Skip to main content
Topic: Acura MDX Four down towing (Read 1961 times) previous topic - next topic

Acura MDX Four down towing

Yahoo Message Number: 30933
Hello:

We are considering a late model Acura MDX. Perhaps an '05 or '06. We have done our research and understand that after towing for eight hours you must stop and place the transmission in each gear with the motor running. That is not a big deal for us as we typically are not driviing more than 6-7 hours. You can then proceed towing after doing this.
Are there any other tips that someone may have such as what position to leave the key in before departing? Any other concerns?

Thanks,
Rick

'07 Magna #6716

Re: Acura MDX Four down towing

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 30937
Rick,

We tow an 05 Accura and think you are making a good selection.
One thing to prepare for: The battary will loose it's charge even if you pull fuse #9 as recommended.
The Solution: Install a "Toad Charge" that delivers about 5 amps of charge from your Magna to the Accura.
Here is the website if you want more info. http://www.lslproducts.com/ToadChargePage.html
Russ and Jean
05 Intrigue

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 30939
We tow a 2003 Acura MDX and Acura and for our model Honda?Acura says to turn off radio/CD and AC and then leave the key in accessory position the most counterclockwise position). They also say not to tow over 65 mph. I had some transmission problems that I think were unrelated to towing but can't be 100% sure so I typically warm up the transmission about every 4 or 5 hours on a long haul just as an added precaution. I would go the Acura route again. I think 2006 is the last year that Acura recommends towing the MDX.
Paul

2003 Intrigue

Quote from: Russ Glines
>

Rick,

We tow an 05 Accura and think you are making a good selection.
> One thing to prepare for: The battary will loose it's charge even if

you

pull fuse #9 as recommended.
> The Solution: Install a "Toad Charge" that delivers about 5 amps of > charge from your Magna to the Accura.

Here is the website if you want more info.
http://www.lslproducts.com/ToadChargePage.html >

Russ and Jean

05 Intrigue

_____
> From: Rick Pedigo [mailto:Country-Coach-Owners@yahoogroups.com] On > Behalf Of Rick Pedigo

Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2007 6:59 AM > To: Country-Coach-Owners@yahoogroups.com > Subject: RE: [Country-Coach-Owners] Re: Acura MDX Four down towing >

Hello:

We are considering a late model Acura MDX. Perhaps an '05 or > '06. We have done our research and understand that after towing for > eight hours you must stop and place the transmission in each gear with > the motor running. That is not a big deal for us as we typically are

not

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 30953
The MDX is a great car for towing but there is one other step to follow if you have a navigation system. There is a fuse that you must pull; the dealer can help you identify which one. Not doing so will run down your battery. Surprisingly, the manual of my 05 did not mention this small detail. I discovered it the hard way.

Dave

04 Intrigue 11775

_____

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 30968
We've towed our '05 MDX over 15,000 miles without any issues. We've never experienced a low battery if we removed fuse #9. In preparing for our Alaska trip this summer I came across a device that looks great - it hasn't arrived yet for me to test it: RV Parts Plus (www.rv-partsplus.com) sells a "Fuseswitch" in whatever amperage you want (15 amp for the MDX) for $32. Replace the fuse with this device and you just flip the switch to open the circuit.
The MDX is a great car in its own right and tows like a dream.

Bill & Kathleen
'05 Inspire 51395

Quote from: Rick Pedigo
Hello:

We are considering a late model Acura MDX. Perhaps an '05
or '06. We have done our research and understand that after towing for eight hours you must stop and place the transmission in each gear with the motor running. That is not a big deal for us as we typically are not driviing more than 6-7 hours. You can then proceed towing after doing this.

>

Are there any other tips that someone may have such as what
position to leave the key in before departing? Any other concerns?

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 31053
Our 2002 MDX has worked perfectly for us. We have towed it flat for more than 40,000 miles and have had no problems except the operator error I shall describe below.

First the procedure: I hook up the MDX, start the engine, run through all the gears and stop in Neutral, and let the engine idle for 3 minutes using a timer on my wristwatch. While idling, I check to make sure that (top to bottom) the 1)climate control is off, 2) the Nav system is off, 3)the radio is off, and (since I also use a DC powered transmitter for XM "Roady"nradio plugged in to the cigarette liter outlet in the console) 4) the console DC outlet is unplugged. Notice I don't pull any fuses at all--just turn off any source of power drain.

At the end of three moinutes, I turn the ignition switch to "accessory" (Symbol "II" on the column), and i'm ready to tow.

