Skip to main content
Topic: Diesel in Oil (Read 1582 times) previous topic - next topic

Diesel in Oil

Yahoo Message Number: 33004
Hi Earl

Cummins Atlantic in Richmond, Va. said I had no fuel in engine oil- they check this by taking dip stick out and put a match to it until it burns and then smell the smoke- no fuel in oil- Didn't seem to me very great way to check- but I'm no mechanic-
My thought is at FlyingJ on the last oil change they showed me the dip stick to show it is OK- but they fill in from the top of engine and could it be that it take some time for ALL of it to get to dip stick-

Stan vander ploeg
#11556 Intrigue "03"

Re: Diesel in Oil

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 33007
Hi Don

Yes it was checked cold eath time-

Stan vander ploeg
#11556 Intrigue "03"

Quote from: Don Seager
Stan,

Also, was the oil at the same temperature each time it was
checked? It expands quite a lot going from cold to hot.

>

I am curious as to putting a match to the stick. My 2004 Allure
ISL has a glued on plastic tip on the end of the dip stick so Cummins could not do that with mine. I assume that yours does not have the plastic tip. One dropped off the end of mine into the crankcase.
Hopefully it dropped out on the next oil change before getting ground up into who knows what. The replacement stick had the same stupid plastic tip.

>

Don Seager

2004 Allure 31046

Cummins Atlantic in Richmond, Va. said I had no fuel in engine

oil-

they check this by taking dip stick out and put a match to it

until it

burns and then smell the smoke- no fuel in oil- Didn't seem to me

very

great way to check- but I'm no mechanic- >

My thought is at FlyingJ on the last oil change they showed me

the dip

stick to show it is OK- but they fill in from the top of engine

and

could it be that it take some time for ALL of it to get to dip

stick-

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 33008
Hi Stan, Does not sound like a very scientific way to prove there was not diesel in the fuel. I think an oil analysis would be more appropriate. I still have the oil I drained from my engine, (have to take it to the local drop off point) I will try their method and see what results I get. I would still mark the dip stick and check it again in a few hundred miles to see if the level has increased.

Earl Densten

03 Intrigue 11554

Quote from: stanley20002152
>

Hi Earl
> Cummins Atlantic in Richmond, Va. said I had no fuel in engine oil- > they check this by taking dip stick out and put a match to it until

it

very

My thought is at FlyingJ on the last oil change they showed me the

dip

stick to show it is OK- but they fill in from the top of engine and > could it be that it take some time for ALL of it to get to dip

stick-

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 33010
The local Cummins Service Manager said that it is pretty easy to tell if you diesel in your oil if you drop some onto a piece of cardboard.
If it seperates and spreads you have a positive result and fuel is present.
Russ

05 Intrigue

>

Hi Don

Yes it was checked cold eath time- >

Stan vander ploeg
#11556 Intrigue "03"

[quote author=Don Seager"

>
>
>

> Stan,
>

> Also, was the oil at the same temperature each time it was > checked? It expands quite a lot going from cold to hot.
>

> I am curious as to putting a match to the stick. My 2004 Allure > ISL has a glued on plastic tip on the end of the dip stick so

Cummins

could not do that with mine. I assume that yours does not have the > plastic tip. One dropped off the end of mine into the crankcase.
Hopefully it dropped out on the next oil change before getting

ground

up into who knows what. The replacement stick had the same stupid > plastic tip.
>

> Don Seager

> 2004 Allure 31046
>

> Cummins Atlantic in Richmond, Va. said I had no fuel in engine > oil-

> they check this by taking dip stick out and put a match to it > until it

> burns and then smell the smoke- no fuel in oil- Didn't seem to

me

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 33011
Hi Stan, Well I just tried to duplicate what Cummins did. I dipped a strip of aluminum into the contaminated oil and tried the match trick, match kept blowing out. Used a small propane torch and repeated, the oil immediately caught fire. I then tried using new 15w 40 oil, it too caught fire, but it took a little longer (maybe 3 or 4 seconds longer). I will try what Russ just posted using the cardboard, will let you know what results I get.

