Skip to main content
Topic: Power Problems (Read 5435 times) previous topic - next topic

Power Problems

Yahoo Message Number: 111929
I am all plugged in to pedestal. I have a Progressive Industries Portable Electrical Management System plugged in to the pedestal which shows that I have 120 volts on each leg and is showing no error messages. Then I have a Hughes Autoformer plugged in to it and then my shore power plugged in to the autoformer. I had one air conditioner, the washing machine, and the Adventa running and the power went off. I checked the circuit breakers both inside the coach and at the pedestal and none of them were tripped. The Progressive EMS was still showing that I had good voltage and no error messages. After the 2 minute and 16 second delay power was resumed and ran everything for a little bit the power again went off. When the 2 minute and 16 second delay passed everything started up again. I have been having this problem off and on for the last few weeks. I also have a TRW 34560 Surgeguard hardwired close to the transfer switch that came with the coach.

Anybody have any ideas?

-Dennis Holmes
2006 Intrigue 530

Re: Power Problems

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111930
My preference is to put the autoformer first, this will boost any low voltage before the surge protect can shutdown for low power.

Check the hardwired protector for errors also.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111931
I assume you are plugged into 50 amp shore power?

If not, then there is your problem. First thing I would do is get rid of the EMS thing you have plugged in before the auto former and see what happens. Then dump the auto former and see what happens.

Don

'02 Intrigue 11427
'02 Intrigue #11427

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 111935
I am plugged into 50 amp shorepower. I have another question. Can your 50 amp breaker in the coach be bad and be causing the problem even though it is not tripping?

-Dennis Holmes
2006 IOntrigue530

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 111937
2 surge supressors in line with each other is not recommended. They tend to fight with each other. Try removing the portable on at the pedestal.

Let me know if that does not correct the issue.

Mikee

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 111938
Is you SilverLeaf max power level set to 30A rather than 15A? I love the Progressive product, have had mine over 10 years . . . shouldn't be your problem.

Lee Z

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 111941
Just an "IMHO" thought, but I believe you're in overkill mode here.

The CCs all have surge protection built in to the coach - hard-wired along with the Inverter/charger. That device is all you really need to protect your Coach from power variations at the pedestal. The auto-transformer and second surge protector aren't going to add much if anything in the way of protection and as you are experiencing, may shut you down un-necessarily.

BTW: for the nay-sayers out there - I have two degrees in Electrical Engineering. You can trust me on this.

Don Hutchins

'08 Allure 470 #31613
Don Hutchins
'08 Allure 470 #31613
40' w/tag, Cat C-9 & Cat tranny

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 111944
Mr Hutchins

I have a question sir. I am buying a new coach so is the surge protector all I need for protection?

Walt

2004 inspire

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 111948
It's probably a malfunctioning Surguard. It's not good to have two you should take the Surguard out. The progressive is much better unit anyway

Rich

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 111949
In my case, the power interruption was coming from the surge protector detecting no ground. The ground fault was in the center core of my Power Take Up Reel. With a new $700 reel, the problem was fixed.
D Jean
CC81072

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 111950
The surgeguard that I have has a key that you can bypass it. Would this work rather than removing it?

-Dennis Holmes
2006 Intrigue 530

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 111951
It's probably a malfunctioning Surguard. It's not good to have two you should take the Surguard out. The progressive is much better unit anyway

Agreed 100 %
Lee

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 111953
How do you check the hardwired protector for errors? The error light is not lit up. Is this the only way to check?

-Dennis Holmes
2006 Intrigue 530

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 111954
Lee: I think my silverleaf is different than yours. I can't find that setting. I have the Magnum inverter set to 30 amp.

-Dennis Holmes
2006 Intrigue530

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 111955
I did just that 6 years ago. It may be a tight fit getting the EMS in, and you may  have to turn it 1/4 turn, take off the face plate and also turn the readout board too. BE SURE ALL POWER IS DISCONNECTED!!! Hum I now recall you have the pedistal model, different wiring situation.

