Skip to main content
Topic: 1998 Country Coach Intrigue Series Generator issue & location of block heater  (Read 1236 times) previous topic - next topic

1998 Country Coach Intrigue Series Generator issue & location of block heater

Good afternoon,

We recently purchased a1998 Country Coach Intrigue Series with a 325HP Diesel Cummings with a Diesel Generator.  The Coach is presently parked and plugged-in to a 30 amp service. We live in the Seattle area and our weather has dropped below freezing. We planned on taking a short trip this weekend and I went down and the main engine was slow to crank. I looked for the block heater to plug it in, but couldn't locate it. I then tried to start the generator and it cranked slowly and then just stopped. I checked the generator unit and tried to start it with the switch on the generator and nothing. no clicks, or anything. Fuses looked good and switched on face of the generator also looked correct. Is there a reset or breaker someplace?

The coach fired up once it warmed a little bit, generator is still dead. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John 

Re: 1998 Country Coach Intrigue Series Generator issue & location of block heater

Reply #1
Hi John,

Going to make an assumption that it's a Cummins 8.3, probably the ISC(?). Cold weather is hard on a few key components related to starting. First, oil will get a bit 'thicker' under cold temps. Second, batteries do loose performance in colder temperatures. So even a heathy battery, will have reduced output the colder it gets.

As you do not have an engine block heater to help in cold weather. Here is a tip that I was told by a former truck driver, now RV'er:

When first trying to start, in just cold - say above 20 degrees or so - go thru two full 'Wait to Start' cycles with the ignition key. (That wait to start, is doing a pre-heat (Glow Plugs is a term you've probably heard before.), this I believe is called 'grid heater' on 8.3 engines.) By going thru the first Wait to Start cycle; Turning the ignition off; Then immediately back on and going thru a 2nd cycle for the 'grid heater' to do it's thing - it's usually enough to get your engine to start when you engage the Starter.

If this does get you going, and you still have Shore Power available, you could try the Battery Boost process (Connecting House to Starter battery.), and again try the double 'wait to start' cycle, and onto the engagement of the starter...

If no luck. I'd connect Shore Power again to help replenish the house batteries and possibly BIRD over to the starter battery. And let things warm up a bit.

If not on house power, I'd personally (And have with my 04 ISL 8.9), start the Generator to get the Charger going... And the wait it out a bit...

I've been lucky the few times in cold weather. Both on Shore Power, and or Boon Docking. When in the mid 20's or below, I use the Engine Pre Heat loop from our HydroHot. Usually at that temperature, I've both the Diesel Burner and Electric Element on in the HydroHot. (If Boon Docking, via Generator running.) I've been able to start our engine down in the single digits, by doing the Wait to Start double cycle - then slowly warm things up before easing out to watch for ice on the roads:)!

I had a friend that used to need to go start a old truck with diesel, and in cold weather (Cleveland area.) - he used to open his hood the night before, and rape an old electric blanket over the top of the engine. Close the hood. He'd go out in the AM, remove the blanket, start his engine - and then go back and get his coffee for the drive to work... 

Best of luck to you...
Smitty
04 Allure 31017

04 Allure Sold to a nice new owner! Now enjoying a 07 Magna Rembrandt 45' ISX600 #6775
"We're ONDROAD for THEJRNY!" (Toad and Coach license plates, say Hi if you see us!)