Skip to main content
Topic: Questions about older CC - Austin (Read 1670 times) previous topic - next topic

Questions about older CC - Austin

Yahoo Message Number: 105470
Hi,

We've been looking for what I'd call a beginner's RV - a sturdy older coach, that can haul the motorcycle, us and our gear around the great state of Texas. There is a 1985 Country Coach for sale in Austin from a car dealer, and we're going to see it tomorrow. I was wondering if I can get some opinions from the group?

We've been trying to do our homework, but we have a few big questions/concerns:

We've been seeing these older 80s CCs on the Gilleg go for around 14,000-16,000, and this one has our prefered floor plan and looks to be in excellent condition (without seeing it), so I feel like $19,000 is reasonable. Thoughts?

We'd really prefer to put a motorcycle lift on our RV, versus tow. We understand that the CC's with the gillig chassis can handle the weight (our bike is just under 650 lb)

We understand that low mileage can be a problem with a cat engine - is there anything we should look for when inspecting it? If we do buy it, is there a diesel mechanic that y'all would recommend that we take it to? We're assuming that it would be a good idea to change out all the fluids and do a full inspection, considering the low mileage.

We understand that some owners have felt the electric on these older ones needs a little work. Since we're looking at putting some solar on it down the road, if anybody has opinions or suggestions on what we need to look out for electric-wise when doing an inspection, we'd appreciate it.

1985 Country Coach Gillig Bus Chassis Caterpillar Diesel Class A RV Zip Dee

1985 Country Coach Gillig Bus Chassis Caterpillar Die... US $19,950.00 Used in eBay Motors, Other Vehicles & Trailers, RVs & Campers

View on www.ebay.com

right

Of course, any other opinions or suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

-Wayne Rudig

kwrudig at gmail dot com

Re: Questions about older CC - Austin

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 105471
Well, I can say for sure that the kitchen has had some upgrades. The interior pix look good. The Gillig chassis is a good one, the exterior looks good but the mileage seems crazy low. I would ask some questions to the seller.

Don

'02 Intrigue 11427
'02 Intrigue #11427

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 105474
This is a great looking old coach and to be truthful is probably built better than the ones from the late 90's on. Newer does not always mean better when it comes to motor homes. Used to have a sign in my office "KISD". KEEP IT SIMPLE DUMMY!! They keep adding amenities to these newer motor homes that are nothing but headaches when they get a few years on them !

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 105479
Thank you for the replies, it is very much appreciated. We have spent a lot of time looking at new and next to new coaches, and the 'extras' was one of our biggest concerns. If we are not working, we are generally doing day-trips on the bike. It felt like we would be paying for a lot of things we just will never use.

Buying an older simpler coach with a bus style chassis seemed a better fit for our needs. We also don't mind riding when the weather is less than ideal--we really wanted to avoid slides, just so we can easily change out flooring as needed. We're going to go look it over this afternoon and if it looks solid, then hire somebody to inspect it more throughly.

Thank you again!

Wayne

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 105481
I'm sure along with lots of others, we're looking forward to hearing what you think after viewing the coach. It sure looks terrific from the pics. Re the mileage, I wonder if that odometer would have stopped at 99,999, and would this possibly then be 135,000 miles? And maybe the folks rarely drove it, so the 35,000 is correct. Good luck!

Mary Frederick
06 Inspire 51784

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 105482
I like older Country Coaches. We saw a beautiful one parked in Dateland AZ about a year ago. That one was a 36'. I drove a 40' late 80's Country Coach like the one in your ad a few years back. They drive great and I like the interiors. These are well made coaches with a very good bus chassis. You need to go look at and test drive this one before dong anything. You do NOT want to buy this without testing it even if half this price. One blown motor will be the price of this whole coach.

I like old stuff though. The easiest things to keep running are new (ish) simple stuff.

Bob & Barbara 2002 Affinity #6071

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 105485
Hi, we hava a 2000 magna 36 foot 99855,miles, great coach compare to some of the new ones, ours is pertty simple, walnut and brass trim, wating to sell home in nc to do more traveling in it. Till then just week trips, old is good. Charles 5886

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 105486
Well it does say 1 owner coach. And I know two people here in San Diego with rolling classic RV's that have low miles on them. Garage kept, and look almost as good today as they did when they were new.

