Skip to main content
Topic: Muffler (Read 922 times) previous topic - next topic

Muffler

Yahoo Message Number: 48483
I am a new owner of an 42' Intrigue with a 525 Cat engine. Bought the coach in Texas brought home to California discovered a hole in Muffler took to a Country Coach repair shop and they said I needed to replace the muffler and would cost $5,500 plus labor. Could this be right? a muffler costing $5,500? Does anybody have any suggestions or is that the norm. Thanks for any advice, Bryan

Re: Muffler

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 48489
Hi Bryan,

If your coach was made after Jan 2007 with the new 2007 engine, the muffler? is now equipped with the new particle filter apparatus that is required for the then new cafe' standards our federal government has imposed. One of those expensive gizmo's.

At Red Bluff RV Park,

Chuck & Mary B

Shelby Dog, Miss Kitty, Mr Lucky Cat

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 48490
Take the coach to a truck repair shop and let them take a look. I certainly don't know all the facts but it would seem a repair could be done without replacing the entire muffler.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 48656
Bryan, if your coach is one with the "new" emissions stuff on it, I would find out if the muffler is considered part of the emissions. If so, I think there is a federal requirement that the system be warranted for 50K miles before failure.
I would consider putting a steel band around the hole and secure it with some type of clamping device.
If you are in SoCA and are near Colton, I suggest a call to Colton Truck Terminal and talk to Steve. He is one sharp guy, a grump but still a sharp guy.

Ain't no way a new muffler should cost that much.
If worse comes to worse, you can always cut out the muffler and install a straight pipe. There isn't that much difference in noise levels until you romp on it.

Don

'02 Intrigue #11427
'02 Intrigue #11427

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 48663
Bryan,

I have a custom muffler manufacture phone number. Unable to put my hands on it at this moment, in my files. One repair would be to remove and forward to them for repair. Then all things will stay the same. Contact me direct if you need. Exhaust is there business, that's what they do, wet and dry systems.
Al

00 affinity #5851

Download the AOL Classifieds Toolbar for local deals at your fingertips.