Skip to main content
Topic: Advice Please for New Affinity Owner (Read 916 times) previous topic - next topic

Advice Please for New Affinity Owner

Yahoo Message Number: 32574
Hello. My husband and I just bought a 42' 2000 Affinity #5825. He has been researching Country Coaches for over four years and is knowledgeable about all of the components that interest a man. Now it's my turn to learn as much as I can about the inside of the coach, such as outfitting, organizing, cleaning and caring for it. Our coach has so many features and so much storage that I don't know where to start. I'd appreciate any help you can share -- what do you know now that you wish you knew when you were starting out? What is the best advice you can share with a very excited yet overwhelmed woman? I have basic questions such as how do you organize things in your cupboards so they don't shift during travel? How do you pack light yet have all of the essentials? With six children, lots of hobbies and interests, I have been a "collector" in my past life. Now I am excited to learn how to outfit this home with just the bare necessities. Have you developed your own "checklists" or are there other resources that deal with this? I should add that (even though we've been studying this for several years) we are new to RV'ing so I need A LOT of help!!! Thanks for any help or direction you can give me!!!

Re: Advice Please for New Affinity Owner

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 32578
Quote from: acchace

> Hello. My husband and I just bought a 42' 2000 Affinity #5825. He > has been researching Country Coaches for over four years and is > knowledgeable about all of the components that interest a man. Now > it's my turn to learn as much as I can about the inside of the

coach,

such as outfitting, organizing, cleaning and caring for it. Our

coach

has so many features and so much storage that I don't know where to > start. I'd appreciate any help you can share -- what do you know now > that you wish you knew when you were starting out? What is the best > advice you can share with a very excited yet overwhelmed woman? I > have basic questions such as how do you organize things in your > cupboards so they don't shift during travel? How do you pack light > yet have all of the essentials? With six children, lots of hobbies > and interests, I have been a "collector" in my past life. Now I am > excited to learn how to outfit this home with just the bare > necessities. Have you developed your own "checklists" or are there > other resources that deal with this? I should add that (even though > we've been studying this for several years) we are new to RV'ing so

I

need A LOT of help!!! Thanks for any help or direction you can give

me!!!

I have a 2000 allure 40 FT. # 30498 with a lot of room to storage with 3 (out side slide) one slide on the rv.
It will come in time if you are like my MRS you will fill up ever thing in ever draw have 20 in all Pluse the 3 out side sides.
(They come out from the unter part of the rv all the way across)They make room for all the things you think you have to have for the grand kids. The cupboards ( 30 in all some big and some not)are full of things like 60 pluse rolls TP paper and Bounty paper towes they will fit in to any space you may have to fill up.( Can get the big ones from sam,s) The 3 grand kids are all girls) So you can never not have to much TP.

The think is I did my best to keep it down it did not work. It is so easy to get this and that on the road a nice X-Mas gife you see in Ak. in June. One has to make room for these things.A rock in Old Mexico for who know's? it was only 33 lbs. The shells you pick up in Fl. on the beach. Like 3 big bages. It goes on and on.
We have never gone over the GVWR Weight. So I say go for it and enjoy your self and take it with you. Who know's what you do not take will be the think you need the most.
All in fun it does not make one mile per gal. diff. in the RV if you take it or leave it at home.

This is what I have to say . I know a lot of people will say no way. That is what they say. I am only a man. , With one Happy MRS. Take care and have a nice day.
Capt. Dan 2000 Allure # 30498

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 32583
To "Dan with the happy Mrs.": I had to laugh out loud when I read that you buy tp in bulk at Sam's. That's where I shop for our big family and one of the reasons I have hugh quantities of "stuff"! One of the things my husband told me I needed to learn asap was that we COULD NOT use regular toilet paper in the coach...only special biodegradeable tp. So we made a trip to a camping specialty store and bought a four roll package of tp that he said would work. By my calculations, it will cost about 25 cents per square and he tells me I can only use 3 squares at a time!!! Obviously, he DOES NOT understand the female anatomy!!! So what am I to believe????? Does my Charmin work? Oh, and another question, where do I buy sheets for my queen bed with rounded corners?? My husband said he hopes the couch is comfortable for me to sleep on because he hangs over the bed even when he lays diagonally!!! Can you change out matresses??? Thanks!

