Skip to main content
Topic: Hydraulic hose alert (Read 533 times) previous topic - next topic

Hydraulic hose alert

Yahoo Message Number: 41424
Just finished installing a vent grill in my engine access door to reduce the desert storm and increase engine cooling. In the process checked for the forum recommended eight inch plate across the bottom of the fan box and found serious chafing of the hydraulic hose to the fan controller. This coach already had an extension of the fan box as a factory installed item. The hose was resting on top of this steel plate and was chafing on the edge of the plate. It was not so serious as to require a new hose but we did install an insulated hose clamp to protect it from the steel edge. A serious problem averted.

Lyle Wetherholt
04 Intrigue 11740

Re: Hydraulic hose alert

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 41428
Lyle

On my coach, two of the clamps that held the hose in position broke allowing the hose to move close enough to the fan that the fan blade tips were hitting one of the broken clamps. The loud metallic noise this created made me think I had a fan motor or turbo about to explode. Turned out to be simple repair with no harm done. Had a heck of a time finding the right replacement clamps. Finally got them from Fastenal.

Ken Bradshaw

'04 Allure #31042

Quote from: Lyle Wetherholt

Hydraulic hose alert

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 41491
Hydraulic hose alert Posted by: "Lyle Wetherholt" lylewet@... lylewet Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:57 am (PDT) Just finished installing a vent grill in my engine access door to reduce the desert storm and increase engine cooling. In the process checked for the forum recommended eight inch plate across the bottom of the fan box and found serious chafing of the hydraulic hose to the fan controller. This coach already had an extension of the fan box as a factory installed item. The hose was resting on top of this steel plate and was chafing on the edge of the plate. It was not so serious as to require a new hose but we did install an insulated hose clamp to protect it from the steel edge. A serious problem averted.
Lyle Wetherholt
04 Intrigue 11740

I spent some quality time under my coach a while back looking for the kind of chafing you describe, Lyle. I found several places that needed to have some hose split and slipped over the hose or battery cable. Good idea to look for this kind of chafing under a coach. Look and you will find it.

George Harper
04 Allure

Hydraulic hose alert

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 41496
Good Posting;

Last year we weren't as fortunate and ruptured a hydraulic hose. Wanting to inform folks we had put the following post out shortly after the rupture. Now reading your Post thought to it may be helpful to do a repost. By the way we repositioned and added over a dozen protective covers as a preventative measure. It would be a really bad day to watch your Coach go up in smoke.

"All Coach Owners should read this. After a month on the road and traveling from Florida out West visiting the Canyons and the Rockies and having a great trip boosting just how great the Coach was running the trip was going real smooth until last night. On our way back to Florida yesterday [5pm]we blew the primary Hydraulic hose from the Cat engine to the Radiator Fan. Running I-24 into Chattanooga, Tenn coming out of the foothills Hydraulic Oil spraying the rear of the Coach and covering the Jeep in tow. Fortunately we were by an Exit and darted off to a Fuel Station. Unfortunately it was the night before the Fourth and everybody was shut down. Called Good Sams for RV service who got someone out to us in a couple of hours. In the meantime also called Country Coach in Oregon, told them I was broke down and did they have a list of dealers in the area. CC referred me to their Technical Group. A fellow named Jacob was absolutely awesome helping to locate someone in the area. He was calling everyone they knew to help get us back up and running. Even Service dealers that weren't CC. Ironically Jacob had located a business that did Hydraulic Hoses that was withing walking distance from where we broke down. Again unfortunately they were closed for the holiday and out of town. I was impressed that CC tried so hard to get us running. Great effort by Jacob. The repair guy that Goods Sams located showed up and worked his connections to get Catepillar [somewhere in Tenn] to open their shop which was also closed and build us a hose. Six hours after the ruture we were up and running, Thanks to a dedicated young Mechanic [Andy] who didn't want to see us broke down. NOW for the rest of the story and Owners, you may want to take action. The Hydraulic Hose that runs to the fan runs under the engine crossmember and is clamped to the member. Look under your Coach and you will see this group of hoses. Should Of Taken Action: I knew this wasn't a good setup from the time I took ownership of the Coach. The hoses rub against the metal structure and rubbed a hole in the hose. LESSON LEARNED, as a maintance guy I should of fixed this either by repositioning the hoses or installing a rubber sheath between the frame and the hoses. Never would of happened if I took action. Lucky I still have the Coach and the Oil did not spray on the Turbo and set the Coach on fire. You may want to check your Coach for the Same problem. Our Coach is an '02 Magna with a C12 Cat. Coach #6110".

Pete & Robin Sarno
Stuart, Florida
'02 Magna #6110

Quote from: George Harper
>

Hydraulic hose alert

Posted by: "Lyle Wetherholt" lylewet@... lylewet > Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:57 am (PDT)

Just finished installing a vent grill in my engine access door to > reduce the desert storm and increase engine cooling. In the process > checked for the forum recommended eight inch plate across the bottom > of the fan box and found serious chafing of the hydraulic hose to the > fan controller. This coach already had an extension of the fan box as > a factory installed item. The hose was resting on top of this steel > plate and was chafing on the edge of the plate. It was not so serious > as to require a new hose but we did install an insulated hose clamp to > protect it from the steel edge. A serious problem averted.
Lyle Wetherholt
04 Intrigue 11740

> I spent some quality time under my coach a while back looking for the
kind of chafing you describe, Lyle. I found several places that needed to have some hose split and slipped over the hose or battery cable. Good idea to look for this kind of chafing under a coach. Look and you will find it.

Re: Hydraulic hose alert

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 41503
Lyle - great post, I'll put this one on my list of things to check before my next trip.

Thanks for the heads up.

Mark P.

03 Allure #30916

Quote from: Lyle Wetherholt