I'd call them directly, and ask more questions. Specifically ask if the have the 1st owners maintenance records, or if possible, could they put you in contact with him/her. (Give them your number, and ask them to have him/her call you...),

You could have found a real gem. Or, if no records available, an opportunity to go in and due a complete baseline maintenance to start off with.

Check the age of the tires, and the battery condition. Have it inspected if you are not comfortable in doing so yourself. Don't trust pictures, as pictures can tell what the seller wants them to tell:)! Fluids analysis.

Price? I'm never afraid to pay a bit more for a well cared for item, IF it is something that I really like.

Best of luck to you,

Smitty

04 Allure 31017
04 Allure Sold to a nice new owner! Now enjoying a 07 Magna Rembrandt 45' ISX600 #6775
"We're ONDROAD for THEJRNY!" (Toad and Coach license plates, say Hi if you see us!)

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 105492
Hopefully you should get the owner's manuals and maintenance records. The dealer or previous owner should explain the function of every switch and control. Open and close all drawers and doors and storage compartment doors and on those exterior door check for corrosion, latching and the condition of the gaskets. Check operation and condition of each window. Open and close awning while inspecting fabric, operation and hardware.
Be prepared to replace tires if more than six years old regardless of tread. Inspect all caulking including the roof and while doing that, look for signs of water leaks in the interior.
Finally, take a drive. The more hills and curves the better. Check tracking, excessive bouncing, wandering, etc. Check engine power, acceleration, hill climbing and straight-line braking. Performance will be less once the coach is loaded.
Good luck, RUSS WARREN Bremerton, Wa

From: Country-Coach-Owners@yahoogroups.com To: Country-Coach-Owners@yahoogroups.com Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 19:23:42 -0700 Subject: [Country-Coach-Owners] Questions about older CC - Austin

Hi,

We've been looking for what I'd call a beginner's RV - a sturdy older coach, that can haul the motorcycle, us and our gear around the great state of Texas. There is a 1985 Country Coach for sale in Austin from a car dealer, and we're going to see it tomorrow. I was wondering if I can get some opinions from the group?

We've been seeing these older 80s CCs on the Gilleg go for around 14,000-16,000, and this one has our prefered floor plan and looks to be in excellent condition (without seeing it), so I feel like $19,000 is reasonable. Thoughts?

We'd really prefer to put a motorcycle lift on our RV, versus tow. We understand that the CC's with the gillig chassis can handle the weight (our bike is just under 650 lb)

We understand that low mileage can be a problem with a cat engine - is there anything we should look for when inspecting it? If we do buy it, is there a diesel mechanic that y'all would recommend that we take it to? We're assuming that it would be a good idea to change out all the fluids and do a full inspection, considering the low mileage.

We understand that some owners have felt the electric on these older ones needs a little work. Since we're looking at putting some solar on it down the road, if anybody has opinions or suggestions on what we need to look out for electric-wise when doing an inspection, we'd appreciate it.

1985 Country Coach Gillig Bus Chassis Caterpillar Die... US $19,950.00 Used in eBay Motors, Other Vehicles & Trailers, RVs & Campers

View on www.ebay.com

right

-Wayne Rudig

kwrudig at gmail dot com

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 105493
Hey y'all,

We went and saw it. The good. Wow. This was built by master carpenters. Very solid, very beautiful custom carpentry. Also, everything was what you would have in your house--real pipes and metal conduit. They clearly overbuilt everything to some pretty exacting standards.

The other thing impressive was the layout. Although there are no slides and it was 38 feet, it felt far more roomy than many new coaches with slides (and we've been in a LOT of RVs in the past few months!) There was also many custom touches--even the interior light fixtures on this coach were hand made out of wood and each one had its own switch. It also had the electric pub thing (it mixes drinks), a built in mixer, and yes, a built in cassette player for the bedroom. (then again, we still own cassettes, so.... )

One thing that was interesting; the screen on the door said "Country Camper". We understand that was the company name before it switched to Country Coach? Oh, and the entire interior roof was beautifully lined in real leather. If you have ever seen those old custom leather roofs in some of the older LTDs and Cadillacs, you will know what I am talking about. It was beautifully stitched and still in great shape. One odd thing; they had ran this leather everywhere, including around the skylight in the shower. Have to say, that's the first time either of us had seen leather used in a shower. And with buttons, even.

