Skip to main content
Topic: Exterior skin stress crack at slides (Read 2328 times) previous topic - next topic

Exterior skin stress crack at slides

Yahoo Message Number: 111923

We've been window shopping for another coach, one with some slides. Our '93 Magna has none. We could use some additional room.

My husband looked at a '02 36 ft with two slides, today. Unfortunately, all four lower corners were cracked, at the slides, as shown in attached pic. This is the second coach we have noted this condition on. Another '02 but longer.

Is this a common condition of this era of coaches? Did CC correct this weakness and if so, when?

Thanks!

Marie & Eddie Slagle
'93 Magna

Re: Exterior skin stress crack at slides

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111925
I have one persistent crack on my 08 Allure. The body shop tried to fix it 3 times. Each time they went deeper into the crack but it still returned. In 2 years it hasn't gotten any worse so I am just living with it. I found a company that would warranty it against returning but at a cost of $2500.00. Plus they would have to cut a vertical groove from the upper edge of the crack to the belt line and then put a piece of molding in the crack to let the panel expand and contract. Good luck with your hunt for a new rig.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111960
Our 36' 2002 Allure has the same problem, but only on one corner - the lower rear galley slide-out corner; and nowhere near a bad as your photo shows.

The advice I got from two repair facilities was to just keep the crack sealed to prevent delamination issues down the road.

IMHO: I'd want to have someone knowledgeable check for more serious structural problems before considering a purchase if all four lower corners have significant cracking.
--

Tom Harsch 36' 2002 Allure #30791
Rapid City, SD
--
Tom Harsch -- 2002 36' Allure #30791

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 111962
We are passing on the coach. Between the stress cracks and several other items my husband found, we will keep looking.

Marie
'93 Magna
Dillwyn, VA