Skip to main content
Topic: OTR AC Stopped Working (Read 4077 times) previous topic - next topic

OTR AC Stopped Working

Yahoo Message Number: 111683
Pulled into the ABQ, NM Cummins yesterday, and our OTR AC was putting out real nice cold air. Had front shocks changed from RK's to Koni EVO-99's, and then the tech hooked up his computer to the under the dash port to make some Jake Brake setting changes for me.

Went to do a test drive on the Jake settings changes, and no OTR AC. Got the tech off to side when I got back to the shop, asked if he could think of anything he might have hit that could have had an impact on the OTR AC. He thought about it, and said nothing he could think of. He said certainly no electric contact or sparks causing events... Had the Service Write note on our invoice that OTR AC was working when we came into the shop, and not when we left, to have a record. (Probably just Murphy's Law, but wanted it documented.)

OK, so the fan does come on. I've tried shifting the temperature knob over from Cold to Hot two or three times, to see if it might unstick a stuck door.
Will be looking for fuses under the driver's seat compartment next, and will do a visual of the belts in back too.

Wanted to reach out to ask for other recommendations on what to check besides these?

04 Allure, singe cab OTR AC (Vs the dual zone OTR AC's of higher CC models.

TIA, and best to all,

Smitty

04 Allure 31017
04 Allure Sold to a nice new owner! Now enjoying a 07 Magna Rembrandt 45' ISX600 #6775
"We're ONDROAD for THEJRNY!" (Toad and Coach license plates, say Hi if you see us!)

Re: OTR AC Stopped Working

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111691
Vacuum line disconnected would be my guess as all the controls, except fan, are run with vacuum.

Ray

They say wine improves with age! As I enter my golden years, I say age improves with wine! The Born Loser

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111710
Smith,

Just a favor, after you have put miles on the new shocks, could you let us know your feelings about them.
Thanks

Dave & Jodi

2007 Allure 40' w/tag
Coach #

Henderson, NV & Mtns of So. Calif
Dave & Jodi
2007 CC Allure 40’ Tag #31495
2012 Jeep GC
Big Bear Lake, Ca & Henderson, Nev

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 111711
Ray - Thank's - Good tip, I'll chase down lines from the front area where the Shocks were replaced - and under the dash...

As far as you line about age and wine... Just about two months ago, my wife and i were invited with another couple, to 'partake' in the opening of a French Red that a friend of our's had just inherited from his Father's Estate. (A cellar with ~150 case of various wines, accumulated from all over the world. Properly stored in a cellar below his Fathers home in Montana. A 30 year plus collection. (Our friend said he had to way until he divorced his Mom, before he could really focus on building up his collection - as before then, all of his disposable (And then some...) funds went to her shoes and clothing shopping!!) (He said this cheerfully, and is very close to his Mom. But, commented that his Dad did not start collecting cars, wines, vintage LP's (A black frisbee looking thing, that spins and reproduced amazing analog sound reproductions...) - until after their divorce!!!)

Well, the vintage wine was a bust... it had turned... So, he had us all join us where he had relocated all of the inherited wines to - and each select a bottle. We returned to his deck, opened them all and let them appropriately breathe (As we all so skillfully solved none of the worlds problems with our conversation...). We then, with him leading, had a great evening of sampling some really 'mostly' incredible vintages of vino. One more bad one in the mix...

So what? I share this story, as it very much parallels are approaches to shopping for good used coaches... You for sure, can't really judge a used coach - until you have sampled it....

Please, all of you now, return to helping fellow CC owner's - you are released from my fond memory that Ray's line goosed within my memories.

Best to all,

Smitty

04 Allure 31017 (Do have fun. Do be responsible too!!)
04 Allure Sold to a nice new owner! Now enjoying a 07 Magna Rembrandt 45' ISX600 #6775
"We're ONDROAD for THEJRNY!" (Toad and Coach license plates, say Hi if you see us!)

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 111712
Friend years ago that collected wine told me the big challenge is when to drink. Pick it right and you have exquisite glass of wine. Pick it wrong most expensive bottle of vinegar you have ever bought.

One other thing when you cut the foil the value goes to zero.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 111723
Snuck another 20 mins of poking around today (Boss has me on a schedule!!).

-With engine off (Great safety tip, as you never know...), I could easily spin the AC Compressor. Belt looks/is fine.
-Started engine. Had DW turn on the AC, and could detect no difference in the AC Compressor. We repeated this cycle two or three times. So not positive the AC Compressor is kicking in, as I would have expected when she turned it to AC or MAX AC - I'd have heard it engage.
-Went ahead and did two or three cycles of turning on the heater, waited a few minutes, then back to AC. Sure could tell when the heater was on, but the shift to AC just slowly went from blowing hot air, to warm air.
-Went ahead and cycled thru all of the different dash/floor/defrost combinations. And each position changed accordingly. Could hear the plenum behind the dash, changing as I adjusted the settings.

