Skip to main content
Topic: Polishing wheels on newer vehicles (Read 549 times) previous topic - next topic

Polishing wheels on newer vehicles

Yahoo Message Number: 37423
While at the FMCA in Pomona I talked with the rep. in the Alcoa wheel display. There were several products on display which were used for polishing the wheels. I told her that it was my understanding that the newer wheels should not be polished but rather cleaned with soap and water as they had been sealed. She said that was true but could not tell me what year they started doing this. This may have been discussed previously however I am a new member and would like to hear what you have heard.

'06 Allure #31409

Re: Polishing wheels on newer vehicles

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 37425
The change over happened somewhere in the '03-'05 era. For sure yours are the "no polish" wheels.
Don

'02 Intrigue #11427

Quote from: rod5206
While at the FMCA in Pomona I talked with the rep. in the Alcoa

wheel

display. There were several products on display which were used for > polishing the wheels. I told her that it was my understanding that

the

newer wheels should not be polished but rather cleaned with soap and > water as they had been sealed. She said that was true but could not > tell me what year they started doing this. This may have been

discussed
'02 Intrigue #11427

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 37449
Hello All

I think that age generalizations about wheel coatings may be suspect. I have an 08 Intrigue and while at the factory for delivery I had Mobile Mike detail the coach. He had just finished a late model Allure and had polished the wheels on it and they looked great. I asked him to include a wheel polish in my detail job. He checked a code on the wheels and said they were NOT coated and that he could polish them - but he always checks the code before taking buffer to aluminum. Mine also turned out great and were obviously not coated.

Kindest Regards,

Bradley Burgess

bburgess6@...
08 Intrigue #12249

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 37559
Take a small amount of polish on a soft cloth and rub on a small area of the wheel, if the cloth starts to turn black you do not have sealed wheels and it is OK to polish. If the cloth shows no discoloration you have a sealed wheel, do not polish as the polish will damage the seal coat.

Mark P

03 Allure #30916

Quote from: rod5206
While at the FMCA in Pomona I talked with the rep. in the Alcoa

wheel

display. There were several products on display which were used for > polishing the wheels. I told her that it was my understanding that

the

newer wheels should not be polished but rather cleaned with soap and > water as they had been sealed. She said that was true but could not > tell me what year they started doing this. This may have been

discussed