Amy C.

Quote from: dmgelaine_02
>

[quote author=acchace"

>

> Hello. My husband and I just bought a 42' 2000 Affinity #5825.

He

has been researching Country Coaches for over four years and is > > knowledgeable about all of the components that interest a man.

Now

it's my turn to learn as much as I can about the inside of the > coach,

> such as outfitting, organizing, cleaning and caring for it. Our > coach

> has so many features and so much storage that I don't know where

to

start. I'd appreciate any help you can share -- what do you know

now

that you wish you knew when you were starting out? What is the

best

advice you can share with a very excited yet overwhelmed woman?

I

have basic questions such as how do you organize things in your > > cupboards so they don't shift during travel? How do you pack

light

yet have all of the essentials? With six children, lots of

hobbies

and interests, I have been a "collector" in my past life. Now I

am

excited to learn how to outfit this home with just the bare > > necessities. Have you developed your own "checklists" or are

there

other resources that deal with this? I should add that (even

though

we've been studying this for several years) we are new to RV'ing

so

I

> need A LOT of help!!! Thanks for any help or direction you can

give

me!!!
>

I have a 2000 allure 40 FT. # 30498 with a lot of room to > storage with 3 (out side slide) one slide on the rv.
 It will come in time if you are like my MRS you will fill up > ever thing in ever draw have 20 in all Pluse the 3 out side sides.
(They come out from the unter part of the rv all the way across)

They

make room for all the things you think you have to have for the

grand

kids. The cupboards ( 30 in all some big and some not)are full of > things like 60 pluse rolls TP paper and Bounty paper towes they

will

fit in to any space you may have to fill up.( Can get the big ones > from sam,s) The 3 grand kids are all girls) So you can never not

have

to much TP.

The think is I did my best to keep it down it did not work. It

is

so easy to get this and that on the road a nice X-Mas gife you see

in

Ak. in June. One has to make room for these things.A rock in Old > Mexico for who know's? it was only 33 lbs. The shells you pick up

in

Fl. on the beach. Like 3 big bages. It goes on and on.
 We have never gone over the GVWR Weight. So I say go for it and > enjoy your self and take it with you. Who know's what you do not

take

will be the think you need the most.
 All in fun it does not make one mile per gal. diff. in the RV

if

you take it or leave it at home.
 This is what I have to say . I know a lot of people will say

no

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 32587
I can't top Capt. Dan's way of making the Mrs. happy, but if you would like to contact me off line, I would be happy to share some thoughts and ideas with you. I don't want to bore the guys on this forum who are in to more important issues. We have been full time for almost 7 years so have collected my share of gifts and rocks!!

Don't get stressed - It will all fall into place very easily.

Kathy

2000 Allure #30536

marshshopk@...

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 32599
I have used two solutions in different RVs.
1. You can buy a piece of foam the thickness of your mattress and as long as the matress is wide. Place it betwenn the mattress and the headboard. Put your sheet of both and you now have a longer more comfortable mattress. since your pillow lays over both you will not notice any difference in the firmness.
2. Get a new Mattress that suits your fancy.

Only concern with either solution, you have to leave room to walk past the now longer bed.

Bob Wexler

SOB Looking for help for my daughters CC

Bedding is a problem as few RV have standard mattresses even
though they advertise as such. I suppose with enough research or a good sewing machine one could solve the problem including round corners. I have seen a lot of posts on the group on the subject.