Will wait for later today, due to the Bosses schedule, and then look over fuses.

My bet is the Freon is low enough to not allow the AC Compressor to kick in... Assume this is RF134(?), so might get a can or two from Walmart to see if I can top it off...

If any of the steps I went thru prompts a: 'Say Smitty, you might want to try this...'... I always welcome input from the CC Collective!!

Best to all,

Smitty

04 Allure 31017

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 111724
Is the compressor clutch kicking in? You can tell by not starting motor but turn the ignition key on (don't start it). Stand near the compressor and have an assistant turn on and off the AC a few times. If the AC clutch is working you should hear it clicking off and on. If the clutch is out the compressor will not pump the Freon gas.

I did this last week on my grandson's 1986 F150, it was a bad clutch

Walt

2004 Inspire

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 111726
Smitty, Mike and I thoroughly enjoyed this lovely story! The good part was the picking out of the wines and then sampling the mostly incredible wines! What an adventure that was along with the great visiting! We had a similar experience â€" invited to join in drinking from a very special bottle of wine â€" yup, vinegar!

Wishing you both the best!!!

Mary and Mike Frederick
06 Inspire 51784

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 111727
Say Smitty, you might want to try this:

Take a look at your filter/dryer canister and see if it is fitted with a "trinary switch". If it is, one wire from the switch should connect to the compressor clutch, and another to 12v through the dash controls.
The switch may have four terminals on it, two of which are for an electric fan, which I don't have. The switch disables the compressor by opening the 12v circuit to the clutch under two conditions, 1) excessively high refrigerant pressure, or 2) low refrigerant pressure (low gas). If the switch is bad, it usually can be replaced without loosing your refrigerant charge. 
Dave

2000 Allure #30444

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 111730
Fremont level should have no bearing on compressor operation. In fact unless you pull a vacuum with a pump it would be nearly impossible to add refrigerant

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 111731
Yes to both. We have a leak in our otr ac. I had topped if off a few times and then the compressor stopped working. I noticed I had blown a fuse for the ac, in the box by your left foot on the drivers side. So I replaced the fuse and all was working fine again until it blew another fuse. Ok so off to friends shop I go and he said the clutch is probably burnt out drawing too much current. Ok then, so, I ordered a new compressor which looks like it may have been leaking and a new receiver dryer. I may be replacing these components tomorrow (Sunday) and will keep you posted on results. So yes get a few cans and top it off, walmart has the 134a for 4.99 or something a can. The little adapter has a basic gauge that will keep you safe. If it were me, I would buy an inexpensive set of manifold gauges as they give you the real time results of you hight and low side of the ac system. This set of gauges will allow you to top it off correctly from the git go. Also check the fuse if ac compressor doesn't come on when you are filling it with the Freon. Yes you need motor running, ac on high. Be carefull of belts and pulleys from taking your hand or loose shirt off. That's also a plus with the manifold gauges, long hoses, auto zone or advance auto has them. Let me know how you make out.

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 111733
Wrong too much or to little freon will keep the compressor clutch from engaging.

You also can add freon without creating a vacuum in the system, freon is under pressure in the can. You can not fill the system completely if the compressor isn't running though.

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 111740
If its low on freon, you should be able to use a jumper wire between the terminals to activate the compressor. If the compressor works, then you can add freon. Keep the compressor running when adding the freon.
Tom
2007 Allure 430 Hood River Triple slide
'18 Silverado w/ M&G Braking system

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 111747
There is only two ways to accurately charge the system weighting the charge in after a complete vacuum of the system or using the superheat method

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 111748
You could try a 12v positive jumper wire to the compressor with the engine running.

You should then see the clutch pull the pully in. That likely means that the compressor is working but you might have a relay or fuse that is failed.

If it does work with the jumper, then run the jumper from the relay or fuse (in the forward driver side compartment) to see which is failed.

If the compressor is working correctly electronically, do check the vacuum bulb under the front dash. The hose from the bulb detached during travel and we went from cold to warm instantly. Easy fix.

Auto Zone lends out the full AC gauge set. Attach the gauges to the ports and see if pressure readings are ok.

If not, use the gauge set to install addition refrigerant.

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 111749
If it was my system and I was replacing the compressor and receiver dryer, I would use a vacuum pump to pull out the moisture etc from the lines. I'm not too sure you will get the unit to put out nice cold air without using a vacuum pump. A vacuum pump will also let you know if you have a leak. If it wont hold the vacuum, then there is an issue.
Tom
2007 Allure 430 Hood River Triple slide
'18 Silverado w/ M&G Braking system

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 111750
Very good point once the system is opened or a severe leak that drains system.

