Skip to main content
Topic: Unusual tire wear (Read 655 times) previous topic - next topic

Unusual tire wear

Yahoo Message Number: 49543
I have an '04 Allure 40' with 40,000 miles and the original Toyo tires. I carry 120 PSI in the front & tag and 110 in the duals. Just recently, the front passenger-side tire started wearing on the outer edge (about 1/2 inch). No noticeable wear on the driver's front. I have not hit any unusually bad pot holes, etc. and there is no change in the steering (no vibration, pulling or wandering).
Might be about time to replace the tires anyway due to age (plenty of tread left), but I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

Thanks for any advice.

Ken Bradshaw
'04 Allure 31042

Re: Unusual tire wear

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 49560
I have exactly the same problem on my 05 Inspire. No signs of excessive wear on the other tires at all, but the outside tread of the right front is very badly worn. Also, the wear on that tread is not even as you go around the tire. I am suspecting that the shock absorber may be bad as well as potentially an alignment and / or balance issue may be to blame. I do not notice any steering changes suggesting the alignment is out. I do occasionally notice what seems to be a balance issue - although it could be the shock I suppose. I asked a mechanic that works at a truck repair shop about it and he suggested I have the alignment checked and balance and rotate the front tires and see what happens.
I do have some noise in the right front area when I go over uneven roads and the coach bounces a bit. It's hard to describe, but it sounds sort of like a spring that needs adjusting. That tends to make me believe the shock is bad, or going bad.
I have the original Toyo tires - 33,000 miles. I run slightly lower pressures than you do also.

Please let me know what you or your mechanic determine.

David Crawford
05 Inspire 51212

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 49561
I also had the exact same problem on my PS front. I went to Schwab in JC to have it rotated and discovered that on my '06 I had tires that were made in Jan of '04, which made them over 5 years old. Schwab just happened to have 8 new Michelins in stock, so I had them installed. They said the most likely reason for the tire wear was alignment. Does anybody know of an truck alignment shop in the Sacramento area?

Dan 06 Intrigue 11936

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 49563
David

I think you might be right about the shock. I called an alignment place that Buddy Gregg uses and they suggested a full alignment and then switch the front tires with the inside duals. They did not mention the shock as a possible cause.

I'll be going there next week. I'll post the results.

Thanks for your reply.

Ken Bradshaw '04 Allure 31042

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 49564
Some help on shock failure or not. Assume you had no wear and good handling over a long period of time with even wear across the contact tire face. Shock wear will send a pattern to the face as intermittent and shows up as high and low spots. Assume the shock is defective going over bumps the weak shock allows the suspension to continue going up and down. Loose mounting shock bolts also allow continue movement. Ride height out of adjustment being to high would change tire face contact. Ride height changed in rear and raised the front. Sway bar attachment or rubber bushings wore out or missing.
You can check many front end parts the same way shops do it. Using a 4-5 foot long steel bar. Checking the load of each part where it attaches. Coach level at ride height, wheels straightforward.
Rust, also give a clue to worn out parts showing up as a wash out brown around pieces. Another trouble spot are the banjo clamps checked with pipe wrench for tightness.
Probably 90% coach tire wear that something has changed, loose or wore out shows up on passenger front tire, outside edge. Hope this will help you.
AL

00 affinity #5851

Popular laptop deals plus free shipping!