Skip to main content
Topic: '07 CC Affinity Cummings 600ISX, Allison 4000, 12.5K Generator & Chassis service (Read 1218 times) previous topic - next topic

'07 CC Affinity Cummings 600ISX, Allison 4000, 12.5K Generator & Chassis service

I am needing a full service on the engine, transmission, generator and chassis to reset filters and fluids while in my ownership. If anyone has recently accomplished this in the NW and or elsewhere and can share the experience and costs that would be helpful.

Cummings in Coburn, Or quoted $1200 for a Cummings 600ISX annual service. $950 for the Allison 4000 service and $350 for the 12.5K and Air Dryer service for a total of approximately $3500. Is this in range of your experiences?
Regards,

Philip & Liz Z
USAF Ret. MSGT
2007 Affinity 700 Custom Alexander Valley 600 Cummings #6737

Re: '07 CC Affinity Cummings 600ISX, Allison 4000, 12.5K Generator & Chassis service

Reply #1
I should have noted the cost on my total service. Read the attachments for details. I attached the build sheets as well as the parts used on my coach in case you need the same info for your coach.

Total cost: $4700

Expensive yes. However this coach is new to me and we had to make a 1200 mile trip due to a death in the family immediately and so the total service at Premier RV was worth it. I now know those items have been checked and I can maintain them as needed in the future without worrying and not knowing when the last service was done by previous owners.

The only ? in my mind is the check engine light I received three times when climbing the Grapevine N of Los Angeles. Of course this coach is new to me and the characteristics of this engine are new too. Maybe I was in the wrong gear to start with and was pushing too hard as well. Each time I reduced the throttle and the light went away within seconds. I only have the VMS to show the code which was High EGR temp.

Per RAWZE (expert on these engines) the issues on CM870/871's are poor maintenance on the Emission related equipment which on my CM870 is only the EGR. Of course the later engines may also have DPF and or DEF. Most of the maintenance he recommends for the same engines in Class 8 (18 wheelers) with 100's of thousands of miles on them. Our engines due to low mileage and sitting for long periods of times and mainly the way we drive them for shorter stints and then they sit again exaggerate the problems. Class 8 users run them full-time and that is the way these engines like to be used. They then don't get the acid from EGR system deteriorating the valves but instead are burned off daily.

RAWZE recommends at much higher mileage like 200K or 400K:
Before any tuning you should do the "EGR tuneup" which on an CM870 consists of the following sensors...
1. boost pressure on intake manifold
2. intake temperature on intake manifold
3. exhaust pressure and tubing at T-Stat housing
4. EGR differential pressure and tubing behind the fuel lift pump

He posts videos on YouTube on how to service the CM870&871's although access on Class 8 is much easier than on an RV.

Not sure what the prices are for these sensors and or the labor costs to install them if done at a shop. However he recommends O/O or RV Owners to do self maintenance to prevent false diagnosis from shops throwing expensive parts like coolers and turbos to "fix" issues. If reasonable $$ than earlier tuneups like every 10-20K miles may prevent the acid buildup and issues.

These items were not looked at Premier RV and I will research them further to see what the costs and labor involved in changing them. If inexpensive and easy for DIY I can change them myself.
Regards,

Philip & Liz Z
USAF Ret. MSGT
2007 Affinity 700 Custom Alexander Valley 600 Cummings #6737

Re: '07 CC Affinity Cummings 600ISX, Allison 4000, 12.5K Generator & Chassis service

Reply #2
Hey Phillip - Enjoyed this slightly older post. And before I go on - Thank you for Serving!!

(I've been a bit sidetracked from more normal volume of forum readings and postings lately - and probably will be for another month or so:)!)

I know Cummins is expensive. But, I personally like knowing all of the parts being used for service, are all within spec for shelf life (Have seen too often, where shops use inferior and in some cases expired shelf life filters, when doing these kinds of services.) And of course Cummins Power Clubs gets you a bit of a discount. IMO, Coburg Cummins is one of the better Cummins shops. I've had their help on a few items over the years.

And a big YES to building into your maintenance budget timeline, the EGR Tune Up. I plan do do mine at 60K, and again at 120K, and at this time, I plan to have Coburg Cummins do the work.

Another tip I got from a few PM's, and I think RAWZE speaks to this some too, is to not be afraid to down shift and run the ISX600 at higher RPM's. So much Torque is available, that these engines can often chug along at very low RPM's for long periods of times. I've started the practice, when practical to do so, to towards the last 1/2 hour or so of a days travel, down shifting to keep the RPM's up higher. More fuel is burned, and I believe the input that a higher volume of air flow thru engine & EGR 'could' help keep the EGR's tube from 'dunking' up. I figure the higher RPM's costs me some at each fill up - but that is not a great expense. I also use OptiLube Summer Blend in each tank, and when I know I'll be climbing mountains, a dash more of additional Cetane (I say that with the 'vast' experience of still under 2K miles of highway travel since we bough this coach. But running South from Premier to AZ, I did treat ISX to a bit more Cetane, in addition to the OptiLube, which has some Cetane in it also...). Our CM870 engines, were designed to run on Type II ULSD fuels, so OptiLube is not really required for added lubricity, as it was for my CAPS era ISL. But don't think it hurts anything, and is cheap insurance, and is what I've done for 10 years before... The added Cetane, should hopefully, allow for the maximum fuel burn at combustion, and hopefully less 'gunky' exhaust flow thru into the EGR. (Or thus the input I received speculated.) Again, not a major cost in the scheme of things, and if it helps keep the EGR tube and other related components a bit cleaner - that can not be a bad thing. If it does not, again, not a major cost!. I also go out of my way to stay away from Ethanol High Percentage ULSD, whenever possible. 5%? OK, not too bad. But when 20% Ethanol is in the mix - you get less overall combustion/power per gallon. And if I'm not able to burn a tank of higher percentage Ethanol before parking for extended periods, I always add Biobor JF to help control moisture...

As our 07 Magna had about 36K Miles on it when we bought it, and the bulk of that by the 1 st of three owners. That means from about 2013 to last year in 2020 when we bought it - the last two owners did not put on a great deal of miles. Inside stored from what I could tell, which helps... But, better to be running these machines, then sitting:)! So, want to learn our coach, and that is why I'm thinking the EGR Tune Up at about 60K is a good investment. I'll then have a solid EGR baseline to run with, and maintain.
I know Tommy Townsend has over 200K on his CM870 ISX600, and runs the heck out of it. And knock on wood, has not had EGR related issues. So that is a comfort to have heard:)!

Enough rambling, and best to you and all,
Smitty
07 Magna CM870 ISX600 - 6755
04 Allure Sold to a nice new owner! Now enjoying a 07 Magna Rembrandt 45' ISX600 #6775
"We're ONDROAD for THEJRNY!" (Toad and Coach license plates, say Hi if you see us!)