Skip to main content
Topic: One of 6 bad battery? (Read 1896 times) previous topic - next topic

One of 6 bad battery?

Yahoo Message Number: 111891
Hey-

I checked my 6, 6v domestic batteries today with one of the turkey baster testers -

One battery I think is going bad - the other 5 are all reading 1275-1300 on all cells pretty evenly, but the one battery varies from 1260 to 1300, and one cell was unusually high in acid level. I do check and fill the batteries as necessary every 3 months, and I did fill them 2 weeks ago. How is the one cell much higher now?

The bank is float charged, and I did a equalization cycle about 2 weeks ago (last time as about a year ago).

So, my question is, if the one battery is going bad, will it negatively effect the other 5, such that I should replace the one battery?

The batteries are Interstate Deep Cycle Extreme- GC2-XHD-UTL - I think they are around 4-5 years old at this point (the date stickers were not changed to show the date).

Thanks,

Wes Owens

Currently in Grand Lake, Colorado
Wes Owens
2000 CC Allure 36' #30443
Full time, western US summer, Mexico 6 months over winter.

Re: One of 6 bad battery?

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111892
Yes a Congleton cell in a single battery will effect the entire bank it is part of.

Re: One of 6 bad battery?

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111900
Hi Wes, My Dec. 2012 T105's are routinely 1.260 to 1.275 and still float easily. One battery will effect the performance of the bank but .040 isn't alarming.

Good Luck....Skip 2002 Intrigue #11329 currently in Lincoln City, OR