Skip to main content
Topic: Windshield Crack and Big Dollars (Read 1074 times) previous topic - next topic

Windshield Crack and Big Dollars

Yahoo Message Number: 28605
I agree with you on the 2 piece windshield item . It is beyond me why coaches must have a full windshield. This necessary item is the receiving end for any object. The cost has been increased 4 to 6 times for replacement. Don't you think there must be some reason for all the mfg to install full windshields. You have taken a relative not to big of a cost replacement (2 piece) to a jaw dropping replacement expense. I hear that full windshields are in the range of $2 thru 3.000.00 dollars. Does anyone have what the labor is for replacement? Windshields at some time will have to be replaced on every coach.
AL

00 affinity #5851

Re: Windshield Crack and Big Dollars

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 28607
Al, how could it look like a Monaco if it had a split windshield.....even the new logo is a Monaco knockoff. Not like the old days when CCs had their own unique look.

Max

98 Affinity #5487
Gillig Chassis w C12

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 28608
You are right...I never put it together that way. Sounds like some employee jumped ship and probably had a new idea to make him part of the team. Somewhere along the line the glass Mfg. are the real money winners on the big bucks windshields.
AL

00 affinity #5851

(rides on Michelin and buys ice)

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 28609
We had a rock bust ours last year. At that time, we were near Salt Lake City and were told by CC that we needed to come to OR or to Beaudry to get it replaced. Being a glue in flush mount was the problem and they were the only people who were trained to do the job. Now I know better!!!! The job was poor after driving to Tucson and really completed by an outside vendor. What happened to rubber gaskets and two piece units. Talked to a guy with a 90's Prevost and his replacement was $197.00 per side with a rubber gasket. Ours was $2800.00. Doesn't make one bit of sense does it ??????? Doesn't even look that much better. I'm done Ned Herrmann 2006 Inspire 51677.
Quote from: maxmlkman@\.\.\.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 28610
Wait until the refrigerator or some large needs replacing....out comes the window. At least on my old one the right half comes out. These people are making it harder and harder to buy a motorhome...been looking at Blue Bird and Foretravel....same thing.....all look alike....same dumb windshield. Urathane set windows are also more like suffer from stress (cracks) than rubber mounted.

Max

98 Affinity #5487

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 28613
My buddy with American Tradition 40 w/ quad slide. Stress crack on windshield, said it happened when coach went over a bump at 60 mph. Nothing was in front of him. Factory says under warranty and have had some problems with the weight of windshield shifting.
AL

00 affinity #5851

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 28615
Under the fancy trim on the inside of the windshield, is a steel member that helps stabilize the the front cap. When I had a Beaver Marquis, years ago, I went through a lot of windshield problems. Cracking, shifting and then leaking. I was very proactive with the windshield guy at the factory. We spent so much time together we are still friends. A few pieces of fiberglass and finally a building up of the front cap in places and I had the only one that didn't leak, crack or shift. The molds for the caps do wear in time...and I am not sure they are real exact anyway.

Max

98 Affinity #5487