Skip to main content
Topic: Want a Basic Solar Panel Setup to Maintain House Batteries Outside (Read 2319 times) previous topic - next topic

Want a Basic Solar Panel Setup to Maintain House Batteries Outside

Yahoo Message Number: 111592
We often store our coach outside 1-3 months without shore power. I normally switch off both chassis & house batteries. A solar panel could cancel out parasitic drain.

I'm looking for a simple setup and product recommendation for a solar panel I'd temporarily mount up on the roof or ladder while in storage and run the needed wires to the house (and chassis?) batteries.

What do you recommend?

Lee Z

Re: Want a Basic Solar Panel Setup to Maintain House Batteries Outsi

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111594
Very interesting, got me to thinking about this as well. One solution was posted, hope we get more solutions as well as connection information. Hope you posted this on IRV2.

Wally & Elta Mae

2007Allure 470 #31535

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 111597
L Z

Take one solar panel.

I use a Windynation, 100 watt flexible panel. Run a bead of adhesive around the out side edge, mounted on the roof. Need to figure out the best location. I ran the two cables down the back side of the refrigerator. Snaked the cables across too the battery bay. Installed a victron energy blue solar charge. MPPT 75/50 which will control the charge. Plus a switch after the charger to turn if off. Mounted the charge on the wall in the battery bay. Then ran cables to batteries. This puts out about 18 to 20 volts, changer manages the charge to the batteries. If your a heavy user, then more than one solar panel can be used, but for storage it's just about the simplest approach to use. Panel lays flat on roof and will keep batteries topped off.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 111598
I have just finished installing two 100W panels on the roof of my coach. I used the flexible panels that mount flat on the roof. They might also be a good choice for temporary installation. Very light and easy to handle. I used the more expensive MPPT charge controller but for one panel the cheaper SPM (I think it is) would work. I connected mine to the echo charger in the chassis battery bay at the suggestion of George in Birmingham (thanks, George). I connected the positive wire from the controller to the Charger Power lead at the boost solenoid and the negative to the battery post. Bought all significant parts from Amazon and small hardware from Lowes. Mine is also in an unpowered storage spot and I got really tired of dead batteries. I can offer more info if needed. Hope this helps.

John

2006 Inspire 360 51919

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 111601
Most low cost solar charger are made to charge one bank of batteries. You might need some diodes to seperate the 2 banks of batteries.

Happy Connecting. Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S® 5

---

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 111602
Lee,

If you plan to add solar you might as well install kit that will help you at all times. I highly recommend Renogy. They have quality stuff. I think you can also get them through Amazon.

400 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Starter Kit w/ MPPT Charge Controller

A word about the flexible panels. The capacity of these panels is less than the solid glass covered units and also the life of the panels is less.

Connect the solar charger to your house batteries. The echo charger will automatically charge the chassis batterie(s)

Barney

07 Inspire 52059