Skip to main content
Topic: Advice on Taking Route 2 across MN, ND, MT, ID WA (Read 523 times) previous topic - next topic

Advice on Taking Route 2 across MN, ND, MT, ID WA

Yahoo Message Number: 48315
We are considering the northern Route on Rt. 2 from Grand Rapids, MN to Spokane, WA in August. It is mostly divided Hwy in MN and ND, probably most challenging after that, plus the mountains.
Any advice and/or problems on using this route, or alternatives would be appreciated?! Looks like a beautiful way to go west.

--

Lee Zaborowski
Intrigue #12153

Re: Advice on Taking Route 2 across MN, ND, MT, ID WA

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 48318

Lee I'd say your assumption is correct, being from MN Route 2 is great, yes a divided highway much of the way in MN to the ND border.
Through ND not sure, never traveled. If Route 2 gets bad drop down to Bismarck using 83 to Interstate 94, 94 is a fantastic road though Montana, smooth as silk.
Looking at the map, Route 2 looks like a nice run, several years ago a client made the same run from Minneapolis to White Fish Montana, remember him referring to the poker stops along the way in Montana, however they were traveling in an automoblie, he did say nice route if you have the time.
Here's a good site http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/nhs/ for maps.
Being from Minnesota it's exciting to see someone posting or passing through Minnesota.
Mike 51795

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 48320
Lee, A couple of years ago I went back to FMCA in Charlotte N.C. I decided to go East on #2 instead of going farther south to I90. It was a great trip. I started at Shelby MT and went across to MN. The road was great, not as many trucks as on the interstate and I would go that way again.
John F.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 48333
Quote from: Lee Zaborowski

> We are considering the northern Route on Rt. 2 from Grand Rapids, MN > to Spokane, WA in August. It is mostly divided Hwy in MN and ND, > probably most challenging after that, plus the mountains.
> Any advice and/or problems on using this route, or alternatives would > be appreciated?! Looks like a beautiful way to go west.

--

Lee Zaborowski
Intrigue #12153

Lee:

Two years ago we took a trip all the way around the country. We hit 27 states in 47 days.
We used route 2 from Mackinaw Machigan as far west as Minot ND. We compared going from Minot to Spokane WA via Boise ID vs taking Route 2 all the way and went via Boise. It was a mistake.
We liked the route so much we look forward to doing it again but will stay on route 2.
While on 2, be sure to stop at the KOA at Bimidge Minnesota and visit Lake Itaska an see the start of the Mississioppi river.
It is a low pressure drive over decient roads. Enjoy

James Green Intrigue 11021 103,000 + miles "Rollingghetto"

Advice on Taking Route 2 across MN, ND, MT, ID WA

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 48355
Enjoy we took that route several years back and matter of fact we are going to do it again this year in July.

Take care and don't forget to make lots of stops and smell the roses.

Al

03 Magna