Skip to main content
Topic: Rooftop AC Question (Read 2923 times) previous topic - next topic

Rooftop AC Question

Yahoo Message Number: 111542
I have 3 rooftop units and one of them (the center one) stopped working. On the coleman thermostat, the unit just disappeared. It doesn't show up for Heat Elec., AC or Heat Gas…. so I'm thinking that the board that controls the AC unit (that is mounted on the AC unit) is bad. Is this board user replaceable (I'm 300 miles from anywhere that could fix it) and where is the board? I'm thinking its on the RT unit itself, but I'm wondering if you access from inside the coach or from the roof? If anybody has replaced these boards, let me know. Any other troubleshooting, eg. where to test for power, etc. would be great. I have reset the breakers on all three units and have reset the coleman thermostat and that hasn't cleared the problem.

Jim

Jim and Jona Seifert

jim.jona.seifert@... 2007 Country Coach Intrigue Ovation 530 42' Coach #12150

525 Cat C13 Allison 6spd

Toads: 2014 Ford F150 / 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser w/ REMCO DS Disconnect.
Airforce 1 Brake system
Blue Ox Aventa II Towbar
Jim and Jona Seifert
2007 Intrigue 530

Re: Rooftop AC Question

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111543
Clean the data cable ends on all 3 and the thermostat and it will probably start working again.

Mikee

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 111550
There are lot products to clean connectors. One is CRC Electronic Cleaner and the other CAIG DeoxIT D5.The CRC does an OK job. The DeoxIT does an excellent job.I DeoxIT is spendy.I usually use the CRC followed by the DeoxIT.The DeoxlT got the 4 button thermostat working when the CRC could't.

Frank

2000 Magna 5766

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 111553
Suggest that you turn off ALL power to avoid shorting the connectors and blowing fuses (don't ask me how I know).

Dick May

2002 Intrigue, #11438
Dick May
2002 Intrigue, #11438, towing a
2014 Jeep Gr Cherokee ecoDiesel

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 111611
Good Suggestion! Where do the data cables originate in the ac units (roof top or inside the coach above the ceiling)? Without tearing into / tracing wiring all the way back from the thermostat.
Thanks for the help!

Jim and Jona Seifert

525 Cat C13 Allison 6spd

Airforce 1 Brake system
Blue Ox Aventa II Towbar
Jim and Jona Seifert
2007 Intrigue 530

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 111614
One at the back of the thermostat, then remove the cover outside of each unit and you will see the data cables daisy chained from unit to unit.

Mikee

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 111618
Got it! Thanks, I'll try it and report back. Thanks Mikee

Jim and Jona Seifert

525 Cat C13 Allison 6spd

Airforce 1 Brake system
Blue Ox Aventa II Towbar
Jim and Jona Seifert
2007 Intrigue 530

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 111619
Have You tried reprogramming the thermostat?? Also, on my CC conversion there are three switches above the drivers head sometimes hidden by the sun visor that controls power going to the ac units. Don't know if yours has these or not, but would be worth a look

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 111793
Hi All. I traced out which unit was not working and have ordered a new “box†that controls the unit. I suspect the box/board is bad because the thermostat is not getting any information from that A/C unit, nor is it getting any information from the Hydro Hot zone. Thermostat only “sees†units 1 and 3. I'm going to swap out the boxes this weekend and see if that fixes it. To do this I'm going to kill the power to the unit at the breaker and shut off the house batteries (salesman's switch) to make sure there's no power to the box. I know I need to set the switch inside the box to tell the thermostat which unit it is. Anything else I should know (from someone who has done this before?)

Thanks! Jim

Jim and Jona Seifert

525 Cat C13 Allison 6spd

Airforce 1 Brake system
Blue Ox Aventa II Towbar
Jim and Jona Seifert
2007 Intrigue 530