Skip to main content
Topic: Fuel tank capacity. (Read 649 times) previous topic - next topic

Fuel tank capacity.

Yahoo Message Number: 33923
A couple of years ago my fuel gauge quit and I unwittingly drove the coach till I run out of diesel, (I thought I was getting really great mileage till the motor stopped!) and the gauge was still showing 1/4 tank. I had a mobile service bring me 20 gallons, them drove to a Flying J about 6 miles down the road and filled up, and it took another 120 gallons.

My tank is supposed to hold 150 gallons, and it does exactly that and I now know exactly how far I can drive.
I now have a new gauge but never trust it, and calculate my distance at 7mpg to a maximum of 120 gallons. Most times when I think I am close to my limit the tank takes between 100 and 115 so I have a good margin for error.

Chris Bradley

1993 Affinity 4952

Re: Fuel tank capacity.

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 33924
The only time one can trust a fuel gage is when it says empty.
Rich 97 Affinity

Re: Fuel tank capacity.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 33929
I'am on my 3ad fuel tank sending unit in 7 years. With such an assortment of sending units each one has been a little different on its readings. I think the gauge is probably just an reminder of the fuel level remaining in the tank. Noting the mileage when I fill up is the most accurate way not to run out of fuel. The gauge travels all over depending on the road angles. Probably some baffles in the tank but with the tanks long and narrow the fuel is always moving, except at level and stopped. I keep a small spiral note book on the dash tray for fuel info.
AL

00 affinity #5851