Skip to main content
Topic: Black tank odors (Read 666 times) previous topic - next topic

Black tank odors

Yahoo Message Number: 47963
Something new has been added to addle my elderly brain.
At times, not always, about 15 minutes after we get on the road, we get a strong septic odor in the coach. The odor dissipates after 10 to 15 minutes and all is fine.

Level of black tank has no effect in causing odor.
Where do I start looking (perhaps smelling would be more appropriate)?

As always, thanks in advance.

George

'04 Inspire 51061

Re: Black tank odors

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 47969
We had that problem and finally isolated it to the grey tank. I couldn't believe that a grey tank could smell that bad. I verified it by getting on top and sniffing both vents (yes, I've become a vent sniffer). After extensive rinsing and cleaning with a full bottle of dawn dish soap (the largest bottle) a few times, our odors finally went away. I now rinse the grey tank at least three times after a trip and no more odors. I also changed the vents under the kitchen and bathroom sinks, but initially still had odors. I also sealed the vent pipes on top, but still got odors. The odors only dissipated after I cleaned the tank(s) several times over a few months with many bottles of dawn. We now wipe our plates with paper towels before washing so no food gets into the grey tank.

Larry 03 Allure 30856

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 47972
Hi Larry,

You might want to check if there is water in the "P" trap for the W/D drain. The trap will dry out if the W/D is not used regularly.

At Red Bluff RV Park,

Chuck & Mary B

Shelby Dog, Miss Kitty, Mr Lucky Cat

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 47977
We had exactly that same problem and put "360 vents" on the grey and black tank vents - no more problem.

Al Colby

2000 Intrigue 10979

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 47978
Al,
Thanks, I actually have two of the 360s sitting in the coach. We're away now and I didn't want to start the project until I get home.
Any idea of why it happens only some of the time?
George
'04 Inspire 51061

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 47985
Hi George,

A lot of my time is eaten up with "honey doo projects".
At Red Bluff RV Park,

Chuck & Mary B

Shelby Dog, Miss Kitty, Mr Lucky Cat

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 47987

I have only 1 vent pipe for both tanks and it happened mostly when I had the drivers window open. Put the 360 vent top on and solved the problem. Barrie Boas 94 Concept 5111

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 47991
Empty tank, fill about 1/2 with clean water, add 1 gallon household bleach, drive around for about a half hour, drain and rinse.
Bleach kills just about anything that can produce an odor. We bought a pre-owned Inspire years back - took two bleach cleanings to get it done after trying about three less effective methods. Bleach does work, DO NOT MIX IT WITH ANYTHING ELSE!
Sorry for shouting but violent chemical reactions in a holding tank are not good.

Bob Handren
Inspire 51178

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 47993
With all the potions being mentioned I'm surprised no one has mentioned the value of liquid Ridex. In six years of motorhoming that is the one and only additive we have put in our gray and black tanks after dumping. Period. The only time we get a smell is when the W/D trap goes dry.

Two caps full after dumping. Eats the bad boys biologically, controls solids build-up and keeps on working.
All those chemicals kill everything and only allow the smelly stuff to regrow.

Lee Z

2007 Intrigue

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 48014
I've heard folks recommend Rid-ex fpr RV holding tanks but we don't use it because it is intended for stationary septic tanks that take at least weeks to develop into a working system. It might be helpful, but we don't leave "stuff" in the tanks long enough to establish the septic balance, which Rid-ex is supposed to help maintain. Many recommend using nothing in septic tanks and we actually have only short term holding tanks in our coaches. I'd just be donating the Ridex treatment to the campground septic system which isn't a bad thing, just not doing me much good and I'd rather save my money for a nice dinner. (Since we're on such an appetizing subject.)
We don't use anything in our tanks these days except maybe some Tang, which is only acting as a deodorant really. Several have posted they use nothing. If we keep the tanks free of accumulated junk by routinely using the built-in tank cleaner we already have we don't get any odors and don't spend anything on treatments. I didn't think using nothing would work having spent money for decades on Thetford and other products but using nothing (or next to it) we don't perceive any more odors than when we spent money on chemicals. I suspect chemicals may make sense more for recirculating toilets where a strong deodorant might be desirable. As I've only owned a septic tank with a home once I have limited experience with them. But comments from folks who should know and a search of the Internet brings up a lot of recommendations to not use Rid-ex or anything else as it can cause problems. Whatever, I do know a "healthy" septic system needs nothing as the bugs eat up what goes in and they can do so for decades with aboslutely no treatments of any kind. Septic tanks don't have much in common with holding tanks except what goes in. They serve very different purposes.
We don't use bleach. I was describing how we cleaned up someone else's mess that we inherited. Never used it before and haven't since but it did the job and did so pretty cheaply.