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 111751
Yes when ever you open an ac system within reason you must evacuate the moisture out with a vacuum pump. I did omit this piece of the puzzle assuming that everyone knew this. I have a friend who has an hvac business and he will vac and charge it for me. I may also get the set up from harbor freight as I have several ac systems to maintain.

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 111753
We just had this same problem. Compressor was not turning so we thought we would need a new one. Hubby was nosing around back there and found a loose wire next to the compressor, it came apart in his hand, not just hanging there so would not have seen it. Put it back together and all was well. Very thankful it was a simple fix.
Thanks to Kevin Waite for his help...again!!

Linda and Larry
08 Intrigue 12234

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 111755
Had another 30 mins to play RV Tech again:)!

-Ignition on

-Wife turned on/off the AC switch 5-6 times as I was back with my head in the engine bay, and hand on the compressor.

Nada. No noise or feel of the AC compressor getting a signal to do anything. That I could tell anyways.

Based upon the following examination of all the related fuses I could locate. Is this an induction that the AC Clutch itself maybe bad? (Will see if I can get in and over it to spot where to do the jumping tip.)

On our coach, we have four 20A fuses with "AC" in the mix: -Wire 183, 283, 83 - all have the word AC in them. All fuses test good.
-Wire 96 - Actually is labeled AC Clutch - so again tested this and OK

Have been under the dash, and all wires leading from the back of the AC control switch seem solidly attached, from what I can see.

Linda - Thanks for sharing what your Husband found back by the AC compressor. I'll poke around back their when we return from a shopping run.

After that, I suppose I'll need to start chasing individual wires to see if one may have been cut or compromised.

Have appreciated the assistance - many thanks to all,

Smitty

04 Allure 31017

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 111756
Yeah!! My MIL called, so I had an hour to chase wires!!!
"We just had this same problem. Compressor was not turning so we thought we would need a new one. Hubby was nosing around back there and found a loose wire next to the compressor, it came apart in his hand, not just hanging there so would not have seen it. Put it back together and all was well. Very thankful it was a simple fix.
Thanks to Kevin Waite for his help...again!!

Linda and Larry
08 Intrigue 12234"

Linda & Larry - This was our problem too:)!

Appreciated you're sharing your recent experience (And Kevin Waite too! We do sign for his assistance program while on extensive trips, and Kevin has helped me source parts too. Heck, he sent me a replacement screen door handle to General Delivery TOK, AK... But then never billed me for it. My DW and I had to track him down while in his region, and again ask how much we owed him!!! Good people he be:)!)

I speculate that about two years ago a mobile tech that came to help me tighten some antifreeze fluid dripping fittings, moved the harness out of his way to get access. To the best of my knowledge, the AC Compressor has never been off of the engine. The wire was pulled out of the split sleeved conduit by about a foot. And had probably eventually 'vibrated' loose the male/female plugs. (Disappointed with myself on this, as I do an annual crawl with flashlight under the coach, and in the engine bay, looking for chaffing wires and or hydraulic lines - and missed this completely!!!). All back together again, with a few inches of electrical tape to help hold it together, and tucked back into the conduit sleeve.

DW, yep while still talking with her Mom, cycled the AC On/Off again for me with the ignition on - and could hear the clutch nicely!!!

We're parked with our exhaust pointing at a patio just down below us by around 5 - 6' in the site next door. Couple are out entertaining (Well, suppose I entertained them, crawling up and behind the ISL... One fine lady asked me if I was practicing to be a plumber (So cinched up my belt another notch, before going back under with the electrical tape!!!) another couple - so will not start the engine to test the AC now...

But 100% comfortable that the OTR AC should now work...

Many thanks to you all, especially the tips on Freon do's and don'ts - file away for the future.

Ivandehoef - Look for me on the road (Coach SD Plate is THEJRNY and CRV's is ONDROAD - and I'll buy you whatever your favorite adult beverage is:)!

Smitty

04 Allure 31017

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 111766
Thanks for the drink offer Smitty, glad we could help. We too thought we would be needing a new compressor.
Our next project is shocks so we are very interested in your thoughts on your new ones.
Larry and Linda
08 Intrigue 12234

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 111767
Hi Larry and Linda

I'm interested to know why you need new shocks, how many miles are on your coach? We have 53000 miles on our 2007 Intrigue last year Eric at Premier in Tucson adjusted ours and they work great now Darrell and Marsha
2007 Intrigue 12075
C13 Cat