Skip to main content
Topic: How Do You Lubricate a Driveshaft? (Read 464 times) previous topic - next topic

How Do You Lubricate a Driveshaft?

Yahoo Message Number: 44193
I decided to service the coach myself this year. I am not a mechanic but all went well until I got to the drive shaft. The Chassis Lubrication Points and Intervals chart in the manual that came with the coach suggest that the drive shaft slip joint needs to be lubricated.
The slip joint is covered with a rubber boot held in place with a steel band on each end. The steel bands look like they have a one time use.
Does anyone know:
1.   Is it necessary to lubricate this slip joint?
2.   If so, how does one go about removing and replacing the bands?
I would have addressed these questions with the techs at Country Coach but there is no one there to talk to these days.

David LeBlanc
04 Intrigue 11775

Re: How Do You Lubricate a Driveshaft?

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 44194
Hi David, My Intrigue also has that type of drive shaft. Mine has a label on it that says something like "Lubed for Life". I called the manufacturer (can't remember if it was Dana or Meritor) and they said it did not have to be lubricated. Mines a year older than yours and so far I have had no trouble with the drive shaft.

Earl Densten

03 Intrigue 11554

Quote from: djleblanc070260
>

I decided to service the coach myself this year. I am not a

mechanic

but all went well until I got to the drive shaft. The Chassis > Lubrication Points and Intervals chart in the manual that came with

the

coach suggest that the drive shaft slip joint needs to be

lubricated.

The slip joint is covered with a rubber boot held in place with a

steel

band on each end. The steel bands look like they have a one time

use.

Does anyone know:

1.   Is it necessary to lubricate this slip joint? > 2.   If so, how does one go about removing and replacing the bands? > I would have addressed these questions with the techs at Country

Coach

Re: How Do You Lubricate a Driveshaft?

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 44199
Earl:

Thank you. That is exactly what I hoped someone would tell me. Now I will consider the job done.
David LeBlanc
04 Intrigue 11775