Skip to main content
Topic: Digital TV again (Read 656 times) previous topic - next topic

Digital TV again

Yahoo Message Number: 45004
Hi All,

Time for us to go digital.

We have a 2001 Intrigue. 20" Panasonic TV.
I intend simply removing the old battleship from the overhead cabinet and replacing it with the largest LCD that will fit in.
I have a bad back and a not so good heart so I want to do it all in one go. (Lifting it out in one easy movement). Can anyone tell me what connections I can expect to find at the back that I need to disconnect?

I'm not worried about the rear or basement TV's at this stage.
What does one do with an old TV set? Maybe if I leave it outside and get lucky someone may steal it!

Thanks

Bruce

2001 Intrigue #11278

Re: Digital TV again

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 45005
You will need to remove the power cord, coax connection, posibly an audio connection. Try to find someone who can mount a flat tv, over the hole, and put it on a tip out or up. Your original tv antenna will work quite well, and then just scan for available channels as you travel

Dale Morris
2000 Affinity
DMS rv satellite

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 45006
I had a big problem with trash/dumping the big TV's in the coach. Found that Winegard was selling a very small size converter box. If my memory is good (good and bad days) a thin 1 1/4 inch thick, square in shape, cooling holes on side. In both TV locations a cutout and mount worked in the space above the TV. Wiring is a no brainier and power is taken from the outlet the TV is using. Cutting the hole is the scary part...use the old rule of measure twice and cut once. On the front TV a cut was required in the padded leatherette. I did a "X" cut which allowed the material to wrap around the cut out and stapled it in place. This gives the appearance custom built in. Both TV's were reinstalled in there original locations. My total cost to go digital was under $100.
AL

00 affinity #5851

A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy steps!

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 45007
Hi Bruce.

I have a 2002 Allure and I just did mine yesterday. I would imagine yours is similar. I found a 22" Samsung, Model LN22A450C1D at Best Buy that fit rather nicely. It is about 22'' wide but it's only 18" high, with its stand, so it will not fill the vertical space, but none of them will. For now I have mine mounted on its stand and I was able to put the original frame back up and the installation is not at all unsightly. I plan to put a "false wall" in the existing cabinet and then attatch the new TV to it using a wall mount, also purchased at Best Buy. Right now the TV is not stable enough for travel.
Removal of the old TV is not difficult although it is bulky and a tad heavy. Once you remove the four screws holding the frame on, the TV can be removed - there is nothing but gravity holding it in the cabinet. If you are lucky the cables will be long enough to set the tv on the stearing wheel while you disconnect the cables. Otherwise you have to balance the TV with one hand and remove the cables with the other, or get a helper. The number of connections depends on your set-up.
Orignially there was only three - the AC power cord, one coax cable running to the input switch and one audio cable, which has left and right wires. I had previously installed a DVD player in mine so I had another audio cable and a S-Video cable. But I think that is all the jacks on the back of the Panasonic TV, so that is the max. Getting the old TV out of the motor home was almost more difficult because it barely fits through the door!

Once the TV is out, I found that I had to remove a wooden spacer block on each side of the cabinet and shave about 3/8" off one of the furring strips that are mounted inside the cabinet to keep the old TV from moving around. A claw hammer and a 3in1 painters tool (no chisel in my tool bag) was all that I needed to get the job done. Once these were out, the Samsung TV fit very nicely in the cabinet. Connect the coax to the antennal input, the DVD player if you have one and the audio cables to the audio output jacks. I put the old frame back on and pulled the flat screen forward as far as it would go - the frame will keep it from falling out, but it will rock in the cabinet as it is. Thus the reason for the wall bracket.

The only glitch in the whole process is the volume control on the new TV does not control the signal going to the audio output jacks and therefore the output from the coach's semi-sourround sound system is at one volume level - too loud. The new set up assumes that the external audio system has its own volume controls. Quite logical, but not so in my motor home. For now I am using the built in speakers, which leave a lot to be desired.

In the bedroom, I am going to use the exact same TV, but I am going to mount it on the outside of the cabinet. That cabinet is quite small about 16" as I recall, but there is about 2 3/4" of usable space on each side, so there is space for the 22" TV. Without the stand its about 16" high, which just fits the space. The flat panels, even with the wall mount only set about 3 1/2" off the wall, so I am going to mount a 3/4" plywood panel on the inside of the cabinet opening to close it. Then the wall mount will go on the plywood and the TV will mount on it. It will completely cover the original opening as well as the screw holes where other cabinet frame used to be. The only sacrifice here is the IR receiver that permitted control of the VCR from the bedroom. We never used that anyway.

Getting rid of the old TV - good luck. I doubt they have any theft value, although they will continue to work if a person has cable service. I'm taking the larger one back to my home and will install it in my study. Don't really care if CNBC, Fox News and TWC are in HD or not!!

Good luck with your project and you will enjoy the new TV!!

Bob Amory

2002 Allure 30760

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 45010
When we purchased a digital TV at Best Buy in California recently we were charged $8.00 as a mandatory telvision disposal cost. We were told it was a California law. We did not hand in an old TV........I wonder if BB would take an old set if they are charging the fee?
There are a couple of other opportunities to dispose of old sets. If they will still work on cable or satellite you could try local thrift stores or habitat stores. These sets are still perfectly OK for cable or satellite. I have twenty year old Sony working perfectly with DirecTV.
Second, some municipal transfer stations or disposal sites have drop off locations for old TV's. They may or may not charge a fee.
Habitat thrift stores are a good choice of one is near you. Salvation Army is another possibility, or you could put it out near the curb wit a big sign "Do not remove". It'll be gone on sixty seconds!

Hope that helps. David 31383

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 45014
I agree with David - The thrift stores are an option for the old TV.
Another option for you - When Davis Cabinets redid our 2000 Allure with a new TV, I asked them to load the old TV into the back of the Jeep and I took it to a local church and gave it to them. They were thrilled to get it and I was happy to give it to a good cause.

Kathy

2000 Allure #30536

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 45017
Quote from: b.treloar"
Put a sign on it 'Free', it will be there forever, 'For Sale' $50.00, it will be gone in no time.:- )
Gil

'05 Inspire

What does one do with an old TV set? Maybe if I leave it outside and > get lucky someone may steal it!

Thanks

Bruce

2001 Intrigue #11278

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 45021
I just read this morning on their website that Best Buy will recycle old tv's for everybody but I think the largest they would take without you buying a new one from them was 32". I think if they were delivering a new set to you they would take any size. Check their website as I did this am when sleep wasn't working. They also take lots of other dead or living electronics and sometimes will give you a cash card.

Good Luck,
Kathy

'06 Inspire #51782

A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy steps!