Earl Densten

03 Intrigue 11554

>

Hi Don

Yes it was checked cold eath time- >

Stan vander ploeg
#11556 Intrigue "03"

[quote author=Don Seager"

>
>
>

> Stan,
>

> Also, was the oil at the same temperature each time it was > checked? It expands quite a lot going from cold to hot.
>

> I am curious as to putting a match to the stick. My 2004 Allure > ISL has a glued on plastic tip on the end of the dip stick so

Cummins

could not do that with mine. I assume that yours does not have the > plastic tip. One dropped off the end of mine into the crankcase.
Hopefully it dropped out on the next oil change before getting

ground

up into who knows what. The replacement stick had the same stupid > plastic tip.
>

> Don Seager

> 2004 Allure 31046
>

> Cummins Atlantic in Richmond, Va. said I had no fuel in engine > oil-

> they check this by taking dip stick out and put a match to it > until it

> burns and then smell the smoke- no fuel in oil- Didn't seem to

me

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 33012
Just tried what Russ had posted, the contaminated oil did separate and spread, but so did the new oil (did not spread as much). So I think an oil analysis is the only real way to tell.

Earl Densten

03 Intrigue 11554

>

Hi Earl
> Cummins Atlantic in Richmond, Va. said I had no fuel in engine oil- > they check this by taking dip stick out and put a match to it until

it

very

My thought is at FlyingJ on the last oil change they showed me the

dip

stick to show it is OK- but they fill in from the top of engine and > could it be that it take some time for ALL of it to get to dip

stick-

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 33018
It really doesn't take a lot of diesel fuel in the oil to wipe out all your engine bearings. It's hard to believe that any diesel tech would ever entertain that method to diagnose diesel fuel in the oil.
So lets look at it another way.. 10 gal oil capacity in engine and what percentage of diesel fuel do we need in it to burn ? A Cummins service manager said this test is accurate ? We should stay away from that shop !!! AL

00 affinity #5851

Diesel in Oil

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 33025
When ever you have your oil changed you should have an oil-analyses done this tells you what that engine is doing and also for engine warranty any way. They only cost around $10 to $15 dollars, pretty cheep.

Al 2003 Magna

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 33026
Oil analyses kits can be ordered from NAPA auto parts. You can do it yourself when you sample the oil at oil change time. Also available is a extractor kit to draw a sample at any time via the oil filler. If the counter man can't find them suggest they look in the front of the Wix filter catalog. The kit comes with everything needed including a shipping box. Two (2) needed if you also sample the generator oil.
AL

00 affinity #5851

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 33027
While I agree that only an oil analysis should be used to check for diesel in the oil, diesel is a lubricant and won't wipe out engine bearings. What it does is lower the viscosity. I know, I had a bad injector pump and I was blowing oil out the engine. I was over filled by two gallons, and that was after blowing out copious quantities of oil (and diesel). Cummins in San Leandro California diagnosed the problem (with an oil analysis) and I ased the question: did this damage my engine? They replied "no, diesel is a lubricant. The dilution of the oil with diesel lowers the viscosity, and you do not want to put a lot of miles on the engine with a low viscosity mix, especially working the engine hard, but in the short run the engine will be fine"

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 33028
The way to learn if you have fuel in your oil is to send a sample into a lab such as Blackstone for an oil analysis. Not only will it tell you that, but it looks at the metals as well. It only costs $18.

Quote from: Don Seager
Stan,

Also, was the oil at the same temperature each time it was
checked? It expands quite a lot going from cold to hot.

>

I am curious as to putting a match to the stick. My 2004 Allure
ISL has a glued on plastic tip on the end of the dip stick so Cummins could not do that with mine. I assume that yours does not have the plastic tip. One dropped off the end of mine into the crankcase.
Hopefully it dropped out on the next oil change before getting ground up into who knows what. The replacement stick had the same stupid plastic tip.

>

Don Seager

2004 Allure 31046

Cummins Atlantic in Richmond, Va. said I had no fuel in engine

oil-

they check this by taking dip stick out and put a match to it

until it

very

My thought is at FlyingJ on the last oil change they showed me

the dip

stick to show it is OK- but they fill in from the top of engine

and

could it be that it take some time for ALL of it to get to dip

stick-

Diesel in Oil

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 33032
Allan, Other than the oil being blown out, did you get any other indications such as a warning light on the dash? When I experienced the problem, I got two warning lights and then a "STOP ENGINE" light, the stop engine light went out immediately when I lifted off the accelerator. When I checked the Silver Leaf diagnostic it said "low fuel pressure" and "low oil pressure". I also noted that they replaced your injector pump, on mine they took the injector pump apart and replaced 2 O-Rings and 2 Sealing washers. The cost including replacing the oil and oil filter was about $530.00, of which $426.00 was labor.
The shop foreman did not seem too concerned that I had driven about 150 miles after I got the warning lights.

