Skip to main content
Topic: Biggest Concern if there is no more Country Coach (Read 777 times) previous topic - next topic

Biggest Concern if there is no more Country Coach

Yahoo Message Number: 43589
What would be your biggest concern if there was no more Country Coach? Exclude the obvious (warranty). How difficult would it be to own one? What other than end caps would be non-existent?

Adam

Still trying to justify buying a Country Coach

Re: Biggest Concern if there is no more Country Coach

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 43591
Quote from: adamhart888

> What would be your biggest concern if there was no more Country Coach? > Exclude the obvious (warranty). How difficult would it be to own one? > What other than end caps would be non-existent? >

Adam

Still trying to justify buying a Country Coach >
Just an opinion. 1st how old a coach? if more then 2 years I don't think it will matter as regards any issues and will depend on how much the coach would cost. I feel the coaches are way over priced as of late. I have a 2005 which retailed for $280. The 06 went up to $340 prox. That was for an Inspire 36' 4 slides 400 cat. It has been a good coach basically. I was able to make an acceptible deal with Lazydays. Problems - many windows, hydraulic hose, replace bedroom slide cracking and checking. No engine problems as yet and don't expect any but. I have been RVing for many a year back to the 50's.
They have all been problems and costly. But it is only money. If you can approach it from that angle - the CC is the best I have had but so is the money. Good luck. Buy cheap and don't worry about it.

Glenn De Vries 31580 Inspire

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 43593
Aside from not being able to upgrade someday to another CC, my greatest concern is if there were an accident and the front/rear cap had to be replaced. Secondary concern is access to their techs by phone which has always been great. If I were buying and could get the right price I would still buy the CC. The only CC manufacturered - unique items (other than woodwork) are the chassis and the caps/bat doors. On the chassis all components are from 3rd parties anyway.
Ref service, we don't/won't go to any dealer for service and for general service usually go to a Coach Care.

What would be your biggest concern if there was no more Country

Coach?

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 43596
Adam... Gordo here.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over whether or not CC closes. If they do, someone will pick up the name plate and carry on when times become better in 2010. MoHo manufactures have come and gone throughout the years. The better nameplates have never really left us. Someone with the skills will pick up where CC left off. They will buy the nameplate... CC will never really die off. The nameplate is just to good to let die.

The new owners might have a different vision for our beloved CC.
Building smaller high line units might work. Safari Motor Coach comes to mind in the early 90's with the Trek model (14 MPG wasn't bad back then). The molds will most likely be stored and warehoused till needed or sold off to a smart investor who knows the numbers of units out there. Parts are parts and like myself, I had a shop make a rear shock mounting CC wanted me to wait for a month to ship. So having something break will involve this list of CC owners knowing who and where parts can be had or made.

Life goes on, this is a blip on the radar screen. The CC list will do its best to pick up where the factory left off, should it close at all. There are some rather ingenues owners out there. Some great CC buys too.

Gordo

99 Allure 30344

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 43597
ygrps-yiv-1885241450 v0003a* { }

ygrps-yiv-1885241450 v0003a* { } We own a '93 Magna and have owned SOBs in the past. There's no comparison! If you're handy, as Vern is, there are opportunities to "do-it-yourself" with many talented and caring people available through this forum to offer input. There are also numerous facilities that have been recommended by members to deal with "problems." So, it would seem that the only serious problem with owning a CC is the warranty availability, which is a big one to be sure, but IMHO, well worth it. Hope to welcome you into the "family" soon.
Vern and Glenda Serex
'93 Magna #5008

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 43601
I agree! This forum and several others have assisted us in "fixing" things. Actually CC coach tech has assisted by giving me supplier part numbers for parts that we needed. If that goes away, it just makes things more difficult to find. Sometimes the manufacturer is on the old part (sometimes not). It would be nice that if CC folds, they would someway make available that information. If CCI stays intact, maybe they could handle that. I would be willing to pay for the convenience.

Let's hope that CC survives.

Judy n Joe

98 Intrigue 10578

Quote from: Glenda
We own a '93 Magna and have owned SOBs in the past. There's no

comparison!

