Skip to main content
Topic: Power Steering groaning.... (Read 1174 times) previous topic - next topic

Power Steering groaning....

My power steering appears to be going bad. Lots of noise when I turn the wheel. Thought replacing old fluid with new might help, but it didn't.. Can anyone give me a part number or tell me where I can order a new pump? Thank You
2002 CC Magna
Mike

Re: Power Steering groaning....

Reply #1
Mike, my 2000 Magna uses the Sheppard M110PJW3R steering box.  When mine died I had to go to Sheppard and have them supply a rebuilt box.  There may be other places with rebuilt boxes but the repair place I used couldn't locate another source.  Sheppard won't rebuild until they get the money and it takes 5 days to rebuild a box and then it is shipped freight to you.  If you have to use Sheppard plan on being down for a minimum 8 to 10 days.
Pete
 2000 40'  Magna #5892  CAT C-10

Reply #2
Thanks for the information. Could you tell me about how much that cost, and who installed it for you?
Mike

Reply #3
The rebuilt box was about $1550 including freight but there is a $400 core refund when the old box is sent back to them.  I netted about $315 on the core since I had to pay the freight.  The box weighs about 90 pounds.  Labor, fluid, and miscellaneous parts was almost $1000.  I used Richard Parks Truck Repair in Dothan, AL.  They did a good job but it might have gone quicker if they had a pit or lift so they didn't have to lay on the floor to do the work.  My box was removed by cutting a part of the square tubing bracing the fiberglass front end and dropping the box out the bottom of the chassis.  They welded tabs on the cut piece of tubing and bolted it back in place so they wouldn't have to disconnect all the electronics in order to weld the piece back on.  Someone told me that their box was removed through the front run bay which would prevent cutting the square tubing.
Pete
 2000 40'  Magna #5892  CAT C-10

Reply #4
I replaced my steering gear box in my driveway, did not have to cut tubing, but it was a real pain laying on the ground.  I got my steering gear box from Weller Truck Parts, they had Reman part, they reman them in Michigan.  Weller Truck Locations | Weller Truck
Alex
'01 40' Magna #6022