>

Fortunately I am only 5" 3" tall and never bump my head on
anything let alone hang over the end of the bed. Not much help there.
There also has been a lot of posts on mattress replacement but length is a problem in a lot of coaches. It has probably been a while but maybe your husband can remember the fetal position. Just joking.

>

Don Seager

2004 Allure 31046

> To "Dan with the happy Mrs.": I had to laugh out loud when I read > that you buy tp in bulk at Sam's. That's where I shop for our big > family and one of the reasons I have hugh quantities of "stuff"! > One of the things my husband told me I needed to learn asap was

that

we COULD NOT use regular toilet paper in the coach...only special > biodegradeable tp. So we made a trip to a camping specialty store > and bought a four roll package of tp that he said would work. By

my

calculations, it will cost about 25 cents per square and he tells

me

I can only use 3 squares at a time!!! Obviously, he DOES NOT > understand the female anatomy!!! So what am I to believe?????

Does

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 32631
I found fitted sheets for the 'short Queen' mattress at Camping World.
Extending the length is not an option on mine, as when you bring the slide in, the end of the bed it right against the 'dresser'. But I am 6' 6", and by moving up to where my head just touches the headboard, the end of the bed is far enough down my ankle to be comfortable. We use the 'Bed-Sack', so the feet are covered.

John 04 Inspire 51078

Quote from: wexlerb
1. You can buy a piece of foam the thickness of your mattress and

as

long as the matress is wide. Place it betwenn the mattress and the > headboard. Put your sheet of both and you now have a longer more > comfortable mattress. since your pillow lays over both you will not > notice any difference in the firmness.

Only concern with either solution, you have to leave room to walk > past the now longer bed.

Bob Wexler

SOB Looking for help for my daughters CC >

> Bedding is a problem as few RV have standard mattresses even > though they advertise as such. I suppose with enough research or a > good sewing machine one could solve the problem including round > corners. I have seen a lot of posts on the group on the subject.
>

> Fortunately I am only 5" 3" tall and never bump my head on > anything let alone hang over the end of the bed. Not much help

there.

There also has been a lot of posts on mattress replacement but

length

is a problem in a lot of coaches. It has probably been a while but > maybe your husband can remember the fetal position. Just joking.
>

> Don Seager

> 2004 Allure 31046
>
>

> To "Dan with the happy Mrs.": I had to laugh out loud when I

read

that you buy tp in bulk at Sam's. That's where I shop for our

big

family and one of the reasons I have hugh quantities

of "stuff"!

One of the things my husband told me I needed to learn asap was > that

> we COULD NOT use regular toilet paper in the coach...only

special

biodegradeable tp. So we made a trip to a camping specialty

store

and bought a four roll package of tp that he said would work.

By

my

> calculations, it will cost about 25 cents per square and he

tells

me

> I can only use 3 squares at a time!!! Obviously, he DOES NOT > > understand the female anatomy!!! So what am I to believe????? > Does

> my Charmin work? Oh, and another question, where do I buy

sheets

for my queen bed with rounded corners?? My husband said he

hopes

the couch is comfortable for me to sleep on because he hangs

over

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 32646
I never buy the expensive camping store toilet paper. We buy one of SCOTT's brands.

Just the other day, I verified that Wal-mart Superstore in Bangor ME sells SCOTTS toilet paper that is labeled "Septic Safe AND RV SAFE" along with all the other brands, including a SCOTT that is only Septic Safe.

Look for the SCOTT 1000 sheet rolls. Unfortunately it is single ply, so it takes a little a few more sheets -- but it is a 1000 sheet roll.

Try this test with an RV Safe toilet paper and other toilet paper.
Take two clear personal water bottles filled 3/4 full with water. Add a couple of sheets of toilet paper you are testing to their respective bottle. Cap and shake. You will be amazed that the RV-Safe paper turns almost to a pulp, and non-RV-Safe paper keeps it shape and does not break up.

That is what RV Safe toilet paper is all about.