When I first started doing this, my battery would be drained the next morning. But I found out why. I was so worried about doing everything right that I just left everything in that position (key to "accessory" instead of "off")all night. I ruined that battery and bought a new one at Costco with a CC rating somewhat higher than the original. By then, I had learned my lesson and have had no problems since.

Regarding warranty, here's the story as I undersytand it from the local Acura Dealer. All MDXs up to and including 2005 were fully warranteed for flat towing. For the 2006 model, they didn't make any changes to the transmmission, but did not warranty it for flat towing. You can just imagine why -- just too many miscreants screwing up their trnasmissions while towing, yet claiming they did eveything "by the book." But the local dealer was "confidentially confident" that a 2006 Acura MDX could be towed flat without problems.

For 2007, they completely change the transmission and they said there was no way this model should be towed flat.

Hope this helps,
Jim Mercer

Albuquerque, NM

2004 Allure/Newport/Black Tie, #31070 + White 2002 MDX

Quote from: btudor98245
We've towed our '05 MDX over 15,000 miles without any issues.

We've

never experienced a low battery if we removed fuse #9. In

preparing

for our Alaska trip this summer I came across a device that looks > great - it hasn't arrived yet for me to test it: RV Parts Plus > (www.rv-partsplus.com) sells a "Fuseswitch" in whatever amperage

you

want (15 amp for the MDX) for $32. Replace the fuse with this > device and you just flip the switch to open the circuit.
The MDX is a great car in its own right and tows like a dream.

Bill & Kathleen
'05 Inspire 51395

[quote author=Rick Pedigo"

>
>
>

>    Hello:
>

>    We are considering a late model Acura MDX. Perhaps an '05 > or '06. We have done our research and understand that after towing > for eight hours you must stop and place the transmission in each > gear with the motor running. That is not a big deal for us as we > typically are not driviing more than 6-7 hours. You can then

proceed

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 31058
I got frustrated with making sure this switch or that knob was in the right or wrong position and installed a battery disconnect switch. No dead bateries. 04 Honda.
TWI 2004 Intrigue 11731

Re: Acura +Honda Four down towing

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 31071
Jim:

The below Acura/Honda recall info. was found online at Consumer Reports. The inherent transmission heat build-up in several models as well as operator error may well have led the mfg. to remove all but the CRV from their 4-down towable list. In any tranny or towing dispute, for comfort, I want the mfg's warranty and owners guide on my side. We recall the reaction last year when FMCA Mag. announced that ALL Honda MTRs cars would no longer be covered under warranty. There must have been thousands of calls from stunned, satisfied RVers wanting an explanation, etc. Rvers have been doing the onroad research for the car mfgs. for many years. The following month the FMCA Mag. corrected themselves and said the CRV (and possibly others ?) would still be covered under warranty.
Don 36' 2000 Allure, # 30580, Deschutes; '07 CRV ============================================ "Problem:
Under certain conditions, heat buildup between shafts in transmission could damage gear teeth and cause transmission to stop abruptly.

Models:
600,000 sport-utility vehicles and minivans made 8/00 to 1/04 including '01-02 Acura MDX, '02-04 Honda Odyssey, and '03-04 Honda Pilot.

What to do:
On vehicles with 15,000 miles or less, dealer will modify transmission oil cooler line to increase lubrication to second gear. On higher-mileage vehicles, dealer will inspect transmission to identify gears that are discolored because of overheating. If discoloration exists, transmission will be replaced. If not, dealer will provide same fix as that for lower-mileage vehicles." ===================================================

Re: Acura +Honda Four down towing

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 31104
Thanks, Don.

I don't imagine the local Acura Dealer would be willing to tear apart my transmission for free now that it's out of warranty. Or does the recall mean they will do it for free even if it's out of warranty? If not, I guess I'll just keep on truckin' the way it is, but if the tranny locks up, I'll know what caused it.
One more thing: Although the instructions say you should be able to tow for 8 hours before recycling the transmision, I try to stop and do it about every four hours. I have no idea if that is doing any good or not, but it makes me feel better.

Thanks for the info.

Jim Mercer

Albuquerque, NM

2004 CC Allure/Newport/Black Tie + 2002 White Acura MDX FMCA 25375

Quote from: don94526
Jim:

The below Acura/Honda recall info. was found online at Consumer

Reports.

