Skip to main content
Topic: Accident in my New 06 Inspire (Read 712 times) previous topic - next topic

Accident in my New 06 Inspire

Yahoo Message Number: 26848
This afternoon, southbound I-17, 2 miles north of 101, I'm in the right lane with A LOT of traffic, maybe 45 - 50 mph, when a PT Cruiser comes off of an on ramp, must have accelerated and did not see me. His car hits my right front, and turns his whole car in front of my coach and it sits there, while I try to bring the coach and t-boned cruiser to a safe and controlled stop. After what seemed like an interminable amount of time, I got the two of us stopped. Gratefully, no injuries whatsoever, as he hit me while going about my speed, there was absolutely no jolt at all.
Severe cosmetic damage to the front of my coach well below the windshield, both headlights, fog lamps and the air supply system were damaged. However, NO (at least that what I think now) damage to anything in the suspension or front end of the coach. After repairing a broken air valve, I was able to drive the coach to Desert West RV in PHX where it now sits awaiting repairs. (I called Beaudry, the CC dealership in PHX, and they refused to even take the coach saying they were backlogged. May be serindipitous as Desert West is the PHX area Prevost dealership and they actually had two other CCs in their shop for repair.
Lessons-learned?: On this trip I purposely drove about 65 mph, one to save on fuel coasts, but also to take a little more time and not be so rushed. The traffic at the time of the accident (the other driver was declared the cause of the accident on the AZ DPS accident report form for failure to yield) was extremely heavy and in a 65 mph zone, traffic was moving probably 45 - 50 mph. I actually never saw the other vehicle until he hit me. I never saw him coming down the on ramp (though there was no way I could have moved over as there was so much traffic). I can only surmise that he just accelerated and for whatever reason never saw me at all (kind of scary given how big these coaches are!) In any case, no injuries and no apparent damage to my coach that a good body shop can't fix. I'm not even going to think about depreciated value to the caoch at this time - there's nothing I can do about it anyway.
Harry

2006 Inspire 51933

PS: I even asked the Desert West RV folks to fix my tranny temp gauge - maybe I can get that done!

Re: Accident in my New 06 Inspire

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 26849
You are in good hands, at least in my opinion/experience. Desert West repaired my front end damage very successfully. I had front end damage that came from hitting a wheel dead center. A wheel had come off a merging cart behind a car in MO on Memorial Day, bounced across our lanes, over the center divider, hit by a car coming the other direction and thrown right back in front of me in the heavy holiday traffic. When we brought the coach home after being in Indiana for a month due to my father's death, the folks at Desert West did a great job. The paint match is absolutely perfect and they kept it a little while longer before they did the paint just to make sure they were happy with the body repair.
Having purchased my coach at Beaudry, just in my opinion and experience, you will be happy they were "too busy". The folks at Desert West are really nice people who care.

Marge Conway

Scottsdale, Arizona
2005 Inspire 330 #51293

poolsidetoys@... www.poolsidetoys.com (updated 11/05/06)

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 26851
Glad you are all ok. Scarry. Both hubby and I drive and when sitting in the co-pilot seat, that scenario scares the "you know what" out of me. Seems so many can't possibly be inconvenienced to be behind a MH. We've come close many times, but luckily so far no one has kissed our bumper.
We know the area well, our son lives just east of I-17 and 101 and we'll be there this weekend. Headed to a park in El Mirage from Lake Havasu today for the winter.

Sue

05, 42' CC Allure quad slide #31254 See where we are---

http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=3792

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 26853
We travel with our '06 Inspire up I-17 a lot, ducking and weaving all the time. It's madness with New River being so built up. So sorry about the shunt . . . and the best with Desert RV. Please let me know how it goes, I have been looking for an alternative to Beaudry for a long time . . .
By the by, we do hold it to about 65-68 now since that seems to be the "sweet spot" for the coach for noise and control. It is a challenge sometimes with the speed limit at 75 . . .

Lon

'06 Inspire

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 26855
Harry -

So very sorry to hear of your ouchie on your new coach. We are currently in Phoenix at Desert Shadows RV Park, which is right where I-17 and the 101 meet (behind the Costco and the Deer Valley shopping center).
We we will be here until next Wednesday or Thursday and if there is anything we can do to help you out, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kathy Marsh

2000 CC Allure #30536

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 26856
Thanx, Lon, for your thoughts. Re: 65-68, I agree. When I picked up the coach I averaged probably closer to 70 - 72 on the drive home. Coach drove fine, but I just felt it was a little fast for me. I agree, 65 seems to be a nice ride with low noise. Those big semis blowing by at 80 are quite the experience though!

Harry

06 Inspire 51933

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 26858
Harry, you do have recourse for the lost value of your coach. The insurance companies call it " diminished value ". Speak to your insurance about ir. Also I use Desert West and they are first class.

Adriane Stoller
Allure 2005
cc31157