Skip to main content
Topic: Power Problems (Read 5478 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Power Problems

Reply #25
Yahoo Message Number: 111979
I had discovered an issue with of all things high-voltage and got together with the president and CEO of Hughes at my location to discuss the problem. Turns out most people don't build in the Hughes autoformers, they put it out at the plug-in post. Some people were unhappy because of low voltage by the time it got to the coach with line loss. So Hughes basically increases the voltage whatever it is, and increases it by 2.5-3 volts. When I stay at my lot in outdoor Resorts Indio the voltage can get up to 127 volts without the autoformer in line, and with the increase, it puts it over the top where the surge protector will kick off with the the voltage too high (130 volts+). In most applications you don't run into high voltage but more low voltage issues. If you buy one, you've got to make sure you evaluate the voltage at every location you go. Hughes has a plug-in voltage LED readout you can leave plugged into any Outlet. Although I built my autoformer into my coach where it's protected, I put a plug on the coach input into the surge protector and can unplug it and plug in the coach directly to bypass the autoformer. If my voltage is exceeding 125 volts I will bypass the autoformer. Bottom line, the autoformer can trip your surge voltage protection device on input voltage over 127 volts.

Re: Power Problems

Reply #26
Yahoo Message Number: 111996
I'd have it built-in. Saves fiddling with the plug-in every time you hook/unhook. If it ever fails (unlikely) you can always buy a plug-in to replace it...

Don
Don Hutchins
'08 Allure 470 #31613
40' w/tag, Cat C-9 & Cat tranny