Skip to main content
Topic: Cummins 600hp Engine (Read 753 times) previous topic - next topic

Cummins 600hp Engine

Yahoo Message Number: 25667
We are considering trading for a magna with the Cummins 600hp engine.
Does anyone have experience with this engine? Thanks

Craig & Sandy Bowman
2003 Magna 6270

Re: Cummins 600hp Engine

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 25668
A Cummins NW member shared this information with us this week..........

Stocks of existing 2006 engines will probably last until February of next year, after that they will be the new 2007 engines for use on ULSD fuel. Unfortunately I didn't think to ask if the stock included the 600 ISX.

The new fuel is backward compatible so no worries there for existing engines but maybe some minor loss of MPG. (No idea what they consider minor!).

New 2007 engines will not be compatible with the old fuel. With Federal mandates the new ULSD fuel should be universally available but if I had a new engine I would be reading the warning labels and shopping at big truck stores for the first few months just in case.

Here is the kicker. The first 2007 ISX is coming to CC in about two weeks as a prototype so that CC and Cummins can complete the design of the cooling system and run trials. Most likely a lot of design work has already been completed but with only a little over three months between now and February 2007 it doesn't leave a lot of time for extensive trials and engineering changes IMHO.

Heat is the big enemy and with our (motor home) application cooling is a top priority so I hope they get it right the first time.

I do not know the status of the replacement engine for the 400 ISL. My understanding is it will go to 425 but do not know if CC already has a prototype in hand.

Did I mention the price will rise up! I doubt CC will absorb the increase costs in manufacturing.

The forgoing comments are based on my understanding of the present situation.

Deciding what to do is going to be tough and fortunately a decision I do not have to make for a couple of years!

I have absolutely no idea what the situation is with CAT engines.

Good luck. David

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 25697
We P/U our 2007 Magna on July 10th at the factory. We opted for the 600 Cummins because of my previous experience with our 400 Cummins. We love the motor and put 6,000 miles on it this summerand it worked flawlessly and did not use a drop of oil. We averaged 6.0 mpg out West and 6.5 mpg as we headed into Oklahoma and Texas.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 25700
Just think of the mileage you would of got , if you had come to Kansas !