Earl Densten

03 Intrigue 11554

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 33035
I will agree that your diesel fuel in the oil will probably not wipe out a set of engine bearings. It sure isn't going to extend the life of the engine. I believe in your case the problem was caught or observed before major damage occurred. This of course is small amounts. Your engine 2 gals over full is not a small amount of diesel fuel. You can consider yourself very lucky.
AL

00 affinity #5851

Diesel in Oil

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 33063
The only other thing besides oil blowing out on my toad was that my dash analog oil pressure was lower than normal, runing around 25 lbs instead of the normal 40. I don't know why they had to replace my injector pump and only needed to replace O rings and sealing washers on yours, but I wish they had done that on mine, as the repair cost me $4K.

Al Colby

2000 Intrigue 10979

Quote from: Earl
Allan, Other than the oil being blown out, did you get any other > indications such as a warning light on the dash? When I

experienced

the problem, I got two warning lights and then a "STOP ENGINE"

light,

the stop engine light went out immediately when I lifted off the > accelerator. When I checked the Silver Leaf diagnostic it

said "low

fuel pressure" and "low oil pressure". I also noted that they

replaced

your injector pump, on mine they took the injector pump apart and > replaced 2 O-Rings and 2 Sealing washers. The cost including

replacing

the oil and oil filter was about $530.00, of which $426.00 was

labor.

The shop foreman did not seem too concerned that I had driven about

miles after I got the warning lights.

Earl Densten

03 Intrigue 11554

Quote from: Al Tallman

>

> When ever you have your oil changed you should have an oil-

analyses

done this tells you what that engine is doing and also for

engine

warranty any way. They only cost around $10 to $15 dollars,

pretty

Diesel in Oil

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 33065
Thanks for the response, my oil pressure gage has always read low, but the Silver Leaf gage seemed to be reading correctly. Sorry that you had to pay the price of an injector pump. Mine was under warranty and that may be the reason they took the cheaper way out.

Earl Densten

03 Intrigue 11554

Quote from: Allan Colby

> The only other thing besides oil blowing out on my toad was that my > dash analog oil pressure was lower than normal, runing around 25

lbs

instead of the normal 40. I don't know why they had to replace my > injector pump and only needed to replace O rings and sealing

washers

on yours, but I wish they had done that on mine, as the repair cost > me $4K.

Al Colby

2000 Intrigue 10979

[quote author=Earl"

>

> Allan, Other than the oil being blown out, did you get any other > > indications such as a warning light on the dash? When I > experienced

> the problem, I got two warning lights and then a "STOP ENGINE" > light,

> the stop engine light went out immediately when I lifted off the > > accelerator. When I checked the Silver Leaf diagnostic it > said "low

> fuel pressure" and "low oil pressure". I also noted that they > replaced

> your injector pump, on mine they took the injector pump apart and > > replaced 2 O-Rings and 2 Sealing washers. The cost including > replacing

> the oil and oil filter was about $530.00, of which $426.00 was > labor.

> The shop foreman did not seem too concerned that I had driven

about

> miles after I got the warning lights.
>
>

> Earl Densten
>

> 03 Intrigue 11554
>

> -

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 33068
Yes but one thing wrong with Napa is you don't have a record with Cummins or Cat in there data base. and using the same person all the time you have a consistent report. When using different people they have different standards for the test and that's where consistency comes in to play.

Al 6213

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 33070
AL, what are you talking about? If you are talking about the oil sample report, this is a kit you buy and mail in to a lab for test results. Confused in KC.
Al

00 affinity #5851

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 33082
In regards to the consistent data-wrong. Tim Kelly of Cummins in the seminar today said that the different Cummins, LLC, etc. are finally coming into line to having their computers talk to each other. Should be better in next ear.! Keep your own records! Christine & Lon Cross 31417
2006 Allure 430-New engine

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 33088
a new engine ? what happened to the old one ? AL

00 affinity #5851