Check this photo of the package of SCOTT tissue: http://www.where-rv-now.us/allure/scottissue.jpg
Herb

2007 Allure #31466
Now in Bangor Maine

Next week in the Canadian Maritime

Quote from: dogdocdave

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 32650
For Costco aficionados, others have demonstrated that the Kirkland brand works well too. We concur. The only problem is where to store 8000 rolls of toilet paper.

Bill & Debbie in San Diego
SOB

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 32760
Here's another possible solution to the "my bed is too short" problem.

We had previously purchased a regular queen-sized Select Comfort (Sleep by Numbers) air mattress for our house. As I'm 6'1", the shorter RV bed in my 2004 Allure was not ideal. Replacing it with the Select Comfort did the trick.

To do that, I built a wooden box to fit within the frame of the bedroom slide underneath the bed on the left side (as you look at it from the foot of the bed). I ordered extensions to the air tubes from Select Comfort and drilled 1" holes in the plywood near the head of the bed base and ran the tubes through the holes to connect the air mattress to it's air pump in the box. The electrical receptacle on the left side of the bed was ideally located already.

There are two minor problems, but both are easy to resolve:
1) The extra length causes the air mattress to bunch up a bit at the foot of the bed when the slide is retracted. However, because it is an air materss, there is considerable give and it seems to work OK. The slide does have a tendency to gradually move out about 3/4" during long trips, but I've solved that by using a slide lock about 2' long which I purchased at a local travel trailer dealer. I just install it on the top of the slide behind the wooden frame of the slide.

NOTE: Attach a red "remove before flight" flag to the slide lock and drape it over the top of the slide once you lock it in place.
That way you won't forget and hit the "extend" button when you have the lock in place.

2) Second problem is the bed sheets that won't tuck in properly
since the base of the bed is a few inches shorter than the mattress. To fix that, just sew extensions to your blankets and sheets and it will work OK.

Hope This Helps Somebody,
Jim Mercer

Albuquerque, NM

2004 Allure/Newport/Black Tie #31070 and 2002 Acura MDX (and still living with the paint checking and cracked kitchen tiles with no hope of correction).

Quote from: wexlerb
1. You can buy a piece of foam the thickness of your mattress and

as

long as the matress is wide. Place it betwenn the mattress and the > headboard. Put your sheet of both and you now have a longer more > comfortable mattress. since your pillow lays over both you will

not

notice any difference in the firmness.

Only concern with either solution, you have to leave room to walk > past the now longer bed.

Bob Wexler

SOB Looking for help for my daughters CC >

> Bedding is a problem as few RV have standard mattresses even > though they advertise as such. I suppose with enough research or a > good sewing machine one could solve the problem including round > corners. I have seen a lot of posts on the group on the subject.
>

> Fortunately I am only 5" 3" tall and never bump my head on > anything let alone hang over the end of the bed. Not much help

there.

There also has been a lot of posts on mattress replacement but

length

is a problem in a lot of coaches. It has probably been a while but > maybe your husband can remember the fetal position. Just joking.
>

> Don Seager

> 2004 Allure 31046
>
>

> To "Dan with the happy Mrs.": I had to laugh out loud when I

read

that you buy tp in bulk at Sam's. That's where I shop for our

big

family and one of the reasons I have hugh quantities

of "stuff"!

One of the things my husband told me I needed to learn asap

was

that

> we COULD NOT use regular toilet paper in the coach...only

special

biodegradeable tp. So we made a trip to a camping specialty

store

and bought a four roll package of tp that he said would work.

By

my

> calculations, it will cost about 25 cents per square and he

tells

me

> I can only use 3 squares at a time!!! Obviously, he DOES NOT > > understand the female anatomy!!! So what am I to believe????? > Does

> my Charmin work? Oh, and another question, where do I buy

sheets

for my queen bed with rounded corners?? My husband said he

hopes

the couch is comfortable for me to sleep on because he hangs

over