Skip to main content
Topic: Hurricane working (Read 4960 times) previous topic - next topic

Hurricane working

Yahoo Message Number: 3361
Hi all

Since I complained about my Hurricane not working, I guess I should let you know when it is working.

I took my coach to Freedom RV, Denver, CO, last Friday (11/22/02) after the board showed a code of "2" which means that is a fuse blown. Freedom RV (Rick Chek) and Hurricane (Jim Rixen) spend a lot of time talking on the phone and finally decided that the air compressor, fuel pump or one of several additional items may be pulling too many amps and causing the Main fuse to blow.

Freedom RV did amp readings on the above mentioned items, and saw that the air compressor was pulling too many amps, and may be the trouble maker. Well, to make a long story short, it was the air compressor. The brushes on the motor broke off at the tip of the brushes and caused the air compressor to short itself, and cause the fuse to blow. A new air compressor was installed on Friday and it has worked great ever since. (I am holding my breath)

The temperature last night was 6 and it is nice to have a Hurricane that is working again.

Tom Royer

2003 Allure 30858

Hurricane

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 3426
Craig,

On your reply about the Hurricane heater you failed to mention that most of the Country coaches have a thermostat in the plumbing bay also and that will cause the heater to come on even when you are not calling for heat in the coach. We sleep with the hurricane set at around 50 but I hear the hurricane come on even when we don't need heat in the coach.

Bill G. 2001 Magna 5998

Re: Hurricane

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 3428
In case someone hasn't run into this yet..... on my coach the thermostat in the plumbing bay was set much too low to stay above freezing. The first time I ran into really cold weather my bay dropped to 28-29 degrees. (I installed a remote thermometer in that bay) It took me a few trips outside in 10 degree weather to get it set properly. It's difficult enough to read the calibrations when the weather is relatively warm and daylight out..... I had to do it at night.

My point is....... check your setting.

Dick May

2002 Intrigue, #11438
Dick May
2002 Intrigue, #11438, towing a
2014 Jeep Gr Cherokee ecoDiesel

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 3430
That's true, but the intent of that thermostat is to provide freeze protection. If it is coming on when that protection is not needed, then the t-stat is probably set too high. It is adjustable and should be set to around 38 degrees

Craig

Hurricane

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 4935
Yesterday I stopped by Guaranty in JC. Looked at the latest Allures and Margna's. CC has changed heating systems to Hydro-Hot. That sure doesnt bode well for those of us out there that have the Hurricane 45XL. Wonder if the Hydro-Hot is a lot better product. Gary '03 Allure 30872

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 4944
Gary,

Hurricane and HydroHot are very similar systems.
There's a rough comparison in the file section of the Diesel-RVs group here on Yahoo. You find it at "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Diesel-RVs/files/Comparisons/" . Click on "Heating Systems" to see the text file.

I had a motorhome with the HydroHot and liked it very much for its relatively small size, quiet operation and the even distribution of heat throughout the motorhome. The same could be said about the Hurricane. The AquaHot is significantly bigger and louder, and Webasto is a much more basic system.

Webasto, HydroHot and AquaHot are all distributed by Vehicle Systems. I don't have data to prove this but I guess that there are more mechanics in RV shops, truck shops and commercial bus shops who know Webasto-type systems than there are mechanics who are familiar with Hurricane.

I don't think you have to worry.

Regards,
Jeff

"gwallstrom" wrote:

Yesterday I stopped by Guaranty in JC. Looked at the > latest Allures

and Margna's. CC has changed heating systems to > Hydro-Hot. That sure

doesnt bode well for those of us out there that have > the Hurricane

45XL. Wonder if the Hydro-Hot is a lot better > product. Gary '03
Allure 30872
The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo.
http://search.yahoo.com

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 4960
I think the basic Hurricane system is dependable IF it includes the necessary overheat protection and IF they have their control board issues solved. Even after ours burned, I am still considering putting one on my boat next month. However, the issue of the non-functioning electric heat elements has still to be solved. Also, ignore the hour ratings on the pumps and carry spares. The fuel pump on our replacement unit burned out at 7 hours. It took several hours to change, but a day to find parts out in the desert!
Our most serious remaining problem is that CC did not design the system correctly. To get a cup of hot water, the diesel has to fire. There should be a holding tank, 6 to 12 gallons, with the domestic hot water thermostat. As it is with no reservoir, as soon as the tiny heat exchange unit cools, the diesel has to fire. Of course if the system is on shore power, and if the electric side works properly, the electricity should handle moderate use.
We are waiting to see if CC feels responsible enough to fix the system. If not, we will add the missing tank ourselves. It will be very similar to our boat system which works perfectly. If anyone has already solved this faulty design, we would like some advice.
Doug Rosenberg 30929

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 5041
I find this very disturbing! (the danger... not the switch to a better system)
Has anyone suffered damage from their Hurricane? Who paid for the repairs? Has anyone had their system changed to another manufacturer?
Dick May

2002 Intrigue, #11438

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 5067
Dick,

My Intrigue is #11451 I have not had any problems is the Hurricane, except for having the muffler come off I drilled a hole in pipe and screwed it on. I think the heaters installed in our vintage CC's are not affected by the recall, mine is not used to heat domestic hot water. Is yours? I have a gas/electric hot water heater which I think is a better installation. I think when CC went to using the hurricane to make domestic hot water they made a mistake.
Gary INtrigue#11451

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 5070
Hi Dick and Gary

I think so too. My Hurricane was a 4+ job in heating our Intrigue #11419. Glad I have to combo gas/electric hot water too. Gosh - are our Intrigues already vintage???? I'd hate to get a new coach and go thru the new motorhome hassles again.

