Skip to main content
Topic: Steering Noise (Read 931 times) previous topic - next topic

Steering Noise

Yahoo Message Number: 28284
I have been looking at a 2002 Magna with a 56 degree turning radius. The turning is great but it makes a lot of noise in the steering column. When this was brought up, the service rep claims it is air bags that allow the turning radius, and there is nothing that can be done for the noise. Is this normal, and/or does anyone else have this situation?

Re: Steering Noise

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 28285
Re: [Country-Coach-Owners] Steering Noise In our SOB we always heard a noise and were told it was the power steering pump. It always made noise and worked just fine. Hope your noise isn't something major.

--
Sue,

'05, 42', Quad Slide Allure 31254 See where we are---

http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=3792

Steering Noise

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 28287
I have an '01 Magna with probably the same front end and steering box as the one you tested. I do not have any noise......there should not be any noise.

Fred Sage '01 Magna # 5983

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 28291
The only noise I ever heard was in the final 60 deg of rotation either way, and it was a muted rushing sound. My Intrigue will make a squealing sound during very hot weather if I let the rpms drop below 700 rpm on the engine. So I set idle at 725 appox.
TWI 2004 Intrigue 11731. Make sure the Hydraulic fluid reservoir is full, and has the right dip stick. Mine was to long!

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 28292
We have a 2001 Magna purchased in 02 with 14K miles when delivered and it has always had a small swishing noise at the end of steering travel/ left and right. Was told it was pressure relief valve. No noise during normal steering control.

Paul Dark
01 Magna 5946

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 28334
We have a 2000 Magna. Ours has Independent Front Suspension. I believe 2000 was the first year for CC to offer IFS, and the steering on our coach is probably the same as on the one you tested (I.e. 56 degree turning radius etc.)

Our steering is quiet during most of the range, but towards the outer lilimits there is a noise which sounds like fluids cavitating through a small orfice. It appears to be related to the power steering pump assembly. As far as I can determine, that sound is quite normal.

Thanks
-skip-

2000 Magna 5778
1967 Healey

>

I have been looking at a 2002 Magna with a 56 degree turning
radius. The turning is great but it makes a lot of noise in the steering column. When this was brought up, the service rep claims it is air bags that allow the turning radius, and there is nothing that can be done for the noise. Is this normal, and/or does anyone else have this situation?

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 28337
As you describe is exactly the way my 2000 Affinity turns, also with IFS. Been that way from day one.
Al

00 Affinity #5851 (rides on Michelin and buys ice)