Skip to main content
Topic: Inverter upgrade question on a 94 Gillig chassis coach (Read 4460 times) previous topic - next topic

Inverter upgrade question on a 94 Gillig chassis coach

Yahoo Message Number: 112112
Hi Everyone

This inverter project I'm doing - that's moving along like a herd of turtles, has just thrown in a couple of new curves. Has anyone here had hands on experience, or know anyone who has, or who's had this done to their coach?

Started with bad slides on both trays holding the batteries. Four slides, two trays, 4 - 8D's, two house bank two chassis. Coach has sat on shore power 99.9% of the time since I bought it in 2014. Realized as I get into the battery slides that the converter has cooked the house bank long ago. So I start to plan for all new batteries and a system to PROPERLY charge and care for them.
The ONLY thing in this coach for checking batteries is 2 toggle switches on the monitor panel, 1 for the domestic bank and 1 chassis, to check voltage of each bank. Old CC setup was a Todd Engineering 75a converter and Heart HD 1800-12 inverter. Both mounted in the electrical bay. along with 12v dist. panel, 2 transfer switches, AC feeder panel and a couple of things I'm still working on identifying... Also in there is the H2o heater on the drivers side, and partitioned off on the passenger side, is the Suburban furnace. All the AC and DC panels are mounted to the fwd bulkhead where the battery cables go through to the battery bay.

I've planned to install a Magnum MS2812 inverter. Since I'm already having to go this deep, and that I already have to build a new domestic battery tray because of corrosion damage, go with 6 - 6v Lifeline AGM's instead of 2 - 8D's for my house bank. Build the new tray to fit the 6v setup. Ok... If I'm going this far and opening up this much of the coach to do this why not consider solar too? So I've planned that into the mix also.

I am learning the CC electrical system, and coach in general, so as I start preparing for running new 4/0 cable to replace the factory 2/0 cable and 200a fuses to 4/0 - 400a per Magnum recommendations, I realize that the 12v distribution panel is wired in-line BETWEEN the old Heart inverter and the battery bank. Protected by a 200a circuit breaker in the battery bay, and a 200a barrel fuse where the inverter ties to the dist panel. In no drawing I've seen from Magnum do I see ANYTHING, besides a fuse or a shunt, in BETWEEN the battery bank and inverter...

So...

Does anyone have any insight into this particular setup? I've been talking with Kevin Waite (HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!) and he is connecting me with a man in Fla who is the 'guru' of electrical as Kevin put it... but still interested in any info about this I can get!

THANKS!

Larry

1994 40' Affinity #5074
C-10 Cat 10kw Power Tech
Peeling Clear and NO BEER!

Re: Inverter upgrade question on a 94 Gillig chassis coach

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 112114
I have no insights into your system.

I am still running the Heart Freedom 25 Inverter in the same front utility bay you describe.

I have two 300a Class T fuses between the batteries and the Inverter. One in the Utility compartment and one in the battery bay behind the rear axle.

All work fine with four Golf Cart batteries for the House, two 8D batteries for the chassis, and one battery for the 7.0 Powertech.

Hopefully, I do not have to make changes.

Been using it for 15+ years and 80,000 miles with no significant problems.

Dean

95 Magna 5280

Inverter upgrade question on a 94 Gillig chassis coach

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 112114
I have no insights into your system.

I am still running the Heart Freedom 25 Inverter in the same front utility bay you describe.

I have two 300a Class T fuses between the batteries and the Inverter. One in the Utility compartment and one in the battery bay behind the rear axle.

All work fine with four Golf Cart batteries for the House, two 8D batteries for the chassis, and one battery for the 7.0 Powertech.

Hopefully, I do not have to make changes.

Been using it for 15+ years and 80,000 miles with no significant problems.

Dean
95 Magna 5280

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 112116
Hi Dean,

Do you have your CC manuals? I'm curious if your 12v distribution panel is the same as mine?

I'll include my panel drawing for comparison. If its the same as mine, you have 100a more potentially running thru the same panel than what I'm setup for...

Thanks Dean!

Larry

1994 Affinity #5074
C-10 Cat 10kw Power Tech

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 112121
Larry, your panel schemetic looks very similar to mine. Laid out just a bit different but all the same components.