Skip to main content
Topic: Batteries (Read 4753 times) previous topic - next topic

Batteries

Yahoo Message Number: 16551
Well this has come full circle. Had AGM supporters, 6-volt Golf Cart supporters and back to wet lead acid type.
Which leads me to believe there is no consenus on any of them being so much better than the others. All have advantages and disadvantages.
I'll let you all know what I end up doing but right now I have no idea which way I'll go.

Thanks for all the input.

Michael

01' Intrigue #11224

Re: Batteries

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 16556
Michael...we're not too far from 'your rig' in numbers, and we recently had our original batteries replaced with Delco AGMs at Cummins Northwest. They said in their opinion they're better and less expensive than the Lifeline ones that they usually had. Nice to have no maintenance. We did notice that they took less time to charge when we're plugged in right away. I think they were about $350 each. We replaced all three batteries at once with them.

Jan McN

2001 Intrigue 11320

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 16560
It is all the more confusing because we have absolutely no idea how the various coaches are used. Full time in Maine or part time in San Diego. Driven once a quarter or every day. Or (tongue in cheek) did the lead acid owners know you have to put water in them regularly!

David & Karen
2000 Intrigue 11062
40 ft Single slide. PT
2002 Odyssey TOAD

Batteries

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 20537
To everyone that responded to my questions regarding batteries I say a big Thank You. Comments were very helpful and I wound up buying the 2 8D's from Sams Club for $109 each. I'm putting them in tomorrow morning after I eat an extra bowl of Wheaties, that is ;-) I have first checked the SG so I would have a baseline and then gave them a top up charge so they should be ready to go. Again thanks to all. This is a great forum for owners.

Ron 98 Allure 30185

Batteries

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 26905
I pulled this off the Interstate Battery Web site. These are the specs of their RV Deep cycle 8D battery. Note the weight... 127 pounds (heavy). I'd guess these are House Batteries.

David

'02 Allure

RC (Min)

25A 75A weight

8D USRM-8D 455 106 6 / 30 20-3/4 | 11-1/8 | 9-7/8 127 3 options: L-shaped bracket w/ hole
OR auto post

OR auto post w/ hole

Batteries

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 28389
All, I have a question regarding the 3 batteries in our 03 Intrigue.
They are 19.5 inches long, 8.25 inches high and about 10.25 t0 10.5 inches wide. They aren't AGM(?) batteries. What type cell are they? Does an automatic watering system exist for these? Thanks in advance.
Reese

42' '03 Intrigue
First Avenue

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 28390
Probably you have "8 D" wet cell (water and sulfuric acid) batteries. Some where on the battery and usually on the top is a tag. Size of this tag is appox . a business card. Access on the top without sliding the battery out can be seen with a mirror and a flash light. Info on that tag there would be brand and model number. If you need to take a rag to clean the dirt away, you might want to put a latex glove on. This way your skin won't come in contact with acid.
I don't believe there is anyone who would recommend automatic fill of acid batteries. You would just be asking for trouble as we bounce along down the road. Just my opinion.
AL

00 affinity #5851

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 37676
Tom, Batteries Plus is a national dist. for Lifeline batteries. You might want to check with them before you purchase. I bought 2 a couple years ago. Very resonable.
Gene

01 Intrigue #11272

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 37693
Has anybody used a de-sulfator on their batteries? I bought one in Nov. and installed it. My batteries were not holding up all night but now they seem to act almost like new ones. It took awhile but seems to have done the job.

John Pratt

'06 Allure 31308
'06 Commander

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 37694
John,

I've got three de-sulphators of differing sizes. I rotate them between the batteries on all my vehicles, including the CC. My '94 Vette still has the original battery and performs like new. So does the CC.

Dave Trotter

01 Intrigue 11215

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 37695
Would you brief the rest of us with what type of system you purchased, how easy it was to use, and what it cost.

Jock Vargo
2005 Inspire

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 37698
I bought it from Northern Arizona Wind and Sun (on line). It was easy to install and adjust.

John Pratt

'06 Allure 31308
'06 Commander

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 37704
John, like you I have had very positive results from use of a desulphator.

George in Birmingham
'04 Allure 31038
George in Birmingham
2003 Magna 6298

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 37706
I always thought de-sulfating was the result of using the equalizer procedure built into most inverters. Have I been wrong about this? Do I need this gadget in addition? Daron 1998 Allure, #30226.

Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on AOL Home.

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 37708

What I read for what its worth is that you only want to equalize about one time per year it levels all of the coach batteries and is not what a battery tender does. Do not hook up a tender when anything else is putting 12 volts into the batteries. It puts a pulse higher voltage into the batteries and is supposed to remove sulfite from the surface of the battery cells. I have used one on the 66 GTO and motorcycle for 5 years and the batteries last much longer when the have a full charge and sit idle. If you full time I dont think they will be any use but if you store coach they might be a good 15.00 iinvestment.
Don 05 ispire xx235

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 37713
Daron, I think that you are right about the purpose of equalization.
I just never found that to be effective. It may be that eq should be run frequently, which I did not do. But, when my three year old AGMs were growing weak, eq did not help. De-sulphation, on the other hand save my AGM house batteries and my weakening chassis batteries. All my batts are now over four years old and perform as I remember they did when new.

