Skip to main content
Topic: Headlight wiring diagram (Read 2268 times) previous topic - next topic

Headlight wiring diagram

I know this has been discussed before but in my searches I can't seem to find the info I'm looking for.  I have a 2000 Magna 36ft and I have the original manuals and I've looked through the electrical schematics but have not been able to locate the headlight circuit or anything showing the wire numbers and connections to the headlight switch.

Can anyone direct or tell me what page this would be on.  Or if you have a copy of the switch connections.

Thanks,
Bob
Bob Clouse
2005 42ft Magna #6382

Re: Headlight wiring diagram

Reply #1
Following! I am also in need of wire list for 2000 magna.

Reply #2

#    Ga/Color    From                      To
11   12 brn   Headlight switch   ICC PCB, park lights FRB, tail lights relay
34   16 yel   FRB ignition fuse   Shifter panels indicator lights, jake brake relay/light, voice processor, Headlight switch, GSD, mirrors
58   12 red   Hi/lo beam switch   High beam Headlights, dash high beam indicator
59   12 blk   Hi/lo beam switch   Low beam Headlights & ICC control board
61   10 red   FRB chassis CB   Headlight switch (pwr)
62   12 red   FRB chassis fuse   FRB transistors, & Headlight switch for dash lights
170   16 yel   Panel lights switch   Headlight switch
181   16 red   Headlight switch   FRB transistors, and gauge lights
196   12 red   Headlight switch   Dimmer switch, GPS, musical horns and voice processor

These are all I can find on my wire list
Pete
 2000 40'  Magna #5892  CAT C-10

Reply #3
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the number call outs.  I've started tracing the wires and have found that sometime in the coaches life the wiring for the headlights has been slightly altered.  It works but not as I would expect it to.  Maybe you could confirm for me how lights work in the following modes.

1. headlight switch off, and panel light switch on, does your outside front parking lights and front & rear overhead marker lights come on?  or only the interior panel lights come on?
2. headlight switch off, and the ICC switch actuated, does your low beam headlights come on as well as the front and rear upper marker lights?
3. headlight switch on, and ICC actuated, does your low beam headlights flash along with the marker lights or do they not flash?

There are a few diodes that have been changed so I think this my be my issue but I can't find a diagram showing which wires go to which headlight switch terminal.

Your assistance is always greatly appreciated,
Bob
Bob Clouse
2005 42ft Magna #6382

Reply #4
Here is how mine is working.
1.  Only panel lights come on
2.  Headlights flash with ICC
3.  Headlights do not flash

Note that the panel lights and, I believe, the gauge lights are powered by the three power transistors in the front run bay electrical box.  The variable input for the power transistors come from the headlight switch as the switch knob is rotated.
Pete

Reply #5
Pete,

On mine when the panel light switch is on the parking lights and marker lights come on and stay on as long as the panel light switch is turned on.  The ICC seems to be working correctly so I believe one of the 3 diodes on wire 34,11 & 170 are bad and allowing power to back feed into the parking light circuit.

Does your wiring schematics show the wire connections to the headlight switch or just the pink wire number sheets?  If your shows the connections to the switch, can you tell me what page it's on so I can look to see if I have the same page.  I've looked at mine over and over and can not find anything showing these connections.

Thanks Again,
Bob
Bob Clouse
2005 42ft Magna #6382

Reply #6
Bob, I don't have any schematic for the external lighting. 

Those diodes would have to be shorted and that is not the way diodes usually fail.  They fail by resulting in an open circuit.
Pete

Reply #7
Pete, that's right on the diodes, so I'm still baffles to why the current is getting back to the parking lights with panel light switch on.  I will have to do more tracing.  Does your coach have a fuse call out sheet in the front run fuse box?  I was kind of surprised CC didn't provide a fuse call out sheet in the wiring schematics for ease of finding circuits.

I was able to trace it out and now I know how it needs to be wired.  I believe they may have changed it when they installed a new switch several years ago according to the records.  I will still need to verify the tow circuit as they have bypassed the tow board for some reason and installed separate connection box so I'll dig into that next.

Many thanks,
Bob 

Bob Clouse
2005 42ft Magna #6382

Reply #8
Bob,
I may have an answer for you.  I replaced the headlight switch on my 2000 Magna a couple of years ago.  I used a switch from Autozone that appeared to be the same as the original installed switch.  The one difference was that two of the pins were connected with the metal piece shown in the attached pic.  I originally installed it with the pins connected and I believe I had the issue you are seeing.  I removed the connector with a pair of needle nose pliers, reinstalled the switch and it worked normally.

You might pull the switch from the panel and see if your switch has the pictured connector installed.  If so, remove it and see if that fixes the problem.  By the way I think I took the picture of the switch after I had removed the connector.

Hope this helps,

Dan
2000 40' Magna #5788
IMG_0615 (1).JPGIMG_0617 (1).JPGIMG_0616 (1).JPG
Dan Siedschlag
2000 Magna #5788

Reply #9
Dan, I think your spot on!  The new switch I installed was from Napa and it matched the one I took out to a "T" and the prior owner had records of the switch being replaced in 2013. 