If you're handy, as Vern is, there are opportunities to "do-it-

yourself"

with many talented and caring people available through this forum

to offer

input. There are also numerous facilities that have been
recommended by

members to deal with "problems." So, it would seem that the only

serious

problem with owning a CC is the warranty availability, which is a

big one to

be sure, but IMHO, well worth it. Hope to welcome you into

the "family"

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 43604
> > What would be your biggest concern if there was no more Country Coach? > Exclude the obvious (warranty). How difficult would it be to own one? > What other than end caps would be non-existent? >

Adam

Still trying to justify buying a Country Coach >
Adam, There are no "warranties" in life. You could buy any brand coach and have the company close their doors in these hard times. Check into extended warranties. Check out the repair shops in your area that work on Rvs and see what they say about extended warranty companies? I like the one through Good Sam's Club. The forum also is a great place to get help if you are a "Mr. Fix-it" type person. Buy something you like and hope like all of us do? that you won't need a warranty. We didn't on our last coach.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 43612
What would be your biggest concern if there was no more Country Coach? Exclude the obvious (warranty). How difficult would it be to own one? What other than end caps would be non-existent?

Adam

Still trying to justify buying a Country Coach

I bought my previous coach, a 1989 Overland, when Mallard went broke because I thought I could get a good deal on a high end diesel pusher. I did. I kept the coach for 13 years and it looked almost new when I sold it in 2006 to buy my CC.
I had no problems keeping it in tip top shape during those 13 years. If you think about it, you will realize that someone else makes all the components. It was my hobby to research and find out who made a component I was having problems with and replace that component. I went to Detroit Diesel for engine work and Allison for transmission work.
For the past two years I have really enjoyed a coach that had manufacturer support, but it has only been an unnecessary but luxurious perk. I will do fine for the next 13 years and I believe other CC owners will too.

George Harper
04 Allure

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 43614
What would be your biggest concern if there was no more Country

Coach?

In my opinion, the only real concern is the availability of information and I think that there are some organizations already in place to provide that info and qualified service- e.g., Bob Lee's facility in Oregon, and he's certainly not the only one.
I would like to see the company re-structure and carry on in business but if it doesn't happen I don't really think that my enjoyment of the coach and of the RV lifestyle will be diminished.

Ever since I bought this coach it has never been in one place for more than 1 month so I don't really depend on any one service facility for help. I think most owners are in the same position - we are able to get what we need to solve our problems one way or another. If a person is willing to embark on these "voyages" they are probably somewhat independent in any case and that helps when issues occur.

ROwen '05 Inspire

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 43615
Mr. Owen raises an interesting point. Many of the responders to the original question of what they thought might be the single biggest concern, mentioned the availability of front and end caps. I wonder if Bob Lee's new facility will at least be able to locate these (and perhaps other relatively unique parts) for CC owners should CC cease to exist? I think knowing that Bob might be able to get these components would put a lot us owners more at ease - at least it would help alleviate some of my concerns. Anyone up in that area of the woods care to stop by Bob's new shop and ask the question and post to our board? TIA.
Harry

06 Inspire 51933

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 43634
First, I hope that Country Coach doesn't go down - I want to own a special one someday, but reality is that many big and small companies won't make it through this extended recession.

Owning an "orphan" SOB RV - your major concerns are information and [as someone has already mentioned] the front and rear moldings. NRV castings and molds were sold to Monaco and even though it was a Chapter 11 filing, the company was substantially liquidated several months after it went down.
Good Sams offered myself and many of the newer NRV owners an extended 3 year CSP policy for almost the same price as I was quoted for one year just before NRV went down. Should the filing happen, I would think that the newer CC owners will probably be offered a similar deal. While I haven't used it [yet], I sleep better knowing that something major would be covered.
On the NRV board, we gathered as much information as we could from the NRV website [Monaco has since taken the site down and forwarded you to their site] including specs, vendor and parts lists, plumbing and electrical diagrams, etc. that anyone had been given over the years by customer service, and have stored them in the files area of the board. We also have been very fortunate to have several former customer service and service center managers monitor the board to help owners.
Again, hope it doesn't happen, but the "window" to get the above done is short.

Tom (and Sally) Bernardi, Odessa FL '07 National RV TropiCal LX 35' / Freightliner Chassis / 350HP CaterpillarĀ® C7 turbo / '06 Honda CRV SE A/T
www.bernardihome.com/Home.htm

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 43649
Good Topic... my opinion is like some of the folks: No CC Tech Support. Another is Body Panels.. The Metal Panels would be hard to find but Fiberglass can easily be repaired or duplicated by a good body shop. My biggest concern is this Website! Through the years I have gotten so much info from CC Owners Group Forum it's unbelievable! If I could not find it here I would search some of the other MotorCoach Forums. CC's are well made Coaches that will last beyond our ability to drive them, that is if you stay on top of doing maintenance etc. Example is our '02 Magna with 97,000+ miles on it.

Pete & Robin Sarno
Stuart, Fla
'02 Magna #6110