Tom

Intrigue #11419 - and love it.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 5078
Gary,

Re: Hurricane System Design:

You are correct that CC made a mistake when they went to domestic water heating with the Hurricane, but mostly because they did not include a separate holding tank. Therefore, whenever a hot water tap is opened, the diesel has to fire. This may be somewhat alleviated by the electric elements if they are working, which is not the case with mine. I am very familiar with similar installations on boats and they work very well. They also use 1 or 2 intermediate tanks.
In our installation, without the holding tank, engine heat is also wasted. It circulates through the 1 1/2 gallon exchange tank, but that does not store enough to do much good. And since the domestic water depends on a pocketbook-sized heat exchanger, the engine heat does no good. On our boat, latent engine heat will provide all domestic needs for dishes, several showers, and still be hot in the morning. It is all a matter a design that stores enough gallons, whether the heat is provided by the diesel, electric, or engine systems.
Our coach will go back to CC next week. I'll let you know the result.
Doug Rosenberg 2003 Allure [with a Hurricane that did suffer a melt-down]

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 5089
Hi, Gary.
I had the same problem with the Hurricane muffler and CC solved it the same way. Other than that I think the system is great. I have the same water heater as you and think that is a much better system.... at least better that what CC is using now. Some day they will find a better furnace/water heater solution.
Dick May

2002 Intrigue, #11438

"The problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you are finished."

Hurricane

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 5490
I have a new problem which is really puzzling. My coach has been parked for about three weeks with the passenger side catching alot of sun. I noticed the other day a puddle of coolant under the Hurricane bay and discovered coolant had backed up into the overflow tank and it had run over. In normal operation the tank is about one-third full. Is it conceivable that the temp inside that compartment exceeded the temp when the unit is operating?

Walt Rothermel
03Allure30811

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 5499
Spiker1029@... wrote: the passenger side catching alot of sun. I noticed the other day a puddle of coolant under the Hurricane bay and discovered coolant had backed up into the overflow tank and it had run over. In normal operation the tank is about one-third full. Is it conceivable that the temp inside that compartment exceeded the temp when the unit is operating? >>

Walt,

your Hurricane works very similarly to the HydroHot I used to have in my last motorhome. When the system is not in use, the coolant level in the overflow reservoir is about 1" high. When the system is in operation, that level may climb up to about 1/2" from the top of the reservoir. If you have the "milky" plastic reservoir you can see the level through the plastic.

The coolant must expand significantly to fill that reservoir and overflow. Heat will do that. I doubt though that it got so hot in your bay that the level want from about 1" to "overflow" during the day.

Actions:

Step 1: Check fluid level when the system is NOT in use. I suggest you do that early in the morning before the sun has a chance to heat the bay up again.
Step 2: Call the manufacturer's customer service department, or call one of their partners (see "http://www.hurricaneheater.ca/partners.htm" for a list) and tell them the level you found in step 1.
Take it from there.

Based on the fluid level when the system is NOT running, they can determine if you have too much fluid to start with. I don't know the 2003 model you have but assume that there are few differences between your system and mine.

Of course, you may also want to call your dealer but I found I got soooo much more useful information talking to the manufactuer's cust.svc. reps that a call to the dealer was hardly worth the effort. Your experience may be different with your dealer.

Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 5500
Thanks for the advice. I do have the milky tank and it is normally about 1/3 full when the unit is not in use. My unit is the one with the "instant" hot water heater and no tank. It has been working beautifully since the last re-call, and I believe this episode of coolant overflow is probably due to heat buildup from the sun.

Walt Rothermel
03Allure30811

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 5515
Spiker1029@... wrote: about 1/3 full when the unit is not in use. >>

I can't say for sure because I don't know if you really have the same size tank I remember from my former motorhome - but "about 1/3 full when the unit is not in use" sounds like too much fluid to me.

You already had the system overflow. If it doesn't happen again, the fluid level may now be low enough.
If it does happen again, we're still not sure if you just have still too much fluid, or if there is a more serious problem that needs to be dealt with. You may want to find out soon before more damage occurs and while the motorhome is still under warranty.

