Skip to main content
Topic: Cat starter - remove and re-install (Read 11402 times) previous topic - next topic

Cat starter - remove and re-install

Yahoo Message Number: 65418
I need to take the starter off my C15 and take it to a re-build shop. I worked on it a couple of hours today, and got the wiring disconnected. This was after I an electrical check. My ammeter was showing nearly 40 amps through the selenoid, and nothing through the stater. Last time I started it, a couple of hammer blows knocked it loose.
Problem is, I pried on one of the bolts that holds the starter to the engine, but couldn't get it to budge. No room for a cheater pipe. Since I didn't get a return call from the local mobile RV/Cat mechanic, I went and bought an impact wrench this evening. Assuming that I can get the starter off with the impact wrench, I'm concerned about how to tighten the bolts when I put it back on.
I'm not a mechanic, but I like to tinker. I don't have any experience with impact wrenches, so I am concerned that if I power the bolts back on, that I would risk over tightening and maybe breaking one or more of them.
Can one of the former Cat engineers on the forum give me some idea of much to tighten the starter bolts when I re-install? All I could find via Google are head specs for head bolts.

Re: Cat starter - remove and re-install

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 65459
Ken here! Please dont force any of your starter bolts! I use 1/2 inch drive ratchet and a cheater bar when on the ground. Use a 12 pt. socket if thats the bolt head you have and a long socket ext to get past the starter barrel, Try a Local rebuild shop or go to a Cat Dealer and get a Re-man Have Engine Model ans S/N for the parts counter always call first to see if in stock! Have the old starter for core charge. Make sure the Starter Motor nose matches the Re-man replacment parst guy knoes this! Price around if you wish, but working for Cat I used New or Re-man starters from Cat. Make sure your Battery Sw. is Turned off and Block your tires! Ken 99 Allure 30356

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 65499
Thanks Ken,

The local mobile Cat mechanic came and helped today. It seems that the one bolt that I stated with, was somewhat bonded to the aluminum housing at the tip. It put up a fight all the way out. The threads in the hole are fine, but I will replace the bolt since I don't have any metric thread chasers. The other two came out fine. Most parts houses are closed today (Sunday). O'Rielly has one at a store 200 miles away, but I will try the local Cat shop in the morning.
Yeah, they are 12 point bolt heads. I had never seen such a thing, and that threw me off a bit. I couldn't find 12 point impact sockets anywhere.

I returned the unopened air impact wrench.
With the starter out, I can see some corrosion on the end of the motor shaft, and the solenoid does not push out the gear, so the starter motor itself does not get energized. There is a big crack and a void in part of the solenoid housing, which is probably where the moisture got in that caused the corrosion. Shame on Cat for painting and installing a defective component. You can tell from the bright yellow paint that it was an original defect. This means that the starter motor itself is probably OK. But I will go with a Cat reman if the price is not significantly higher than the one from O'Rielly.

Mike.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 65501
Might be real smart to coat the new bolts with anti-seeze to keep them from bonding to the aluminum. I doubt if it was defective from day one. Starter solenoids fail more often then the starter. Suspected that was the problem with your first post on the problem. Solenoid carry a lot of amps and that can cause a lot of heat if an engine is over cranked without allow the starter to cool down. As for the corrosion, set in salt air much? You don't list the year and make of your coach.

Leonard

97' Magna 5418

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 65503
Mike ...you might put a little more weight on the Cat rebuilt. Warranty on road O'rielly will not be nationwide. NAPA is all over North America and they might be a little better to cut a deal. Ask for a trucker discount and if a company or independent. The owner operator stores can be very flexible with price.
Another Cat extra would be your request for a bench test on the new rebuild. Just gives you the peace of mind when you have finished replacing your 99.9 % sure it works. If you decide to bench test by all means make sure its in a vise well secured.

AL

00 Affinity

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 65514
Hi Leonard,

Thanks for the tip on the anti-seize. Good idea. The defect is the big chunk of the solenoid housing that is missing. I can tell from the paint that it was broken when it was painted.
Lexa is a Country Coach that, as far as I can tell, was only made in 03.
I bought it 2 years ago. It came from California, but that is all I know.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 65599
Thanks for the update! Bummer on the crack, Use this as wiggle room on lowering the price on a re-man. Again compare the old starter with the reman for gear teeth and nose pos. The parts guy gives you the wrong nose pos. He should have his shop tech. turn the nose to match your starter FOR FREE!. Your Mobile tech knows this! Ken 99 Allure 30356

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 65626
Cat in Memphis wanted about $350, and didn't have it in stock. They didn't want to hear anything about the broken cap. In fact, the parts guy didn't want to take my old one as a core, but his tech told him it was fine.
A local rebuild shop, Vee-Co, had a body ready to go. They swapped out my nose piece, replacing the pilot bearing, and bench tested it for under $200.00 with tax.
I would gladly recommend Vee-Co to anyone in the Memphis area with a 12 volt motor problem. I think they do a lot of automotive and aviation work.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 65811
Ken Retired Cat Tech, Please E-Mail Cat Area Rep. For thet dealer with this E-Mail! Go to their website for the link! If you wish I can help you! at the dealer you had a problem! They ought to be asheamed of them selves! I worked for both Ringpower and Pantropic in Florida most of my life! They would of never treated you this way! I suggest you follow this through! I sure would! Ken 99 Allure 30356