Skip to main content
Topic: Batteries (Read 2126 times) previous topic - next topic

Batteries

Yahoo Message Number: 216
Hi Jim, thanks for the info. I was away on a trip since I picked it up at > Risco RV and the batteries have been reading properly finally. Upon > unplugging I am getting a 100% reading which I have never had before. They > went over the parameters with Invertrix again, and maybe this time they were > entered in the right order. Or, the solar panels are helping resolve the > issue.
I still haven't resolved the pack brake though, I"ve placed two calls to find out who can fix this in NJ and haven't had a reply. Have you any idea where I can go? Can I go to any truck repair shop? Tonight on the way home, I was in bumper to bumper traffic for about an hour and I sure missed that brake. I need to get it repaired.

Thanks again.
John

Re: Batteries

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 218
Quote from: Panzenhagen
r />]
Hi John,

Regarding your Pac Brake, I would suggest you check with Cummins. Go to their web site, www.cummins.com and look for the nearest service center to you. I take my coach there for service. The one I go to has hookups for RV's. Hope this helps.
Dave

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 220
Thanks Dave, I didn't think that it would be a Cummins item. That would make it a lot easier as we have a big Cummins plant in Newark. I'll give them a call tomorrow to see if they handle that.

John

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 235
Hi, ya'll

Permit me to say a few things about the current Invertrix problems plaguing coaches they're installed in.
First, the problem may NOT be with the Invertrix inverter/charger at all. It is most likely in the RELATIONSHIP between the Invertrix AND the batteries.

As I see it, the Invertrix charging system probably works well, IF it is programmed to supply the CORRECT voltages during its charge cycle. As with ANY charging system there is an optimal charging voltage for Bulk, Absorb, and float. I think those optimal voltage levels have not been programmed into the charger. Remember MOST charger manufacturers ship their chargers for a very generic charge.
If one thinks about the absolute magical chemical properties of a battery, and the huge differences between even different brands of wet-cell batteries, there is no way a charger can charge every battery well, with generic settings.
Second, before one can diffinetively say the charger is not functioning properly, one must begin with known charged batteries, drain those batteries, and then attempt to recharge the batteries.
Once the recharge has taken place, the final test is performed. Did the batteries charge to at least the level at which they started? To know this, one should perform a specific gravity test on each cell in each battery. One should also perform an OCV (open circuit voltage) test. These two tests give a reasonably accurate indication of the charge of a battery. However, one must keep in mind that barametric pressure, temperature, the number of cycles performed on the battery, and many other issues can skew test results.
I'm guessing the problem batteries have not gone through an equalization process to desulfate the batteries, and I would also guess the batteries are not being fully charged. This, to some degree, is the chargers fault. However, if one had a different type of battery in the coach, those batteries will probably charge just fine. So, to some degree, the batteries are at fault. Which is to say, the problem is most likely with the relationship between the batteries and the charger.

May I suggest someone with this problem contacting the battery and charger manufacturer. Maybe they are aware of a problem and can suggest a solution in the form of different charge parameters for the charger.

I would venture to guess even the 'other' brand of inverter/charger (like what's installed on my coach) has the exact same problem w/ charging some wet-cell batteries. I had to 'tweek'with some settings on my charger to get a better charge because the defaults just weren't working.

Sorry, I can't offer any real solutions. I hope this can at least point someone in the right direction to getting their problem fixed.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 236
Thanks for the info you had about batteries and their relationship to chargers, etc. We had our Invertrix reprogrammed 2 weeks ago with new parameters that Invertrix gave CC, so I'm hoping that that will help with the problem we had. We haven't been in the coach more than a weekend since then, but all seemed well, so perhaps it is very much what you said about the settings needing to be maximized for your battery-charger system. Sounds right to me....Jan

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 246
Re: John Panzenhagen's 4/20 message about PacBrake

Regarding the PacBrake - we've had quite a problem. After about 14,000 miles the brake stuck in the closed position almost every time. When this happens there is no power and the exhaust belches black smoke by the ton. I went to Cummins thinking it was an engine item. It isn't. They cleaned the PacBrake and it seemed to work.
When the service center tried to get paid by warranty they learned it is not a Cummins item. From PacBrake they learned there was a new actuator that routed air pressure to open as well as close the valve.
Even with this fix problems continued. About every 1,000 miles I had to get to a service center to get the acutator cleaned or replaced.
One RV service center even replaced the PacBrake (PackBrake paid $300 of the $700 cost.) Each actuator replacement or cleaning was $100 to $175. I learned how to do it myself and found I could do it in about an hour.

Last year we were heading north and decided to stop at Cummins Northwest in Coburg. I wanted to buy a spare actuator so I would always have a clean one ready to install. I learned they no longer stocked PacBrake parts. Instead Cummins had their own exhaust brake. I think it's made by Jacobs. It comes with a three year Cummins warranty and that sold me. The cost was $600 plus a couple hundred for an exhaust pipe modification due to the CC installation.

This Cummins brake is many times better than the PacBrake. It provides the same or better braking action. BUT it does not snap on and snap off. It eases on and off. My wife really appreciates the smoother ride, since she is no longer thrown forward and back in her seat. In fact, she oftens asks if it is operating since there is little or no jerking when engaging or releasing at highway speeds.

After spending $2,000 plus trying to get the PacBrake to work I consider this to be money well spent and would do it again in a heartbeat. I also recommend it to everyone.

By the way CC was no help in this matter - they deferred to PacBrake. One timewhile in Junction City for a warranty repair I experienced the PacBrake problem. They started to repair it. But when they came to me saying they were having problems and wanted to replace a $400 part I called them up short explaining again what had just had done. They scheduled me to Cummins at Coburg. Cummins found CC had replaced the dual acting actuator with the old model single acting actuator. Using the right actuator solved my problem with no further cost. (I guess CC picked up the Cummins tab since I was never billed for that one.)

Jim Kruthers