Skip to main content
Topic: Danfoss Fan Controller by-pass switch (Read 2053 times) previous topic - next topic

Danfoss Fan Controller by-pass switch

Yahoo Message Number: 111119
Calling electricians

Have run a wire from the rear of the coach to the dash with a switch on the dash. Need help in wiring the rear of the coach to the ECM or Controller??? This is a C-9 with three wires.

Dan 2006 Allure 31348         
Dan

Re: Danfoss Fan Controller by-pass switch

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111121
Controller. My switch is wired into the controller.

John Beach

O6 Allure 31309

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111124
On my Inspire there was a fuse for the fan controller in the fuse box at the front of the coach in the compartment below the driver. I simply cut the wire after it came from the fuse box and and extended the two ends up to the dash. I connected a SPST (on/off) switch between the wires (my controller defaults to high fan if power is lost to the controller). Whenever I want the fan on high, I turn off the switch which forces the controller to high fan. Whenever the switch is on, the controller operates the fan normally. Much easier than trying to run wires to the engine compartment and splicing wires at the controller.

John

'06 Inspire 51905

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 111125
Thanks

A thanks to John and John and Ron,

Got the switch wired will try this morning.

Dan 2006 Allure 31348       
Dan

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 111126
Of course if you got a long, I mean real long, extension cord and 15" box fan. You could just send Linda out to jog along side of the coach while hill climbing and direct the fan towards the side radiator...

But help her out some, at least turn off the OTR AC while hill climbing - that should cut out a few miles of jogging for her:)!

Hey Dan - Is this with the old controller, or the new one you were helping the expert sort out? If the old, did you come to an answer on the ECM going into preservation mode?

Or are you doing this just as a bypass to get you to Oregon for whatever you end up doing with the fan controller replacement?

Travel safe, and best to you both,

Smitty

04 Allure 31017
04 Allure Sold to a nice new owner! Now enjoying a 07 Magna Rembrandt 45' ISX600 #6775
"We're ONDROAD for THEJRNY!" (Toad and Coach license plates, say Hi if you see us!)

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 111129

Smitty

Got the new Danfoss sorted out and trying to get to Peterson CAT to have it installed. There were additional wires on the new one. These are associated with a communications port for programming the Danfoss. Of course no one has the "gateway tool necessary for programing the Controller". They finally figured out that the Fan Controller was in fact programmed for my engine. We will see.

Pulled the fuse under the driver seat and the fan defaulted to high. Hooked up new wire and switch but could not get it to default to high?????

Drove over the Sierras for about 125 miles in the mountains and it worked as normal and then???? Pulled the #84 wire and proceeded to Redding.

Tomorrow     
Dan

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 111406
I have similar problem. Have been driving with fuse pulled. Just had Cummins look at problem and they installed new ECM but problem still exists and they feel programing needs to be done. But now, after reading your post and solution, I am going to have my mechanics installed the switch solution you have done. Just watch the temp gauge and hit the switch when the temp starts to climb. Excellent!!

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 111407
I installed my by-pass switch three years ago, it works great. Mine is wire 87 RJ 2005 Inspire $51264

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 111424
A cautionary note for those pulling the fuse to force the hydraulic fan to high speed;

On my 2000 Magna there are other circuits on that fuse. VIM relays, Allison Harness Interface, and the fan controller. I pulled the fuse, added an external fuse holder with a switch. All fine until one day I had the fuse switched out of the circuit and the coach would not start. Fortunately I used a switch with indicator light and noticed the light. Closed the switch circuit and coach started. Also, I run Silverleaf VMSpc and noticed that when I had the fuse switched out of the circuit that the Silverleaf was not receiving data.

pete

2000 40' Magna CAT C-10, #5892
Pete
 2000 40'  Magna #5892  CAT C-10

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 111489

Pete,

You are sooo right regarding other systems that might be affected when pulling the fan controller fuse. I have pulled my fuse to keep the fan running and engine from overheating. I also noticed the driver heat/defrost fan switch wasn't working. I never would have thought my pulling the engine cooling fuse would affect other systems. I just went out and put the fuse back in and then went in and turned the ignition switch to the "ON" position and turned on the driver heat/defrost fan and sure enough - the driver heat/defrost fan was now working.  :-[  Thanks for your input.

Dave Wheat

2006 CC 36' Intrigue
Duluth, MN

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 115726
July 23, 2018: Just finished installing by-pass cut off switch. Cut wire 84 to fuse which controls fan controller. Fuse located left front compartment under driver. Pushed duel line down thru wire bundle from drivers left console into lower outside compartment with fuse box. Yet to be road tested but I'll feel 100% better when I can control possible engine over temp situations.

Dave Wheat
2003 Intrigue