The De-sulphator is only about $70 - $90. It is powered by the batteries to which it is attached. I leave it on a battery bank for a month at a time every six months.

George in Birmingham
'04 Allure 31038
George in Birmingham
2003 Magna 6298

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 37715
Using the equalizing function of the inverter is hard on the batteries. It puts excessive voltage on the batteries for an extended period of time and the batteries can heat up dramatically. This de-sulfator uses pulses of high voltage to do the job and, so far, seems very effective. Although it takes a period of time (a month or two) for it to do enough to be noticeable. Also, it only works when the batteries are above a certain voltage (being charged). It turns off when the batteries are just sitting or being used.

John Pratt

'06 Allure 31308

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 37721
One of the reasons to think that an equalizer was the same as desulfating a battery was the Charge Wizards' device claim that was how it operated. They were challenged on it and the desulfating claim no longer appears in their advertising. Now they just claim it is preventive for sulfation - more accurate.

Basically, equalizing means hitting the battery with a high enough voltage to boil the liquid and stir it up enough to back off some of the sulfation. This is useful if done consistently with a new battery and if equalizing is approved by the battery manufacturer. If you do much of this, keep track of water level. However, the battery will still eventually experience sulfation and a desulfator would be a good tool.
If the battery has been around a while, desulfation is really the only choice and is best done with one of the stand-alone units. They use the battery voltage to generate a pulse at a specific frequency and voltage level that breaks down the sulfation on the plates and helps bring the battery back to life. However, they can drain a battery if left alone. A charger of some sort is usually required in conjunction with its use. If used regularly with a new battery, the battery life seems to be extended considerably. There are also models that plug in and some even use solar to power the desulfator.

There is a forum on Yahoo for building your own desulfator if you are so inclined.

Last summer I picked up a tent camper for occasional local fishing trips behind my Jeep and it had a 12V battery that couldn't be charged above 8V. Using one of my desulfators, a good external charger and a load tester, it is now charged and holding 12.7V with no problem and load tests as 'Good'.
Mike

'95 Magna #5266

daronha@... wrote:

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 37722
John,

I believe that feature to turn off when the voltage drops to a certain level is a feature of just one of the manufacturers. Most will continue to attempt to desulfate until the battery voltage is so low it can be damaged. Usually a charger is recommended, coach plugged in normally or frequent use of the coach so that the alternator does its job to keep the battery charged. However, there are units available that plug into standard AC and do their thing. Also there is a small solar model that I have found useful.
Mike

'95 Magna #5266

jpratt@... wrote:

Batteries

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 39173
2006 Inspire 360, 36' Sienna #51549

I was checking the availability of serviving at Camping World in Nashville.

The service writer suggested that the problem might be my batteries (I doubt this) when asked if he had gel cell batteries available he started claiming the are no good.

Does anyone have any thoughts about replacement batteries?

TIA.

Daniel

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 39175
I lived on a boat for 5 years and ended up with 6 volt golf cart batteries in place of 8Ds. Had 12 of them which I changed out every
4-5years.

For price and amp hr liquid batteries are the best. The major problem is that you have to add water to them. I do this about 3 times per year but check every mo or so. Looking at the recharge cycle, number of times the batteries can be recharged, the gel cell, if I remember, only about 60% of liquid batteries.
If you have access to a Sams or Costco and want to do it yourself they have good prices.
Al

Quote from: daniell\.lieberman

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 39182
I purchased "Full River" 8D AGM's from a battery outlet in Miami, FL. a couple of years ago and I am very satisfied with them.

Note: If you are against buying items manufactured in China then these are not for you. Full River has been manufacturing batteries for many years for farming, industrial and boating but only in the last few years began importing to the U.S.

If you want a little more capacity than Lifeline offers and want to save a couple hundred $$$ on each battery then these may be for you.
Shipping can be very high as they weigh over 100 pounds each. If you are not near Miami, Fl I'm certain there are other outlets in the country.
If you are interested I can send you a PDF file that gives you detail.
Just send me an email. Of course it is also available online.

Joey & Debi

'98 Intrigue #10540

Quote from: daniell\.lieberman

Batteries

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 39184
My coach came with the LIFETIME Gel batteries. They lasted about 4 weeks. Would not hold a charge. I replaced them, with a refund from CC with lead-acid and have not had any problems since.
Gary

'04 Allure 31068

Vote for your city's best dining and nightlife. City's Best 2008.

Batteries

Reply #25
Yahoo Message Number: 39198
I too had my LIFELINE Gel batteries fail after about a month. They would not take a charge. LIFELINE replaced them at no charge and paid shipping and installation to LazyDays. Have not had a problem in four years since.
Note that our CC was built about the same time as Gary's S/N 31068.

Joe

'04 Allure #31031