Skip to main content
Topic: (no subject) (Read 579 times) previous topic - next topic

(no subject)

Yahoo Message Number: 34121
As a pilot, and I suspect there are many of us coach owners who are also pilot/owners, you know that Lycoming or Continental would have a far different approach to the engine problem than Cummins seems to be committed to deploy.
Of course the liability exposure may be somewhat different as well. With similar industry background, again many of us may, I am confident Cummins has had numerous meetings that included the warranty team, public relations team and absolutely the CFO. It is a cost issue with assumption of a calculated risk in PR.

Let's hope that the liability component doesn't become active from an accident that results from a catastrophic failure. The fix that Cummins has effected is obviously one that results in a minimum cost while allowing them, if in litigation, to explain how seriously they attacked the problem with a solution intended to provide warning of a catastrophic failure. It does nothing to determine or fix the problem itself.
Today I scheduled our coach for the recall fitting. As the coach has 10,000 miles on it this was a tough decision. I visited with Cummins who claimed they haven't yet had a failure beyond 10,000 miles. I was tempted to let it go because I always seem to find that one repair leads to another issue.
Cummins though said I would be jeopardizing the warranty if the engine was not in compliance with the latest updates.
As we were considering other coaches when we acquired the Allure I had also joined the American Yahoo group and am still receiving the many posting of American owners. The Cummins situation is possibly an even bigger subject of rancor there than on this site.
Gerry Brown
Allure, 2007