Skip to main content
Topic: Vmspc and cummins oil pressure (Read 988 times) previous topic - next topic

Vmspc and cummins oil pressure

Yahoo Message Number: 55075
I use silverleaf vmspc connected to my laptop. It all works very well but I noticed that my oil pressure in the vmspc always reads 55. The dash gauge reads differently depending on the engine state, just started versus running normal. Is this 55 just a limitiation of vmspc for this engine and setup? If so, are there other ways to show some sort of oil pressure indications with vmspc.

Regards,

Steve

04 Inspire #51075

Re: Vmspc and cummins oil pressure

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 55076
I believe the engine ecu either sees acceptable oil pressure or not acceptable oil pressure, it shows it as 55 if is is okay or 0 if not

mikee

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 55078
As I recall, when I had a VMSPC on my Cummins 400 ISL (in SOB), it read the actual oil pressure.

--

Lee Zaborowski
07 Intrigue 12153
--------------

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 55079
One thing I noticed while using Cummins engines in 18 wheelers, oil pressure is low enough to hold my attention. I spoke to several (not relying on just one) mechanics, and they all said Cummins relies on low pressure/high volume oil flow. When I shopped for a RV I looked for Cummins, and I have not been disappointed. But I still keep an eye on the oil pressure gauge.
I always look for confirmation of that, so mikee, please feel free to chime in. ;*)

Merry Christmas, everyone.

Jack Nichols

2003 Intrigue, Cummins 400 ISL

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 55083
Steve,

On my ISC 350 the oil pressure on VMSpc varies from about 80 on start up, then goes lower as engine warms to a nominal 58-60 at normal operating temperature and hiway speed, down to about 20 at normal operating temperature at idle RPM (600 RPM). Thus, what you are seeing is not related to any VMSpc limitation. A call to Silverleaf may be in order.
There is one other possibility. I understand that some engines were equipped with a "go - no go" type of oil pressure sensor that produced the type of result you report. Probably need to call you engine maker.
I trust the VMSpc readings. I believe they are more accurate and have a quicker response time than any dash gauges. The VMSpc does use the exact same sensors as the dash gauges.

Jim M.
SOB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 55088
You could be correct on that engine. There are some that do not operate that way. One thing that is consistent is inconsistency.

Mikee

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 55102
I use Vmspc in my '03 Intrigue with a 400 ISL and get the 55 psi reading all the time. I also have heard that the ecu gets a good or bad reading and displays good as 55 psi. It sure seems like an important element to have working in such an elementary way but, what can you do?

Greg Jones

'03 Intrigue 11571

Vmspc and Cummins oil pressure

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 55080
Do you know the definition of acceptable or how I would find that out? In other words if oil pressure is down to 10 will vmspc report 0 or 55. I should have mentioned that the engine is the Cummins 350 ISC if that matters.

Regards,

Steve

04 Inspire #51075

Re: Vmspc and Cummins oil pressure

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 55081
Hi Steve. Why don't you call Silverleaf Customer Service and ask if the unit should be reading actual pressure or not? IMHO, 0 or 55 doesn't seem right for that unit.

--

Lee Zaborowski
07 Intrigue 12153

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 55086
HI Steve and George

I just became interested in the Vmspc set up for my 04 Inspire. What was the initial outlay for the unit and where is the best place to buy.

Regards and Merry Christmas
Jerry an Inspired Orphan
2004 Inspire 51012

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 55089
Acceptable oil pressure is determined by a "table" RPM, temp, load usually. So 10 may or may not be acceptable depending on engine parameters at that instant. The rule of thumb is 1.5 lbs pre 100 rpm, so at 600 rpm 9 lbs would be acceptable, as an example

Mikee

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 55094
It is true that the ISL reports oil pressure to the ECU and that the ECU reports 55 PSI if OK and 0 if not OK.
The definition of OK is whatever the Cummins engineers have programmed into the ECU as acceptable. I don't know what that is but my dash analog gauge reads way low(10 lbs) when engine is hot and I am stopped. The gauge reads about 80 lbs on cold start up. I have almost 1,937 hours and 88,000 miles without a problem so I have learned to trust the engineers on this one.

George in Birmingham(currently sitting near Atlanta) '04 Allure 31038
George in Birmingham
2003 Magna 6298

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 55095
Lee,

My Silverleaf reads 55 at all times. It has never read 0, gratefully.
This is with an ISL 370 uprated by Cummins to 400. I have spoken with both Cummins and Silverleaf and they say that is as designed. An additional sensor cold be installed with the Silerleaf as the reader but it doesn't seem worthwhile to me.

George in Birmingham(currently in Atlanta) '04 Allure 31038
George in Birmingham
2003 Magna 6298