Good luck !
Jeff

Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

Hurricane

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 5697
As response to a number of requests I will detail the problems we have had with the Hurricane on our 03 Allure. A few weeks after taking delivery, the hurricane burned while the unit was sitting against our house [in the middle of a forest]. Fortunately both pump wires dropped onto the case and shorted our killing the pump. Otherwise the coach would have burned [as happened to one other coach], the house most certainly would have burned, and probably the surrounding forest. So we are very disgusted that we never received a recall notice as others did. Still don't know if that fault lies with Hurricane or CC.
We made an appointment with Guaranty, the dealer in JC, planning to get the unit replaced at the beginning of a trip. Guaranty was not ready for us, knew nothing of the problem, and then stopped the CC tech from installing a new one that he was preparing at the factory. They apparently did not want to lose the revenue, even though they had no idea how to fix the old unit or how to install a new one. The result was a loss of 5 days of our vacation. When returning to get the coach on a Saturday when it was supposed to be finished, it was barely started. The dealer employee hadn't shown up and no one was going to bother with it. Fortunately Jake Smith from CC dropped by to make sure it had been finished. He and I finished it. Can't say enough good about him. Can't say enough bad about the dealer!
The first night I noticed that the circulation pump was running steady. After several days of pulling the wires to shut it off, CC tech helped me find a jumper on the circuit board to remove. Pump was very hot and smelling when first discovered, but still functioning. The electric fuel pump died after 7 hours. As I was in the corner of Utah about a hundred miles from nowhere, it took a couple of days to get a pump, and a few hours to change it and purge the fuel system. Recommend everyone carry a spare. Next we found that the electric backup elements were not working. At 4000 watts they should heat the entire coach. Opinions vary from Jim Rixen's who said the electric feature should do just what the book says, "provide all or part of the necessary heat," to Hurricane who says they won't do much. The hurricane tech was surprised when I read him the manual that says otherwise.
We are familiar with these systems in boats and should have caught the fact that CC did not design it correctly. Every system should have at least 1 intermediate heater / storage / heat exchange tank--6 gallons or more. [Most boat installations have two] As designed without the storage tank there is no way to capture engine-heated water or to store water heated by electricity. Every time a tap is opened, even for a few drops, the diesel fires. This is not correct. It should fire and heat a reservoir. In fairness to CC, they have been very responsive, both with the techs, and in redesigning the system. They installed the missing reservoir. The engine coolant now goes to it as well as the boiler tank. They moved one of the 20 amp circuits to the new 6 gallon heater. No loss since the Hurricane doesn't work anyway. The one mistake they made was in not moving the thermostat to the new tank, which I will do myself. So as currently wired, the water heater side of the hurricane must be shut off in order to have the electric unit work without the diesel continuing to fire constantly. We haven't actually used the system yet, but expect it to work. We are having trouble with a low voltage message on the surge protector on our regular 20 amp circuit, if the new heater is on. Leads me to believe the two electric elements on the hurricane were never functioning.
Sorry to be so long, but you asked for it. This is only a fraction of what we have been through. If anyone is contemplating a change, I would be happy to mail a diagram of a standard system.

Doug Rosenberg
03 Allure 30929

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 5705
Doug, please send me the info, even after the board update, mine continues to have problems.

bill@...
thanks,

Bill Harris

03 Allure 1st Ave

Quote from: Doug Rosenberg
As response to a number of requests I will detail the problems we
have had with the Hurricane on our 03 Allure.

................... If anyone is contemplating a change, I would be
happy to mail a diagram of a standard system.

Hurricane

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 7644
Regarding Hurricane fuel pumps, mine [on the replacement unit] went out in 5 hours. It is very similar to a standard NAPA pump, but check the length of the neck and carry spare nipples and hose. No problem to find unless you are out in the desert with freezing nights and miles from nowhere. Another hint, a glue syringe is a good way to prime the diesel line.
As to plugging one outlet on the mixing valve at the boiler, how is that going to stop the leaks? The fluid has to be going somewhere. It is either leaking into the boiler, into the domestic water system, or venting through some external leak. I will be interested in the outcome of this "fix," and will be interested in the explanation of how this was the problem.

Doug 03 Allure 30929

Hurricane

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 19378
The Hurricane in our 01 Magna will not light... tries to then stops, tries to then stop, on and on.

The fuel air bleed is open. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Randy, 01 Magna, # 5991

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 19381
Are you getting any fault codes in the display panel? Does it do it for both heat and water? Could be the nozzle.

Larry #30856

Quote from: randallafox

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 19384
Our unit is heat only and nope, no fault codes. I agree, it must be the nozzle.

Randy, 01 Magna # 5991

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 19389
Have you ever replaced the fuel filter for the Hurricane and clean the nozzle after that? I went thru a whole lot of trouble with mine but got it fixed!

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 19397
Randy, it's probably a dirty nozzle or fuel filter, but I had a recent experience with mine I'd never had before. Same symptoms as yours, but before calling Hurrocane I realized I was very low on diesel fuel and there is probably a safety feature like for the generator to keep you from running out of fuel for your engine. Sure enough, when I filled the diesel tank the problem disappeared. In the past I was highly critical of Hurricane, but now am very happy with it. Steve, at Hurricane, is very helpful in walking you through any problem.

Walt Rothermel
03Allure30811