Lee

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 111956
Lee: I think my silverleaf is different than yours. I can't find that setting. I have the Magnum inverter set to 30 amp.
Yes you're right but your setting is correct.

Lee

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 111957
I too would suggest bypassing the OEM Surgeguard in how you have things set up.

We had our Hughes inline first, then the OEM Surgeguard plugged into it. Lost our first Hughes while in the Yukon, from a 'gentlemen' going into the campground generator shack and 'changing a setting' - our Hughes took one for the team... Shut down fast enough to save everything downstream. One circuit board had to be reset on our Norcold 1200, but once 'jumped' to reset - it came back alive well:)!

We have replaced the Hughes, but no longer keep it in line and on at all times. If needed (about 5-6 times in the last two years) we move it out to the pole.

I did also buy a second EMS, from an Escapee coming off the road, it's the Progressive unit and was about 18 months old when I bought it. Carry it as a spare, and will probably swap it out with the OEM Surgeguard later this year, and retain OEM as the spare. (Neither of these are 'hardwired', they're both 'plug and play' so I'll just keep them both mounted in the not too easy to see into, or get into, cabinet. (In the bedroom behind the circuit breaker panel, in our coach., With a plastic access panel from the rear side of the closet.) The Hughes is also plug and play, and I had the original unit in that compartment too... If all (both EMS's and the Hughes), I'll slide it into the cabinet again too.

And as has been message, do get or build an 'at the pole' tester - and test at each pole prior to plugging in. (Just 5-6 days ago, at the Salt Lake City area Pony Express RV Resort, a neighbor close by had his power shut off two nights in a roll. Of course with the need of AC with the 99 degree temps:)! I asked if he had tested the power at the pole, and he explained they had just started traveling, and everything was new to them... So, he is going to now read up on IRV2, Escapees and RV.Net about EMS's (I recommended the Progressive unit, 30A as he has a 30A Fiver... And also to read up on some of the other simple electric tools to carry along as they travel. Nice gent sent me an Email two days ago, to let me know he'd ordered a Progressive EMS and it's on the way to the same park.. (By the way, the park had the electrician in, and they had loose wires at the pole, and with the heavy draw of the had the wire coating melting in places... Way down deep, as the first day he just swapped out the circuit breaker, assuming it was getting weak.)

Best to all, and may the power be with you,

Smitty

04 Allure 31017
04 Allure Sold to a nice new owner! Now enjoying a 07 Magna Rembrandt 45' ISX600 #6775
"We're ONDROAD for THEJRNY!" (Toad and Coach license plates, say Hi if you see us!)

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 111963
Walt,

Depends on whether the new coach you're buying has a built-in surge protector. If it does, you should be fine, though I can endorse the advice several have given of testing the power at the pedestal before you plug in. But you shouldn't need additional surge protection, and the auto-transformer is really overkill.
Good luck with your new Coach. I'd be interested in what you choose. I've looked at almost everything short of the big three (Newell, Foretravel and Prevost - which are all WAY out of the question price-wise) and have found NOTHING that even remotely compares to our '08 CC. So I've concluded that our coach is going to be with us for a LONG time... Don
Don Hutchins
'08 Allure 470 #31613
40' w/tag, Cat C-9 & Cat tranny

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 111971
I am buying a 2018 Newmar Dutch Star. I can have the surge protector built into the coach or use the portable one that connects to the park pedestal. It was suggested to me to buy the portable because if it ever failed it would be easer to replace. Do you agree or not?

Walt

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 111973
I've had mine for nine years and never had a problem and it's built in to my country coach 2007 Allure Portables get stolen

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 111974
By the way I also put a Hughes autoformer in my coach built in for Coach low voltage control. There are some inherent issues with the unit so if you decide to do that let me know and I'll blew you into the problem. They do work grade for parks with low voltage.

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 111975
The answer to that question depends on which unit Newmar uses. There are major differences between makes.

If it is a TRC I would pass.

Mikee

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 111976
Brian - I'm interested in hearing the autoformer issue(s).

Dan

2000 Magna #5788
Dan Siedschlag
2000 Magna #5788