The bad. It was from an estate and we suspect the family let this coach sit outside for a while before they finally sold it. The paint was in rough shape and there was definite problems with the seals around some of the windows. The biggest problem was the driver's side wall--there had been a repair at some point and there was bulges in the wall and at least one area we could tell had bondo. There was a door for the generator on that side and the door would not close flush. There was also tell-tell signs of leaking around the window of the bedroom on that sign. It all pointed to bigger issues with the driver's side wall, so we had to pass.

Its too bad--the craftsmanship on this coach and the attention to detail was impressive, After thirty years, it really needed little inside except new flooring and a couple of cabinet latches. You can see how Country Coach got its reputation for being great coaches!

-Wayne

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 105494
The Gillig Chassis is a good one. I have it on a 1994 CC Concept and previously on an 1985 Executive and they are good chassis as evidenced that I still drive one. The coach you are looking at was my dream coach , 30 years ago. In case you do not know it is currently listed on E-Bay and can be bid on it there currently. Check every thing out and have it inspected to your satisfaction and then go for it theres a lot of life left in it if it checks out. Barrie Boas 1995 CC Concept 5111

On Saturday, April 9, 2016 9:17 PM, "RUSSELL WARREN wrussell6_@... [Country-Coach-Owners]"  wrote:

Hopefully you should get the owner's manuals and maintenance records. The dealer or previous owner should explain the function of every switch and control. Open and close all drawers and doors and storage compartment doors and on those exterior door check for corrosion, latching and the condition of the gaskets. Check operation and condition of each window. Open and close awning while inspecting fabric, operation and hardware.
Be prepared to replace tires if more than six years old regardless of tread. Inspect all caulking including the roof and while doing that, look for signs of water leaks in the interior.
Finally, take a drive. The more hills and curves the better. Check tracking, excessive bouncing, wandering, etc. Check engine power, acceleration, hill climbing and straight-line braking. Performance will be less once the coach is loaded.

From: Country-Coach-Owners@yahoogroups.com To: Country-Coach-Owners@yahoogroups.com Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 19:23:42 -0700 Subject: [Country-Coach-Owners] Questions about older CC - Austin

Hi,

View on www.ebay.com

right

-Wayne Rudig

kwrudig at gmail dot com

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 105496
No slight to the builders of the coach, as she sounds like a grand lady...

But I personally would pass, based upon you descriptions of past repairs and current condition. This was a fine coach in it's day, but it is not a a finally now in current condition.

Keep searching for the mix of price, condition and quality of coach that you're looking for...

$.02!

Smitty

04 Allure 31017
04 Allure Sold to a nice new owner! Now enjoying a 07 Magna Rembrandt 45' ISX600 #6775
"We're ONDROAD for THEJRNY!" (Toad and Coach license plates, say Hi if you see us!)

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 105498
While I don't know these older chassis, we did own an old Beaver which was a true jewel but still gave us some surprises. One was a lot of groaning at certain speeds and RPMs coming from what I thought to be the U joints, but turned out to be worn bushings on the spring shackles which allowed some lateral movement of the coach on the chassis which stressed the drive train.

From that lesson, I spent more time under our 2006 Inspire than in it before buying it. Did that with a CC tech and could not find a flaw. Love the way this thing drives!

Michael

From: "'J. Barrie Boas' jbells_32713@... [Country-Coach-Owners]" To: "Country-Coach-Owners@yahoogroups.com" Sent: Saturday, April 9, 2016 9:11 PM Subject: Re: [Country-Coach-Owners] Questions about older CC - Austin

The Gillig Chassis is a good one. I have it on a 1994 CC Concept and previously on an 1985 Executive and they are good chassis as evidenced that I still drive one. The coach you are looking at was my dream coach , 30 years ago. In case you do not know it is currently listed on E-Bay and can be bid on it there currently. Check every thing out and have it inspected to your satisfaction and then go for it theres a lot of life left in it if it checks out. Barrie Boas 1995 CC Concept 5111

On Saturday, April 9, 2016 9:17 PM, "RUSSELL WARREN wrussell6_@... [Country-Coach-Owners]"  wrote:

Hi,

View on www.ebay.com

right

-Wayne Rudig

kwrudig at gmail dot com