Skip to main content
Topic: power steering fluid replacement--what kind???? (Read 1632 times) previous topic - next topic

power steering fluid replacement--what kind????

I have read it is not a good idea to use syntran in your power steering reservoir. I am going to try Sea Foam Transmission/power steering conditioner in mine and then replace the fluid. What is the current recommendation for the type of ATF to use? Have any of you used this Sea Foam product?

Re: power steering fluid replacement--what kind????

Reply #1
I looked at your profile but cannot see year or model of coach;  Most hydraulic systems in CC use Dexron III ATF., which also powers steering and side rad in my 2007 Allure.

I have not used any conditioners - why not just replace?.  While you are doing that, I suggest replacing the 3 filters (if you have a coach with the filters stacked).

Napa Gold filter 7317 is the filter I used.

Hope this helps,
Brian
2007 Country Coach Allure 37 Sunset Bay 400ISL

Reply #2
Thank you for your reply. I have a 2002 CC Magna. Where are the 3 filters located?
Mike

Reply #3
The filters are inside the fluid tank.  Remove the clamp around the top of the tank for access to the filters.
Dale Collier
05 Inspire 53477

Reply #4
Correct - my hydraulic cylinder is located in engine bay to the right.  Cylindrical tank with air vent and fill/level cap.  My fill cap simply pulls out - if you simply unscrew the top the dipstick unscrews from the cap and falls down into cylinder tank (ask me how I know this one).

I removed low point suction hose to pump to drain, and filled before replacing lid.

Hope this helps,
Brian
2007 Country Coach Allure 37 Sunset Bay 400ISL

Reply #5
Brian - What is the capacity?  I don't know when mine was last serviced or filters changed since I just bought the coach.  There is a sticker on the side that says every 6,000 miles.

Thanks,
Ed
2007 Allure McKenzie Bridge 31571
Jupiter, FL

Reply #6
Brian - What is the capacity?  I don't know when mine was last serviced or filters changed since I just bought the coach.  There is a sticker on the side that says every 6,000 miles.

Thanks,
Ed

I can't remember exactly how much it holds probably a gallon or so. Regardless of what the sticker says, there's no way it needs to be serviced every 6000 miles.

Reply #7
I

Thanks,
Ed

At one of the CC rallies in the "good old days" one of the techs said change only if the fluid is discolored or smells burnt (~50,000 or 100,000 miles). I believe the owner's manual says every 24,000 miles or 24 months.  My own policy is to pump out and replace as much fluid as possible every couple years (~15,000 miles) and replace the filters every other fluid service (~30,000 miles). My notes say ~10-12 quarts of Dexron III and three (3) Nelson (or Fleetguard) 84220A or Napa Gold 7317 filters. If you drain and flush the entire system you'd need to plan on a few more quart of fluid.
--
Tom -- 2002 Allure #30791
--
Tom Harsch -- 2002 36' Allure #30791

Reply #8
Could dirty filters cause my system to make lots of noise when turning?
Mike

Reply #9
Worth a try. Not expensive. I replaced the filters AND replaced the ATF with tractor hydraulic fluid. A bit more viscosity. Didn't see immediate improvement but over time the groan/noise almost gone.

Reply #10
Never use trans fluid in a power steering system!

I would use Swepco 729 if you want to flush the system then either their 715 fluid or as my CC repair shop ex CC employee says hydraulic fluid as stated above.

Swepco is the fluid PSC Motorsports recommends.

I'd use the Fleetguard filters or crossover to Donaldson.
2004 Magna 42' 3 slide Chalet CC#6315M
C-15, 515HP 1650tq.

Reply #11
Never use trans fluid in a power steering system!

I would use Swepco 729 if you want to flush the system then either their 715 fluid or as my CC repair shop ex CC employee says hydraulic fluid as stated above.

Swepco is the fluid PSC Motorsports recommends.

I'd use the Fleetguard filters or crossover to Donaldson.

I am curious about this.
What exactly, does the manual say?

I do not have access to the manuals right now, hence the question.
I was actually wondering about synthetic fluid in the P/S system.
^Bernie
2002 Intrigue 11346