Skip to main content
Topic: AC Replacement (Read 2599 times) previous topic - next topic

AC Replacement

Yahoo Message Number: 111101
The original Dometic AC (front one) on my 1994 Magna has failed and needs replacement. Has anyone had any luck finding and installing a replacement? Thanks in advance for your help.
DougC

'94 Magna #5072

Re: AC Replacement

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111103
Sure, easy... just need your model number of the current unit

Jim Lewis

Infinity Coach

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 111109
That number pulls up as the heat duct, need the model number of the roof top unit. Go on the roof and pull the cover and find the model & product number.

Probably due to the age of the unit the entire assembly will have to be changed. The worst part will be the control wiring to the t-stat.

Jim

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 111111
I changed my front Penguin 13,500 btu, heat pump, ducted, single zone thermostat a couple of years ago.

I learned that to stay with a dedicated thermostat for my replacement unit, I needed to select their 15k btu unit.

I purchased the unit in an Ebay Auction:

651916CXX1C0

I then purchased a new single zone thermostat

3313193.XXX Cool/Furnace/Heat Pump

The Dometic Penguin website listing of model numbers in 2015 was a great help in determining what current model number would replace my old unit.

If you can, try to get the lower BTU to reduce noise of operation. One was not made to meet my specs in 2015.

I installed the unit myself and wired the new thermostat. The unit is running as I type.

Your replacement model may be different from the above numbers.

BTW: My 22 year old rear Penguin is still our most frequently used AC unit.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 111112
Oooops

I forgot to add my signature on the above email

Dean

95 Magna #5280

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 111128
Thanks very much for your suggestions and help, especially to Dean who has 'been there, done that'.

I tried contacting Dometic after looking over their web page and I got a message back saying they couldn't help me, I needed to talk to a dealer.

I actually talked to two guys, a dealer and a mobile RV tech. Both came up with pretty much the same thing in the way of parts and wiring and possibly some mods to the ducts. In short, checking the part numbers Dean gave me and the info back from the dealer, it looks like a replacement AC and thermostat plus a couple of other connectors will cost between $1,100 and 1,200 plus tax and probably freight.. Then there will be installation because unlike Dean, I am not that much of a DIY guy. So with installation the cost would be close to $1,500.

There is a chance that the bedroom unit, which quit working about 5 years ago, might be fixable and so I've scheduled to have that checked out on Wednesday. If it works, then with a fan in the doorway to circulate the air, I can probably keep the place sufficiently cool.

If that doesn't work I plan to purchase a portable AC unit that I'll place between the washer/dryer (now a pantry/printer center) and the dinette, ducting the unit thru the window over the dinet. The portable AC includes a heat pump and will cost, with tax, about $500, considerably less expensive and probably cheaper to operate.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 111132
I think I inadvertently responded to wrong party. The thermostats we have are/were obsolete and no longer supported on my 3 Dometic A/C's. Because 2 A/C were inop, 1 due to a short and the other due to the thermostat, I decided to replace all 3 A/C's. The only logical choice after much research (not sure if it was the least expensive) was the Dometic Penguin 15,000 Heat Pump. HOWEVER, the only thermostat option WITHOUT REWIRING, was to replace all three (even though the new one could handle all 3 zones BUT REQUIRED EXTENSIVE REWIRING). There is no need to do anything with ducting. A good tech will be able to scrape old debris, patch and add any necessary sealing for the new unit(s). A lot of work but now it's REALLY COOL here in ARIZONA! Have a good tech if you need one here! Jim Kelso

95 Affinity 5295

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 111135
Since we are going to be in Casa Grande for about 5 months, a recommendation would be very welcomed.

Wally & Elta Mae

2007Allure 470 #31535

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 111136
I think that was a fair price to fix your unit.
Keep in mind the older still working unit will need a new control board as well to work with the new controller. When they finish setting it all up, make sure your heating systems (gas and diesel) work with the new controller before they leave.

Alex Ritchey 2000 CC Affinity B&B 42' #5773

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 111137
JIm,

You might look into Desert Autoplex RV in Mesa, AZ. Eric who has been a employee of Country Coach for years and service manager for Premier Motor coach in Tucson is nor at Desert Autoplex. Eric is one knowledgeable guy when it comes to Country Coaches. I have attached their web site if interested. http://www.desertautoplex.com/

Jock Vargo

Use to own 2005 Inspire

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 111138
Jock, thank you. I was responding to Jim's message that he has a really good tech in Arizona.

Eric, is of cost one of the people I like woking with in Arizona. I have been in communication with him this past week. It sounds like he is really ramping things up there. Will be visiting him late August.

Wally & Elta Mae

2007Allure 470 #31535

AC Replacement

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 111341
I have replaced my dometic penguin 13,500 Heat pumps with the new brisk units.
I have two of the original low profile units I would love to get rid of. I am in Laveen AZ (Phoenix)

Send me an e-mail glnelson@...

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 111382
Do you know what the amp draw was on them before you removed them? What's wrong with them?

Alex Ritchey

alexritchey65@...