Skip to main content
Topic: High Winds Resulting in Major Awning Damage + Question at the end... (Read 1688 times) previous topic - next topic

High Winds Resulting in Major Awning Damage + Question at the end...

Yahoo Message Number: 110852
Good Morning All,

This is proof that April goes out like a lion!!

Yesterday while traveling from Arlington, TX to Amarillo on 287 we encountered high winds (gusts up to 60MPH!) during the trip and just north of Chillicothe, TX and after a tight curve (where the speed goes from 35 to 70) our awning separated at the front and the fabric starting tearing. Luckily my wife saw this and stated, very loudly, that we need to get on the shoulder ASAP! Well, not much of a shoulder, but came to a full stop. High winds made for a stressful dismantle of the hardware while the torn fabric was flailing all over and over the top of our coach.

We have had road side with Good Sam for 11 years and that was a very negative experience. Due to our location and very narrow shoulder, my wife called 911 as the traffic could not see us due to the trees at the curve.

Soon we had a lady with her son, maybe 15 or so, stop to assist us. We removed the hardware and her son helped me grab on to each piece of flying fabric as we were finally able to tear it all the way off.

Soon arrived the Sheriff, who is the ladies uncle ( you got to love small towns). We had to get off the Hwy and to a location away from the winds to continue with dismantling the remaining hardware.

There was a Hwy crossover about 200 yards from us and the lady got in front to lead the way back to town and safely to a old abandoned gas station C Store. The Sheriff backed up to the curve and stopped on coming traffic. So, with all that, we are good except for a few nightmares and no more awning or hardware for it.

So, my question??? Would you recommend staying with the Zip Dee or upgrade?? -- and if upgrading to which one???

Many Thanks,

Corky & Kathleen Downing
00 Affinity B&B 5769

Re: High Winds Resulting in Major Awning Damage + Question at the en

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 110861
I like my Zip Dee and don't know if I would replace mine with something else if I lost it. But, I don't use my awning that much.

Do you know what happened to the aluminum wrap lock? I've heard one report that it pulled out of the fiberglas and allowed the awning to unfurl in high winds.

pete

2000 40' Magna CAT C-10, #5892
Pete
 2000 40'  Magna #5892  CAT C-10

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 110869
Check your driving insurance policy, mine actually covered this issue. I went back with zipdee as this product lasted over 15yrs. On mine I think the spring went first then the wind did the rest. If you haven't started replacing these springs in your awnings plan on more failures in the very near future.
The smaller ones are easy to replace definitely a DIY project with the only special tool, a rivit gun. The bigger ones (like for slides) can be tricky, dangerous and require more help.

P.S. I would tie your other awnings down while traveling until you replace the old springs. Also, new or old if you expect high winds tie them down while on the road.

Alex Ritchey 2000 CC Affinity B&B

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 110870
Thanks Pete,

I do like the Zip Dee, but we'll be open to other options. The front lock seem to fail as the back lock was still in tact. The majority on the awning is still on road side. We went south to Vernon for a couple on nights. Leaving tomorrow for CO. Have to be in Pomona CA May 13. Many thanks, Corky 00 Affinity 5769.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 110872
You gotta love Texas country folk . You would have been in deep dodo without their help.
Walt

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 110873
After having owned Dometic A&E , Carefree, and Zip Dee awnings, I'll stick with Zip Dee. The airstream TT had travel locks on the Zip Dee, no problem. The Allure had a similar issue so I carried tie wraps with me to strap the awnings in high winds. The Intrigue I replaced the awnings with Zip Dee because the Carefree and A&E kept failing. The factory paid the labor and the cost of the Carefree and A&E and I paid the difference for the upgrade . I still carry tie-wraps just in case I'm heading into a high wind advisory. Travel on I-8 west to San Diego is always a challenge for awnings. TWI 2004 Intrigue 11731

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 110875
My Zip Dee was destroyed while on the 15 between Vegas and LA. I had it locked in place but forgot to put the Velcro straps on before leaving. I turned it in to my insurance company under comp and the manual Zip Dee was replaced with a Dometic power. I am now a happy camper. Cost me the $250 deductible.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 110878
I've been told that zip dee is one of the longest lasting awnings there is, maybe because they don't get used very much. I've found mine to be a PITA, so I've got a new G2000 on order. want my old zip dee?

Ed

2000 Magna 36' C10 #5738
Ed Recknagle
2000 Magna 36  #5738

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 110892
Sure. we'll contact off list. whats your email?

Ed
Ed Recknagle
2000 Magna 36  #5738