The inherent transmission heat build-up in several models as well

as

operator error may well have led the mfg. to remove all but the

CRV from

their 4-down towable list. In any tranny or towing dispute, for

comfort,

I want the mfg's warranty and owners guide on my side. We recall

the

reaction last year when FMCA Mag. announced that ALL Honda MTRs

cars

would no longer be covered under warranty. There must have been > thousands of calls from stunned, satisfied RVers wanting an > explanation, etc. Rvers have been doing the onroad research for

the car

mfgs. for many years. The following month the FMCA Mag. corrected > themselves and said the CRV (and possibly others ?) would still be > covered under warranty.

Don 36' 2000 Allure, # 30580, Deschutes; '07 CRV >

============================================ >

"Problem:

Under certain conditions, heat buildup between shafts in

transmission

could damage gear teeth and cause transmission to stop abruptly.

Models:

600,000 sport-utility vehicles and minivans made 8/00 to 1/04

including

'01-02 Acura MDX, '02-04 Honda Odyssey, and '03-04 Honda > Pilot.

What to do:

On vehicles with 15,000 miles or less, dealer will modify

transmission

oil cooler line to increase lubrication to second gear. On > higher-mileage vehicles, dealer will inspect transmission to

identify

gears that are discolored because of overheating. If discoloration > exists, transmission will be replaced. If not, dealer will provide

same

fix as that for lower-mileage vehicles." >

=================================================== >

[quote author=recremm3rc3r"

>

> Our 2002 MDX has worked perfectly for us. We have towed it flat

for

more than 40,000 miles and have had no problems except the

operator

error I shall describe below.
>

> First the procedure: I hook up the MDX, start the engine, run > > through all the gears and stop in Neutral, and let the engine

idle

for 3 minutes using a timer on my wristwatch. While idling, I

check

to make sure that (top to bottom) the 1)climate control is off,

2)

the Nav system is off, 3)the radio is off, and (since I also use

a

DC powered transmitter for XM "Roady"nradio plugged in to the > > cigarette liter outlet in the console) 4) the console DC outlet

is

unplugged. Notice I don't pull any fuses at all--just turn off

any

source of power drain.
> At the end of three moinutes, I turn the ignition switch > > to "accessory" (Symbol "II" on the column), and i'm ready to tow.
>

> When I first started doing this, my battery would be drained the > > next morning. But I found out why. I was so worried about doing > > everything right that I just left everything in that position

(key

to "accessory" instead of "off")all night. I ruined that battery

and

bought a new one at Costco with a CC rating somewhat higher than

the

original. By then, I had learned my lesson and have had no

problems

since.
>

> Regarding warranty, here's the story as I undersytand it from the > > local Acura Dealer. All MDXs up to and including 2005 were fully > > warranteed for flat towing. For the 2006 model, they didn't make

any

changes to the transmmission, but did not warranty it for flat > > towing. You can just imagine why -- just too many miscreants > > screwing up their trnasmissions while towing, yet claiming they

did

eveything "by the book." But the local dealer was "confidentially > > confident" that a 2006 Acura MDX could be towed flat without > > problems.
>

> For 2007, they completely change the transmission and they said > > there was no way this model should be towed flat.
>

> Hope this helps,
> Jim Mercer

> Albuquerque, NM

> 2004 Allure/Newport/Black Tie, #31070 + White 2002 MDX > >
>

[quote author=btudor98245"
> btudor@]
> >

> > We've towed our '05 MDX over 15,000 miles without any issues.
> We've

> > never experienced a low battery if we removed fuse #9. In > > preparing

> > for our Alaska trip this summer I came across a device that

looks

> great - it hasn't arrived yet for me to test it: RV Parts Plus > > > (www.rv-partsplus.com) sells a "Fuseswitch" in whatever

amperage

you

> > want (15 amp for the MDX) for $32. Replace the fuse with this > > > device and you just flip the switch to open the circuit.
> > The MDX is a great car in its own right and tows like a dream.
> >

> > Bill & Kathleen
> > '05 Inspire 51395
> >
> >
> >

[quote author=Rick Pedigo"
> >]
> > >
> > >
> > >

> > > Hello:
> > >

> > > We are considering a late model Acura MDX. Perhaps an '05 > > > or '06. We have done our research and understand that after

towing

> for eight hours you must stop and place the transmission in

each

> gear with the motor running. That is not a big deal for us as

we

> typically are not driviing more than 6-7 hours. You can then > > proceed

> > towing after doing this.
> > >

> > > Are there any other tips that someone may have such as what > > > position to leave the key in before departing? Any other

concerns?