It was in the bay under his driver's seat. He ordered another one that shipped to him within a couple days and we changed it out. There were a couple of the connectors damaged that we had to replace as well but they were readily available too. I don't have the sites for the board and connectors but can get them if you'd like. Let me know. Good luck.

Tom

05 Inspire #51334

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 61711
George,

If you remove the black plastic boot at the bottom of the steering column you will see a knuckle joint and wires that run from the smart wheel. The joint sometimes rubs against the wires and shorts them out. Also check to make sure the wires are loose to travel when the steering wheel is adjusted up and down. If the wires aren't free to move they can be stretched and broken. We had intermittant turn signals and no horn caused by frayed and broken wires near the knuckle joint.

Dennis Clayton, 2006 Inspire #51581

Smart Wheel

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 61887
OK, we made it to Maine. Interesting trip with the horn, windshield wipers, windshield washers and cruise control going off as they pleased.

Per the recommendation from my original post, I checked the wires going into the steering column and can find no damage. So now we're thinking about the circuit board. Interesting note:the items mentioned went off as they wanted but particularly when a car or truck would pass us.
Can anyone tell me where the board is located and who the supplier was?

As always, thanks in advance for your help.

George

'04 Inspire 51061

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 61888
The only thing all those systems have in common is ground. I would look very hard at the green ground wires being tight, especially under the dash and also in electrical box in the bay under the drivers seat, if you have one there. I suspect a very loose ground wire that is being shaking by the air turbulence of a vehicle passing. For the fun of it, might just be sure all the battery cables are tight at the batteries.

No experience with a 04 Inspire, just going by basic electrical trouble shooting principals. When strange things are happen with the electrical system, suspect poor ground first. Lesson learned through life experience.

Leonard Kerns
97' Magna 5418

Smart Wheel

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 61890
OK, I found the box which I believe holds the circuit board.
I also notice a plastic Shield (for lack of a better term) on the steering column. Removal of this shield would allow me to see more of the wiring. It has black buttons on either side which are slightly raised but I am unable to pry the out or push them in. So now I'm looking for help in getting the shield off.

George

'04 Inspire 51061

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 61895
Thanks Leonard, I'll check the bay under the drivers seat. All else looks good.

George

'04 Inspire 51061

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 61931
Melvin,
Thanks for the outstanding info. Now if I was 20 years younger and 100 pounds lighter, I could get down there to due the testing they suggested.
I didn't see any info about replacing the clock spring so I'm going to give them a call.

Thanks again, I have printed everything and added it to my file.

George

'04 Inspire 51061

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 62005
Quote from: melvinshapiro"
> George, the problem is not the wires going into the column. The problem is a faulty "Clock Spring" located within the steering "Smartwheel" hub. It is an easy fix, remove and replace. You can get it directly from the manufacturer. Try these folks... or most truck dealers. http://www.vipwheels.com/WEB%20PAGES/techsupport.html >

Melvin,

I'm convinced you are right about the clock spring and the tech @ VIP agrees that it is "probably" the cause. However, neither he nor I have any idea on how to replace the spring. Just to make things interesting, there isn't an RV dealer within 200 miles of here that has even heard of a smart wheel.

Any advice on removing and replacing the spring?

George

'04 Inspire 51061

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 62007

George,

I believe instructions for the clock spring were in the literature that came with our coach. Have you checked the Smart Wheel website?

Bob (rthandren@...)
'05 Inspire 51178

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 62008
Bob,
There is nothing in the manuals or back up literature that I have. Nothing on the website either. Only trouble shooting. Very frustrating when you call about ten RV dealers and mechanics and none of them have heard about smart wheel.
Kevin Waite has responded, hopefully he can walk me through the replacement. As I've said before, I know where to put the key to start the coach. After that it's just a big maze.

George

'04 Inspire 51061
[/b]

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 62014
Before replacing the clock spring, jumper the clock spring around the steering wheel to see if it solves the problem. My problem was not a failing clock spring. Also check the voltages in the steering wheel with the smart wheel specs.

Herb

2007 allure 31466

Smart Wheel

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 62161
Update on my smart wheel problems. Everyone from forum members to smart wheel tech service to Kevin Waite tells me the clock spring must be replaced.
Kevin located the part and shipped it to me. I have it in my pudgy little hands.
Problem now is that I have to remove the steering wheel to replace the clock spring. I understand how to do that but I am unable to remove the horn cover or wheel cover on top of the steering wheel to get at the nut that holds the wheel on.

Any ideas people?

George

'04 Inspire 51061

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 62162

George:

Found the attached for a Smart Wheel but slightly different modelk than ours. Appears you just grab the cover towards the windshield and peel back. There are some photos in the document. I assume it is the same for the model we have as they are similar.

Bob (rthandren@...)
'05 Inspire 51178

Re: Smart Wheel [1 Attachment]

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 62167
Bob,
Many thanks, Kevin sent me the same info but I had tried that before I asked for help.
For what it's worth, those diagrams are for a Model 211 (2005 and up), mine is a model 2009 which looks different on top of the wheel as has a different controller configuration.
I'll try to peel it back again but I don't think it will work. It looks like someone tried to pry it with a screwdriver at some point in time.

George

'04 Inspire 51061
[/b]

Re: Smart Wheel [1 Attachment]

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 62169
Bob,

Just found the allen screw under the wheel, neatly hidden.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again.

George

Smart Wheel

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 81535
We have a 2003 Allure/Newport Floorplan. Is the SmartWheel supposed to light up? Thanks, John/Jackie 30951

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 81541

Our '04 Inspire Smart Wheel does not light up either. Sure wish it did when driving at night.

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 81571
John $ Jackie

I do believe that the Smart Wheel buttons are suppose to light up when the headlights are on.

Kevin Waite (Former Country Coach Service Tech.) K&M Mobile R.V. Repair LLC
95430 Noraton Rd.

Junction City, OR. 97448
541-953-6162 (Cell)

kvn.wt.7629@...

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 81573
When I had my Smart Wheel off to replace the clock spring, I saw nothing that looked likewiring for lights or any type of bulb or bulb holder. If you look at the buttons themselves, they are not opaque so would not allow the transmittal of light from below.

George

'04 Inspire 51061

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 81577
Hey Kev, if you want to know how to change out a clock spring, call me. It's only a twenty minute job.