Skip to main content
Topic: Battery Charging (Read 884 times) previous topic - next topic

Battery Charging

Yahoo Message Number: 23852
I am finding this forum very informative - thanks to all for your input - can anyone suggest the best way to store for short periods of time so the house and coach batteries don't discharge. I find that using the batteriy disconnect switch doesn't stop discharge from taking place so I am currently leaving the coach plugged into 30amp electrical so the charger can cycle. This leaves me wondering if I am cutting the charger and battery life short by continuely charging the batteries.
The unit cycles so the batteries don't seem to overheat, but it still causes me to think I am overcharging. I would disconnect all the battery cables but this seems to be alot of work for a couple of weeks of no use between trips.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks. Mark Peterson

Re: Battery Charging

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 23855
Make sure your inverter is off, and that you have shut of main chassis and the 12V swiiltch in cabin. Batteries should be OK for about three weeks then recharge if desired. You can leave it plug in just check your warte level often. My preference is solar panels, then you let nature do the charging and you just make sure fluid levels are OK. I have an Allure 03 with AGM batteries unitl solar panel was installed constant heart burn.

Thank you,

Jim Spivey

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 23857
Hi Mark,

After operating the disconnects, simply remove the negative cables which are attached with wing nuts on both the house bank and chassis battery. On the house battery bank, only the wing nut with the 3 cables need to be removed as one of the 3 is the tie to the other house battery. There are two cables (one pos and one neg) attached to the side of the terminals on the chassis battery - they should not be removed as they power the engine ECM's clock which keeps date and time for warranty purposes. The drain when the engine is off is a few milliamps.
Fred Kovol

Quote from: 03 Allure #30916
>

I am finding this forum very informative - thanks to all for your > input - can anyone suggest the best way to store for short periods

of

time so the house and coach batteries don't discharge. I find that > using the batteriy disconnect switch doesn't stop discharge from

taking

place so I am currently leaving the coach plugged into 30amp

electrical

so the charger can cycle. This leaves me wondering if I am cutting

the

charger and battery life short by continuely charging the batteries.
The unit cycles so the batteries don't seem to overheat, but it

still

causes me to think I am overcharging. I would disconnect all the > battery cables but this seems to be alot of work for a couple of

weeks

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 23865
Hi:

I use auto gen set...when needed it charges. No problem yet.

Bob