Skip to main content
Topic: Turbo boost (Read 2953 times) previous topic - next topic

Turbo boost

Yahoo Message Number: 106202
My turbo boost is only getting up to 18 at best and usually not that much. Going up hills is like having a peddle car. Sliver leaf says no fault and the service center says computer showed no problems. Any suggestions as to what could be going on. I need to get this sorted out and I was wondering if there could be a leak somewhere.
Adriane Stoller
Allure 430
# 31147

Re: Turbo boost

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 106203
Had a similar situation with my 400 ISL, and checked the fuel filter in the rear curbside bay. Bottom clear area was solid green with algae. New filter on and she was like a new engine. I now use a biocide regularly. Good luck, and safe travels.

Jeff Thurston

03/4 Intrigue 42 Ovation

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 106204
Yes, have someone with mechanical knowledge check the air pressure side of the turbocharger to the engine intake. more than likely the clamps are loose or possibly a hole in the hose. Other possibilities are an exhaust leak to the turbocharger. More than likely it's a turbo charger problem

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 106206
I have seen symptoms like that with a turbo car, it is usually a turbo hose leak, often a hose clamp.

From: Country-Coach-Owners@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Country-Coach-Owners@yahoogroups.com] Sent: Monday, May 23, 2016 7:20 PM To: Country-Coach-Owners@yahoogroups.com Subject: [Country-Coach-Owners] Turbo boost

My turbo boost is only getting up to 18 at best and usually not that much. Going up hills is like having a peddle car. Sliver leaf says no fault and the service center says computer showed no problems. Any suggestions as to what could be going on. I need to get this sorted out and I was wondering if there could be a leak somewhere.
Adriane Stoller
Allure 430
# 31147
2006 Magna Rembrandt C13
2016 Jeep GC toad

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 106210
I bring this up, because when they changed our radiator, they pressure tested the charge air cooler (they can be a little expensive to replace) and I asked about the symptoms and was told loss of pressure and loss of horsepower...

Mike

Michael St. John

stjohn911@...

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 106212
I would hope its a loose clamp on a hose. Early 2005 Magnas and Affinities had that issue in 2004 when they were introduced. Those of us with a little older coaches had a plague of charge air cooler radiator failures. I am on my 4th one. CC paid for 3. I assume you have a Cummins , but maybe not. Go to your closest engine dealer service center and they should be able to trace down the problem in an hour or so. I had an issue with a crossover pipe sensor on a previous coach that also leaked. With the replacement of the second charge air cooler my boost pressure went up to 23.5 lbs and my horse power to the ground was 356 hp in 4th gear at 55 mph or about 2100+ rpm. That works out to be about 430+ HP at the flywheel. Pretty good for an ISL 400. Hope you haven't fried your turbo. TWI 2004 Intrigue 11731

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 106217
Adriane:

Check Main Fuel Filter & also test Charge Air Cooler (CAC). A bad CAC will cause you to loose power. Feel free to contact me if you like via my personal information below.

Kevin Waite (Former Country Coach Service Tech. & Owner) K&M Mobile RV Repair LLC
95430 Noraton Rd.

Junction City, OR. 97448
541-953-6162 (Cell)

kvn.wt.7629@...

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 106219
Charge air cooler like aluminum radiators are Bad Dudes that come apart from the vibration. I've met people who have changed the air charge coolers 3 times I've replaced both my aluminum radiator and air charge cooler once. All Air charge coolers are aluminum but I put in a copper core radiator

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 106229
What should the turbo boost maximum be? I have a C13 Cat in a 45 ft 2006 intrigue.

Dennis Holmes

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 106230
Most times in my experience loss of power is related to clogged fuel filters. Bacteria builds up in idle tanks and blocks fuel flow. A fuel additive at each fill up will help.
Jerry & Brenda Azzara

99 Intrigue Chefs Delite 40'

"stollera@... [Country-Coach-Owners]"  wrote:

Adriane Stoller
Allure 430
# 31147

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 106245
I have an 07 Intrigue with C13 and my boost goes all the way to 46 on a steep grade. Today from Bakersfield to Vegas it was mostly around 19 until the big grades at Baker and before state line. Mine is twin turbo.

Thank You

Mark Surber

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 106247
Thanks. Mine has always gone to about 48 max but I was always curious what the max should be. It seems to bog down on long hills/mountains. Maybe because of the 10,000 # tow vehicle.

-Dennis Holmes
2006 Intrigue

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 106265
My C12 never gets above 24# of boost, either. But when it maxes out, the Silverleaf says the motor is putting out 425 HP, and 1500 Lb/FT of torque, so I tend to believe it.

Tim Gerrity

2002 Magna #6081
2011 Escape

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 106269
Turbo boost of up to 48 psi on these rigs is amazing to me. To put things in perspective, the turbo boost of a Porsche Turbo S, a 200 mph car, is 18 psi...

Greg

06 Magna 6642
2006 Magna Rembrandt C13
2016 Jeep GC toad

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 106278
Think about the difference in piston size, coffee can vs tomatoe paste can! Also we are talking diesel vs gas.

Ray

They say wine improves with age! As I enter my golden years, I say age improves with wine! The Born Loser

On 5/25/2016 6:42:10 AM, "greglabadie1@... [Country-Coach-Owners]" Country-Coach-Owners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 106308
Another interesting thing about turbo chargers: each additional atmosphere, ( about 14.7psi) is like doubling displacement. A C13 with 14.7psi of boost is like a 26 liter. With 29.4, a 39 liter, with 44.1psi a 52 liter.

Britt

2004 Intrigue 11836

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 106318
Wow, that is really cool, I had no idea about that! I guess the other thing we have going for us with diesel engines, is when the compression ratio is like 6 to one, we can boost the hell out of it, and not worry about knocking or pinging, like we would with a gasoline engine. The diesel is the perfect fit for big turbo chargers...

Greg

06 Magna 6642

From: Country-Coach-Owners@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Country-Coach-Owners@yahoogroups.com] Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2016 1:08 PM To: Country-Coach-Owners@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [Country-Coach-Owners] Re: Turbo boost

Another interesting thing about turbo chargers: each additional atmosphere, ( about 14.7psi) is like doubling displacement. A C13 with 14.7psi of boost is like a 26 liter. With 29.4, a 39 liter, with 44.1psi a 52 liter.

Britt

2004 Intrigue 11836
2006 Magna Rembrandt C13
2016 Jeep GC toad

Reply #27
Yahoo Message Number: 106326
Compression is what makes a diesel fire, extremely high compression and then inject diesel fuel to cause the explosion.

Ray

They say wine improves with age! As I enter my golden years, I say age improves with wine! The Born Loser

On 5/26/2016 6:54:36 PM, "Alan melandal76@... [Country-Coach-Owners]" Country-Coach-Owners@yahoogroups.com> wrote: