Skip to main content
Topic: Midnight Repair at DeWalt (Read 1378 times) previous topic - next topic

Midnight Repair at DeWalt

Yahoo Message Number: 563
Often we read about the disappointing service experiences of our fellow motorhomers. I am happy to have something positive to report.

I needed an awning spring replaced and contacted DeWalt's RV just outside of Easton, PA (near NJ border). DeWalt has extensive service facilities on the premises. They are also a dealer in Coachman motorhomes and trailers. Because I work full time, I needed an off- hours service appointment and got one for 8:30 PM last Wednesday night.

On my way to the service center, I noticed that I had lost all light with the exception of the front lights. Taillights, markers and license plate light were dark.

Upon arrival, I told the service writer, a nice lady with the name Conny, of my additional problem. She called Brian, the technician assigned to my coach, who addressed the light problem first since it is more important than the awning problem. Brian is a friendly and knowledgable man with a sense of humor. It was a pleasure to kid around with him and he willingly answered all of my questions in terms that I could understand as a layman.

After some searching, we found the lightbulb in the license plate socket had gotten so hot that it fused to the socket and shortened the system. Next, he replaced the broken spring.

When we thought we were ready to leave at just a little past midnight, I noticed an alarm came on as soon as I put the coach in gear. It sounded like a slow version of the low-air-pressure alarm.
He fixed that problem within a few minutes.

I asked Brian if we were past his usual worktime and he said something to the effect that he and his colleagues work until a problem is fixed and the customer can safely go back onto the road.

Conny was still in the office when I went in to sign the papers at about 1:15 in the morning. The awning repair was covered under warranty. Since DeWalt is an authorized Colorado dealer, they offered to process all the paperwork for me so that neither I nor Monaco who manufactured my coach had to get involved. The invoice for the electrical repair came to about $220 which I paid.

The drive back home went without incident.
On Thursday, I called Monaco about the electrical invoice and got my authorization code. I will send in my invoice and will be reimbursed for my expense.

In summary, I am most impressed with the service at DeWalt and recommend the facility to anyone in need of repairs after hours.

Regards,
Jeff