Skip to main content
Topic: Surviving a Head-on RV Crash (Read 771 times) previous topic - next topic

Surviving a Head-on RV Crash

Yahoo Message Number: 26771
Fellow CC Owners

First off thanks to Fred Kovol for his posting of the link to HARD DATA on RV crashes. It's the first such data I've seen, and is most helpful.

I'm one of those unfortunate souls who've had the personal experience of a head-on RV crash in an rv.
Much of what has been said here-on is congruent with my experience: e.g. the importance of a seat belt, the fact that there are relatively few protective structures in the front of the coach etc. Let me summarize my experience.

At the time of the event, I owned and operated a 36 ft Hawkins diesel pusher on a Gillig chassis; a well built and well maintained RV. On the previous day I noticed that something "felt a little funny about the brakes" and delayed a planned trip in order to take the coach to the shop. On the way to the shop, early in the morning, I was exiting a subsurface freeway on a climbing offramp to surface level. The offramp terminated in a stoplight (which was "red"for me) at a busy cross street, during the morning rush hour. I applied my brakes and they failed completely. I had an approximate 30 ft drop off on my immediate left, and a very slippery surface under the wheels:and to this day I don't know whether using the "emergency stop" would have resulted in a straight ahead skid, stopping the rig short of the heavily trafficed intersection; and/or broken to the left dumping the rig in the middle of a busy freeway

As a pilot I had been trained that when faced with an inevitable crash steer into the nearest fixed object. Fortunately that nearest fixed object was a heavily loaded semi stopped in the right lane ahead of me. I knew that I wouldn't seriouly injure the driver, so I steered into the left rear of the trailer. The speedomoter showed 45mph at the time of the crash.

No one sustained more than minor injuries, and my vehicle stopped well short of the busy intersection.

I was wearing a lap belt only, which kept me stationary: and, aside from a few bruises etc.
(primarily from flying objects), I was intact. The semi driver also sustained only minor injuries (from being bounced into the front of his cab).

The impact sheared an approximate 3 ft X 14 ft panel top to bottom from the coach, including the right front wheel and part of the axle. The coach was totaled. And, true to the theory of "controlled crashes", serious damage was limited to the involved vehicles.

I learned from this: 1) I should have taken the additional time to have had the vehicle TOWED to the service facility rather than driving it there:. 2) given the greater space of an RV "cockpit" a shoulder restraint in addition to the lap belt probably would not of helped much; and probably would have hindered my ducking the front-end mounted tv set that was trying to fly out the rear end of the coach. 3) It's critical that the seat, no matter its make/model be well anchored. And (4) as the aircraft attendants frequently say, "The most dangerous part of your trip is driving home": so always be certain that your seat belt (NO MATTER MAKE AND MODEL) is always fastened even if you're only motoring to the corner deli.

rhw Intrigue 10861

All best rog

Re: Surviving a Head-on RV Crash

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 26772
As a pilot I had been trained that when faced with >an inevitable crash steer into the nearest fixed >object. Fortunately that nearest fixed object was a >heavily loaded semi stopped in the right lane ahead of >me. I knew that I wouldn't seriouly injure the driver, >so I steered into the left rear of the trailer. The >speedomoter showed 45mph at the time of the crash.
I'm curious, is this military training? I have 7000+hrs private and with American Eagle(ATP type) and don't recall anyone ever recommending this to me. It does sound reasonable though given the situation and the good outcome.

Tom Fisher
Dallas, TX

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 26796
I have a law enforcement background and our training tells us to stay clear of other persons, that being we know we are going to wreak. On injury accident trials the very important question is 'what did you do to avoid injury to yourself and others? What is the last thing you did to "avoid the wreak" and you say "take on the truck trailer at 45 mph" and by your own admission you had other choices.
I find it very disturbing that due to your carelessness you took on a truck with a occupant. Is this a example of pilot training ? good judgement ? I just shake my head reading your story on this accident.
AL

00 affinity #5851

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 26799
Reply to boateral

Appareently your "law enforcement background" didn't teach you to read carefully and/or know all the facts before forming an opinion. As my posting stated, given that a crash of some kind appeared inevitable, I had 3 alternative choices: A) Risk crashing into 4 lanes of heavy cross traffic; B)rolling down a 30 foot embankment into rush hour freeway traffic; or C) a controlled crash into the rear end of a heavily loaded semi---where I knew personal injuries would be minimal.

I don't know what choice you would have made given the available options I perceived. Perhaps you might have found other options. But then you weren't there, and didn't have to make the choice. Hence your opinion is indeed both gratuitous and uninformed. Your opinion notwithstanding, my choice resulted in minimal personal injury and equipment damage in a situation where there could have been substantial loss of life and major equipment damage to more than just the rear end of a heavily loaded trailer and my rv. I stand by my choice; and if your "law enforcement background" involved insurance litigation, you'll be delighted to know that my insurance company (which did know the facts) was delighted with MY choice---because they recognized their potential for increased liability had I opted for either option A or B as outlined above.

Finally I note that my posting was really about the importance of driver restraint; and why, in an rv, shoulder restraints may not be as significant as they are in more constricted spaces. Was your personal opinion about my driving choices really relevant thereto?

rhw Intrigue 10861

All best rog

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 26804
Oh yes, I did read your message and here's the part that's pretty clear..., your story of the events. I don't know all the facts because I wasn't there. But your message states that you knew the brakes were "felt a little funny" your statement. I wonder what that means. Of course, you did tell the insurance company and the police at the scene of the accident your brakes "felt a little funny" but you decided to drive it anyway. That must be where the "pilot training" came into the accident. Flying Class 101.... fly even if plane unsafe to operate.
AL

00 affinity #5851