Skip to main content
Topic: aux air compressor for tires (Read 4228 times) previous topic - next topic

aux air compressor for tires

Yahoo Message Number: 111826
Hi, we hope soon to be living in our 2000 magna if and when we ever sell our home in nc, looking for a air compressor 120 volt would be ok not to big in size, to top off tires, any input would help, thanks Charles 5886

Re: aux air compressor for tires

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111827
Hi Chales, I purchased a Viair 12 volt compressor to top off my tires. Works great! It is a RV model that has its own caring case, extra hose and pressure gauge. Easy to hook up as the battery compartment on our 2000 Magnas is at the rear wheels with plenty of hose to reach both fronts.

Steve Wilcomb, 2000 Magna, #5784

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111828
What's wrong with using the 400 horsepower one you have already?

Robert McClermon
2000 intrigue
Robert McClernon
2000 Intrigue
40 one slide cummins 375

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 111830
I increased the tire size of my front tires so that my on board compressor could air them up for travel based on the axle weight. The on board compressor struggles after 107 psi as do the Truck Stop compressors.

Prior to doing this, I needed my Craftsman compressor to achieve the required 115 psi.

Dean

95 Magna 5280

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 111832
Good comment Robert....why would someone use a aux compressor that injects moist air into a tire ?

Using the RV compressor having its own air dryer you eliminate water or dirt going to your tire. affinity

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 111833
It is the volume of air, not the pressure. The on board compressor will do it but the time it takes is...... Who wants to listen to your 400 HP compressor try to pump up a tire from 95 psi to 115?

Don

'02 Intrigue 11427
'02 Intrigue #11427

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 111834
We've carried a Sears inflator for years but rarely use it. As we travel mostly in the West, and have bought a lot of tires from Les Schwab, we just routinely stop at one of their stores every few days and ask them to check the air. They are very cooperative, get every tire where it belongs, and on sometimes replace any valve stems that acts up during the process. There is no charge, it is easier for us, and makes a happy loyal customer out us.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 111835
Many truck stops have air stations, some right along side the fuel lanes. I use them regularly, leave the in-board air for emergencies. Besides, under normal conditions you should only need to add air a couple times a year.

Lee Zaborowski

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 111836
Waiting until the 400hp compressor sneezes is the preferred way of adding air. Taking a look at your dash air gauges should display 120 lbs +/-. usually when the sneeze occurs. Actually with the reserve / volume you have available should have no problem topping off your tire.
My point is an alternative to using a water maker compressor to air your expensive tires.
Affinity

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 111839
Thanks for all the replies on air, just called michelin tires and ask about the amount of moisture to top off tires and they said no harm at all using a air comp,i think a aux air comp would work ok with out running the cat to build up air, our cat is lould thanks Charles 2000 magna 5886

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 111842
Schwab(sp) in junction city sells what they call a "doubler". You can use it in conjunction with your on board compressor to get over 160 psi.

Sent from Mark's iPhone

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 111843
I have had one of the doublers for years and I use it once in awhile, works great with the engine compressor..

Jerry

2004 Inspire 51012

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 111845
Andy,

I'm looking at a new way to top up my tires as well, other than using a compressor, so I'd definitely be interested in hearing more about your nitrogen system/setup. I've done a bit of research on CO2 systems but haven't bit the bullet yet.

Thanks

Graeme Arnott
07 Allure 31500

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 111850
In the FYI department, I purchased a CO2 tank (as my backup after a tire leak years ago) thinking it would solve my problems. CO2 isn't as readily available as I originally thought AND there is a certification that is mandated (apparently by law) every 5 years. This has caused a unexpected last minute problem getting it refilled in a timely manner as well as the cost of re certifying.

While the CO2 works just great - I keep in mind the possible issues on refilling.
It would have probably been easier (and less expensive) to buy a air doubler. There is a part number from Monaco that was 1/2 the price from our friends at Les Schwabs but I've been unable to find it again (not sure it is still available).

I like the idea now of refilling with the engine after viewing the video on RV Geeks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDOqCk6dTuo

In any event, proper air pressure is so very important, whatever system you decide on, will ensure peace of mind for the long term.

Jim Kelso

95 Affinity 5295

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 111851
Thank you Jim for the video!!! Sure makes a whole lot of sense now that I've seen it. Been frustrated before trying to use the onboard compressor. Simple and inexpensive now that I understand the principle. Off to the hardware store now!

Brenda & Jerry Azzara

1998 Intrigue Chefs Delite

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 111853
Great information, and 400 bucks cheaper than an air doubler!

Robert Mcclernon
2000 intrigue
Robert McClernon
2000 Intrigue
40 one slide cummins 375

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 111855
I saw in the latest Harbor freight a knockoff of the 150# compressor I bought. It is rated at 150 and the cost is around $60

Brian O’Day
Eprint
9970 SW Greenburg rd
Portland, Or 97223
(503)684-2679
brian@...

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 111862
The RV Geeks video is excellent! I didn't fully understand this process, but now I do. Headed to the hardware store today!

Amazon.com: VIAIR 45053 Silver Automatic Portable Compressor Kit (450P-RV),...

Don Hutchins

'08 Allure 470, 40' tag, Cat C-9 w/ Cat tranny
Don Hutchins
'08 Allure 470 #31613
40' w/tag, Cat C-9 & Cat tranny