Bob Handren
Inspire 51178

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 48017
I will go part way with Bob Handren on his good response.
All those chemicals that the RV products industry tries to sell you are a waste of money.
We put 2 caps of Rid-ex in our empty tank, that's perhaps 1/2 an ounce, which kick starts the enzymatic activity. Also, we all have occasion to have the rig sitting for extended times. Knowing there is a dose of Rid-ex helping to work on whatever might be remaining in a corner of the tank is a good thing.
As for " recommendations to not use Rid-ex" I keep hearing that but have not seen a good explanation of what actual harm is caused. I keep asking myself "how could adding 1/2 oz. of Rid-ex to encourage good enzymatic activity in a plastic tank be harmful?"
As for my added expense, maybe a hamburger at McDonald's once a year . . .but I like fries too and hate eating alone.
--

Lee Zaborowski touring Minnesota & Wisconsin Intrigue #12153

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 48027
The best explanation I have seen indicates that septic tanks were developed about 1860 and as there were no companies developed to sell anything for them until well into the 20th century they workled well all by themselves for a awful long time.
The reason I have read not to use anything, particluarly Rid-ex is it disturbs the layers established in a correctly working septic tank. There are apparently three layers, solids on the bottom, a layer of clear water and a remainder that floats on top. Adding certain (not all) chemicals disturbs this layering and mixes the materials so that clean water can not flow into the drainage field and the system stops working altogether. So as the tank continues to fill the mixed materials (nasty) now enter the drainage field requiring at least a pumpout or even replacment of the septic tank. The general word is leave them alone, don't add anything and don't put in solid obkects, large amounts of grease, microbiological poisons, etc. If you read the fine print on even the chemicals designed for RV tanks they tell you it takes at least a week to work. When traveling we dump far more frequently than that and if parked the black tank can last that long - but there will be lots of less than one week old material in there.
I am not an expert, just found this with a Google search plus some background/education in biology, microbiology, chemistry, small ecosystems and the like. Our holding tanks never get to the point of being any kind of septic system. Sepsis means there lots of live bugs doing their job. That is all that is needed for the septic tank to performs its function.
I doubt the RId-ex is doing anything bad to an RV system. If the tank is properly flushed there is nothing for the enzymes to act on (if there are really enzymes in there - never seen a listing of clearly described ingredients and couldn't find one with a quick search). If you let the black tank dry out or some other nasty scenario it may take more than some enzymes to get things cleaned out.
I just don't see the basis for using Rid-ex which isn't even designed for our tanks but a very different system. RV tanks should need nothing as long as they are kept properly clean. Bob HandrenInspire 51178 --- On Mon, 5/25/09, Lee Zaborowski wrote: From: Lee Zaborowski Subject: Re: [Country-Coach-Owners] Re: Black tank odorsTo: Country-Coach-Owners@yahoogroups.comDate: Monday, May 25, 2009, 4:41 PM I will go part way with Bob Handren on his good response. All those chemicals that the RV products industry tries to sell you are a waste of money. We put 2 caps of Rid-ex in our empty tank, that's perhaps 1/2 an ounce, which kick starts the enzymatic activity. Also, we all have occasion to have the rig sitting for extended times. Knowing there is a dose of Rid-ex helping to work on whatever might be remaining in a corner of the tank is a good thing. As for " recommendations to not use Rid-ex" I keep hearing that but have not seen a good explanation of what actual harm is caused. I keep asking myself "how could adding 1/2 oz. of Rid-ex to encourage good enzymatic activity in a plastic tank be harmful?"As for my added expense, maybe a hamburger at McDonald's once a year . . .but I like fries too and hate eating alone.-- Lee Zaborowski touring Minnesota & WisconsinIntrigue #12153