I changed the switch because it would flicker at times and when I went to install the new one I took pictures of wire placement before I took the old one out.  What I found was they last switch was installed incorrectly and caused the headlight circuit to be overloaded which shortened it's life.

So this little connector bar is on my old switch as well as the new one so that's why my parking lights and marker lights come on when the panel light switch is turned on.

Thanks for the info, great help!
Bob Clouse
2005 42ft Magna #6382

Reply #10
Bob - Glad it helped.  After I changed mine out and had removed the post connector it occurred to me that I should take a couple of pics... for next time.  When you posted that your switch had been changed and you had extra lights on, it keyed a memory.  Hopefully an easy fix for a frustrating problem.

Dan
2000 Magna #5788
Dan Siedschlag
2000 Magna #5788

Reply #11
Dan,

I removed the connector bar and that worked, hurrah!  However I now have another issue.  The voice prompt "Headlights are on" does not announce when I turn the headlights on or actuate the ICC switch as it did before.  I'm guessing I have a blown fuss somewhere.  I've checked all the fusses in the FRB and all are good so now I need to dig deeper.
Any thoughts? 
Bob Clouse
2005 42ft Magna #6382

Reply #12
Bob,

My coach announces "Headlights On".  Looking at the schematics and "announcement" info (dated 9/94) it appears it is only set up to make the headlight announcement when the ignition is turned off.  Also I don't see anywhere that the ICC should result in an announcement and mine doesn't with the ignition on or off.  On my coach with the ignition off if I pull out the headlight switch I get an announcement.  When I turn on the ignition and pull out the headlight switch, no announcement.  It is wire 196 that sends the signal.  On my switch, wire 196 is connected to the right connector of the 2 connectors in the middle (looking at the picture of the switch I attached earlier).  It certainly is possible there were changes made between the manufacture of our coaches since yours appears to have been completed 118 coaches after mine.  Let me know if I can be any further help (or hinderance).

Dan
2000 40' Magna #5788
Dan Siedschlag
2000 Magna #5788

Reply #13
Dan,

Interesting, after going back out to the coach yesterday, the voice prompt works properly now, (as I see it anyway).  the way mine seems to be setup with wires #170, 34 & 11 connecting to the light switch with diodes in each wire end and wire #196 is connected to the terminal you mentioned.  When the ICC switch is activated #170 feeds power to light switch terminal just to the left of where #196 is connected so if power is applied to either #170, 34 or 11 the power gets to wire #196.  This happens with ignition on or off, which is okay with me.

Thanks,
Bob 
Bob Clouse
2005 42ft Magna #6382

Reply #14
Bob,

On my coach three lights will activate an announcement;  headlights, flood lights, and fog lights.  If any or all are on when the ignition is turned off a separate announcement is made for each that is on.  That makes logical sense to me as it is telling me that I have lights on with the ignition off helping to avoid running down the batteries.  I receive none of these announcements when the ignition is on which again makes sense to me since the engine would normally be running and the batteries wouldn't be an issue.  I don't really see a benefit of having an announcement when the ICC is activated since it is a momentary "on" switch and there is little to no danger of activating the switch and forgetting that you are holding it on for any extended period.  What am I missing?

Dan
2000 40' Magna #5788
Dan Siedschlag
2000 Magna #5788

Reply #15
Dan,
I totally agree with what your saying and what your coach does,it make sense to me.  However, mine must be getting power to the #196 wire from somewhere when it shouldn't.  The only logical place is from one of the 3 wires with the diodes #170, 11 & 34  I do know that someone has replaced one of the diodes with 2 smaller one's and I making an assumption that they couldn't get their hands on the right size at the time.  I have just received my order of these diode so I'm going to replace the 2 smaller ones with the proper sized one.  I originally checked them and they were fine but something is getting power that shouldn't.

Bob, 
Bob Clouse
2005 42ft Magna #6382

Reply #16
I also have 2000 Magna 36 that I cannot get the clearance lights or taillights to work. I bought and installed a new headlight switch and I tried removing the connector shown in the post above. Any suggestions?
2000 36' Magna

Reply #17
I used a razor knife.  After "cutting" several times close to each tab I was able to slip a screw driver under the connector and break it at the two "cuts"
Pete

Reply #18
I used a razor knife.  After "cutting" several times close to each tab I was able to slip a screw driver under the connector and break it at the two "cuts"
I got the connector off but still no lights, any suggestions?
2000 36' Magna

Reply #19
Woodted, I assume your other lights are working properly.  If you look at my wire list I posted you will note that wire #11  goes to a tail light relay.  You may have a problem with that relay.  I have no idea where the tail light relay is located.
Pete

Reply #20
I have a schematic of a 2000 Affinity that shows the headlight switch wiring and there is no relay from the headlight switch to the tail/marker lights.  So I guess my wire list is wrong. Not the first mistake I've found in my schematics.
Pete